ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Should we use 1.09 or 1.08 for servers?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Should we use 1.09 or 1.08 for servers?
58%
 58%  [ 10 ]
41%
 41%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 17

Eagle-Eye
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:12 pm    Post subject: Should we use 1.09 or 1.08 for servers? Reply with quote

So I've recently heard that 1.09 doesn't record demos and this is a bit of an issue for me seeing as EDL will be host to some incredible matches that will definitely be worth a watch in years to come - As did the previous EDLs and I've got many amazing demos Wink

The alternative to using 1.09 is, of course, 1.08 though the issue I face with this is that my internet restricts me from, not only playing in those servers, but connecting to them at all. Which means as host of the league and a premier league player I'll be unable to watch any of the games live, let alone compete aha.

This is an issue for me seeing as I've come out of a long time away to run and compete in Europeans greatest duel league but at the end of the day it's a community league and I'd much prefer a vote on this because I'm just one dude afterall. Please vote and we'll get the server(s) changed, if need be, asap.

Much love,

Nero

Last edited by Eagle-Eye on Sat May 05, 2012 2:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eagle-Eye
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get some feedback please as to why people are choosing? As I am getting information that 1.09 can record demos? Need help as this is my taking part in the league at stake here ha.

Thanks
Oxyde
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course 1.09 offers a much more smooth connection and lesser missed packets, but the thing is, it indeed doesn't record demos. So far 1.09 gets my vote, provided we could get an extra version just for the purpose of the league.
If not, then let's stick to 1.08.
Eagle-Eye
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Oxyde! Right seeing as I'm not exactly around enough to chat and wait around for people can someone possibly do some legwork for me into finding out if that would be a possibility? As I'd love to partake in my own league and watch all of these incredible games live Smile

Thanks in advance Wink
ModeneseAdriano
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the current situation I vote for 108.. hopefully admins will release a 109 version with recording enabled
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suppose the poll says 1.08; what will you do when 1.09 goes out in the middle of your games?
Sniper
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont see a problem in using 1.08, although it would be a bit of a bummer if you couldnt take part if we did, Nero. Maybe the question isn't which version of zdaemon to use, the solution might be to solve the problem of why you cant use 1.08?
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, yeah. I've not heard of anybody else having that particular problem before. Anyone tried getting to the bottom of that?

Kilgore wrote:
Suppose the poll says 1.08; what will you do when 1.09 goes out in the middle of your games?

I don't understand what you're suggesting by that? That they should forego demo recording, and proceed on 1.09 now? Or that they should suspend their activity until a recording-enabled version materialises?

Neither option seems paritcularly palatable to me. The more that competetive play around here increases, the more pronounced this schism between having a "fully" functional .08 and an improved-but-stunted .09 seems to become.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok shark. whatever...
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell?

I'm just saying that tourney guys sure do like their demos, is all. No need to be like that
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm like WHAT? I'm courteous here in not giving you a reply that fits your offensive (and totally undeserved) tone and you want me to apologize for it?
Eagle-Eye
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused in all this. Can someone please explain - Is there anyway to record demos in the current 1.09? Even if they can't be played back right now, if they can be recorded somehow then I'll be inclined to use 1.09 and have a future 1.09 whereas we can watch back the demos.

I'm going to have to suspend the start of the league to the weekend until all of this is resolved and we have a solution... Looks like I'll just have to miss out of partaking in the league as it stands.

Nero
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is there anyway to record demos in the current 1.09? Even if they can't be played back right now, if they can be recorded somehow then I'll be inclined to use 1.09 and have a future 1.09 whereas we can watch back the demos.
No, you can't. I did state it explicitly when we talked about it.

And hearing about this becoming an issue NOW (when it could have been talked about and resolved earlier) and on the forum (rather than in private)... what can I say. I expected better from people I'm cooperating with. Good luck with whatever you want to do.
ModeneseAdriano
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a simple request(enabling recording in 1.09), I don't see any reason to go that defensive to be honest
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When the 1.09 public beta was announced, the following was indicated in the news post:

"Demo recording is not supported in the 1.09 beta release because the netcode protocol is not finalized yet (ie., those demos would not be playable later on)."

That sums up why it is not enabled.
turSKA
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Demos...i choose you!
Fluffles
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't it be logical to just use 1.08 till the release of 1.09 if it comes out in the middle of this season?
dewww
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fluffles wrote:
Wouldn't it be logical to just use 1.08 till the release of 1.09 if it comes out in the middle of this season?

nope, that's a horrible idea, half of the league (or at least half of div1) would refuse such a massive change throughout the competition. there would be no common benchmark, that's for sure.

the strictly logical course of action is to postpone edl until 109 supports demos. i really, really want to never go back to 108 now that we have a superior engine, but no demos = no high-profile league. it's either 108 for all of it or nothing.
SwiftShot
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's ok I'll use my camera to video the games and stick it on youtube for you.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, for anybody who saw a post here from me which then [insert X-files theme] eerily vanished?

I deleted it myself. I realised I'd erred right after I posted it, and that it was more suited to a PM. Apologies to anyone who was looking for evidence of some evil governmental conspiracy to steal all our posts Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Duel League All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: