ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Railgun Zoom related thing

View previous topic :: View next topic  
julz_d
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Railgun Zoom related thing Reply with quote

I just got a chance to try out the new railgun zoom feature and it is very nice!

Thing is though, I was in a smaller style map, and instead of actually zooming way in I just toggled it in and out. Then it hit me. This feels like iron sights, and I like it.

So my question is to the devs: will this zooming style feature be moddable into other weapons? You could do iron sights with just a quick toggle of a button. Just sounded like fun.

-Julz Smile
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the zooming is a standalone dmflag. so it works on any weapon when enabled.
julz_d
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah ok.

Well, it just felt like playing a different game in a way. Pressing a zoom toggle button on my mouse is basically like i just put on iron sights - pretty cool actually. Thing is if you could get rid of the zoom scope thing or whatever you call it, you could actually use it for such purposes as iron sights (just pressing the button and it won't zoom any further. / press again to go back to regular view)

My idea is just to limit some weapons to basic zoom (for iron sights) and leave the full zoom for scoped weapons. It would probably be a fun mod!

This all depends on the "editablity" of this new Zdaemon feature. Some sort of LMP file could probably do the job. I'm interested on any input that could make this possible. Smile
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to disappoint, but the zoom was meant for railgun usage mostly.
it was never planned to allow it for certain weapons only or to make the zoom behaviour customizable and i highly doubt that this will happen in the future.
julz_d
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:
sorry to disappoint, but the zoom was meant for railgun usage mostly.
it was never planned to allow it for certain weapons only or to make the zoom behaviour customizable and i highly doubt that this will happen in the future.

It could be done if .lmp file indicating what to zoom was there. Should be - it gives mappers like me and others inspiration!
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

julz_d wrote:
It could be done [...]. Should be [...]

We could also add pink unicorns that jump around your screen while you play. Wink
I think we shouldn't implement your request though - it gives developers like me and others a headache.
julz_d
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:
julz_d wrote:
It could be done [...]. Should be [...]

We could also add pink unicorns that jump around your screen while you play. Wink
I think we shouldn't implement your request though - it gives developers like me and others a headache.

I'm going to ignore that insult. Yes I know nothing about coding zdaemon, but I did just connect some dots.

lmp file that does the following:

You see a graphic upon zooming.
You can zoom in as far as the game lets you.

If there were ever a way to customize that graphic (per specific weapon), as well as how far players can zoom in (again per specific weapon) there could be a lot of things to be made with that.

And yes, some sort of LMP file is really the only thing I could guess would work for that type of "editability". If you feel it would give you a headache or take years to do then don't bother obviously.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: