ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

-=*NS Map Competition*=- OMG!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 6:24 pm    Post subject: -=*NS Map Competition*=- OMG! Reply with quote

Hello boys & girls,

I'm planning to run a European NS League which will run the same as the current EDL, but instead of the OS classic maps it will consist of a couple of old NS maps plus I'd love to have 4 brand new 1vs1 maps to be on show used in this new league!

When I created Xc7_ some years ago it was used for the NS Grandslam and had an amazing response - I combined it with fastchainandrockets.wad and adjusted the settings;
Gravity: 80%
Air Control: 20%
DMFLAGS: 283724
DMFLAGS2: 134348801

It took some time to get these settings right but it paid off with an incredible tournament. Now I've always wanted to do an NS League but never thought there's been enough decent maps dedicated for fast paced NS dooming. There may be some mappers out there that have created or half finished very decent NS maps and I'd love to call out some of you guys to develop some awesome creations for this upcoming tournament.

I'd love to keep the same settings as above for the whole tournament so players can get used to similar settings for each map played out. It'd be great to have a variation of maps, nothing too large and most taking advantage of the DMFLAGS at hand, above. If you want to get the feel for what I mean, please take the time to Arrow DOWNLOAD this. This has both Xc7_ and fastchainandrockets in, get these in your wad folder then bash in those settings above, have a little run around and you'll get an idea of what I'm after for this league.

You'll see how there are jump pads, nicely placed health and weapons. I want to see risky play, some nice jumps and moves, well placed items and a smooth moving map. I've got a great feeling about this League and it's not really been done before so why not promote it with some incredible fresh maps!?

Thoughts please,

Nero.

EDIT: Also, if you'd like to talk to me further you can catch me on IRC at #ENS or feel free to PM on the forums in regards to this tournament.
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a hand in a skulltag NS duel pack called MSDuel quite a while ago, and ran some tournaments on that in ST. It was quite fun playing and mapping for NS... this looks exciting, so you can definitely count on something from me.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be down for making a map.

Are you allowing custom textures and flats, or just what's provided?
Also, are you looking at running this on 1.09 servers or no?
Last, have you looked at my weapons mod? ::nudge, nudge:: Smile

Op-Cow
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly would like to thank you both for getting back to me so quickly, I'm excited to see this get attention swiftly. The more people who get involved the better. Op-Cow, I'm more than happy for you guys to use textures and flats as you see fit - It'd be nice to see some creations go along with the dark/red feel of Xc7, but I'm not too bothered. As for servers? The league will be featuring on 1.09 servers only (providing demos are recordable at this point (I'm sure they will)). What weapons mod exactly are you speaking about?

I'm very excited to see what you both can come up with. I'd also like to point out the height variation is a big thing for me in this league and being able to optimise the height range and still using the rockets as best we can.

Thanks again guys,

Nero.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly joking about the weapons mod. It's in the ZD Review section. it replaces the BFG with a flame thrower and speeds up the pistol so you don't have to place spawns on top of weapons. It could be integrated with the patch you already have made with just a bit of copy/paste if you were so inclined.

I'll build with the Xc7 aesthetic in mind.

Op-Cow
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, here's a map. Hope you like it.
Heavy use of your textures, one custom flat. No music.

https://sites.google.com/site/opcow4/11oc.wad

Op-Cow
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! I haven't had a chance to playtest it just yet but I've run around the map and it feels and looks great. Loving the height variation and it's quite open which is a nice change from Xc7. I'm looking forward to having some games here and seeing what it's really about. Great work, Op-Cow Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might come up with something, but don't hold your breath. I'd like to do something really N.S. using some of my new creations [link] [link]

But, y'know, I've made plenty of maps in the past which you might consider using.
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's a preview of what I have coming... the first map out of 2.

http://imgur.com/a/kctmS

http://www.speedyshare.com/SerAj/sacrifice.wad

Sacrifice is designed to look a little more Doom-like, with no fancy texturing or mapping techniques. In fact, it looks really bare bones. But give it a shot, you may just like it.

Critique, etc, welcome.
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have yet one question to ask before I work further on what I already started, could it be possible to add +NoGravity to all the items? This would allow the mappers to put items mid-air. Smile
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes perfect sense for an NS project, and shouldn't make things any harder for people.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello guys! Thanks for the replies.

Oxyde: Yes! Definitely make use of nogravity items, this will add a nice to touch and it's something Xc7 doesn't have. Id also love to see really hard to get healtpacks, the jump I made on Xc took ages to perfect (shame I did it with normal gravity, it's easy now!)

Shark: You've got to get involved Smile looking forward to what the pair of you can rustle up!

Decay: I'll get back to you on that map on my return.this weekend. Loving it all thus far guys.

Thanks again,

Nero
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about you, Nero? You got anything fresh to contribute?
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'm extremely limited on time personally. But I do have a few maps I created some time ago that could do with some playtesting and editing, let alone texturing Smile If I get sometime I can throw a few things together, sure. Would be great to collaborate a few ideas together...
Decay
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://speedy.sh/Y8CqG/ensmap01.wad This contains both of my maps, music, textures, flats, and credits. Map01 is Sacrifice, a black and red hell themed map, and Map02 is Waste, an industrial sewer.
luca
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im making a map for this but I have a couple of questions , what is the max filezise of the map and when this competition is going to end since I don't have time to mapping this week Confused .

Btw here is a couple of screenshots of my map:
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/luca95/Screenshot_Doom_20120611_002044_01.png
http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/luca95/Screenshot_Doom_20120611_001951.png
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Luca,

There's no real timelimit on this yet, it might roll on for over a month so get enough activity and interest in the thread. Those pics are looking great, keep up the good work! Very excited to see what you'll have when it's finished Smile
The Ultimate DooMer
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What older maps are you thinking of using?
ModeneseAdriano
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/65807680/wads/dio_caneb1.zip

if you think layout is somewhat worthy I'll finish it with some more detailing/testing/etc
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TUD: We're going to use Xc7_ and potentially CDuel. But I'd love a lot of fresh maps for this, might have a 7-map pool at this rate!

Modenese: I shall check this out soon. Very busy at the moment, but thank you got getting in touch! Looks like this is causing a stir Smile

Nero
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: