ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conflict with video player

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fx02
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:43 pm    Post subject: Conflict with video player Reply with quote

While playing video in MPC-HC (VMR-9) if I start Zdaemon or even latest Zdoom in fullscreen, MPC-HC crashes. I have Nvidia GPU if that matters.
I know this "bug" can be avoided by simple closing MPC-HC but maybe it's easy to fix so my son can watch cartoons while I pwn Smile

If I start Doom 3 or prboom+ everything is fine.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use 10808b (available on the downloads page) ? older releases used 256-color modes in fullscreen; it doesn't look like that could play nice with a video player in the background. The most recent version uses 24-bit color which may resolve the problem.
fx02
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I'm a version freak, always using latest available Smile
tm512
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the latest ZDoom use SDL on Windows? I don't think ZDaemon does, I know PrBoom does, and I bet Doom 3 does as well.

If this is the case, I would be willing to bet on placing the blame on the video library ZD uses, which I think is called Hermes?

On the flipside, it could be fmod's fault as well.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZD uses DirectDraw from the DirectX API.

fx02: maybe change VMR9 to 7 or Overlay? or you could try VLC for playback as well.
I suppose you have 2 monitors attached. try not to maximize the video player and you
might want to look into the screen commandline for zd (on which screen the client should go fullscreen)
Venom
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fx02 wrote:
While playing video in MPC-HC (VMR-9) if I start Zdaemon or even latest Zdoom in fullscreen, MPC-HC crashes. I have Nvidia GPU if that matters.
I know this "bug" can be avoided by simple closing MPC-HC but maybe it's easy to fix so my son can watch cartoons while I pwn Smile

If I start Doom 3 or prboom+ everything is fine.

This is caused by the fact that ZDaemon uses DirectDraw API that has real fullscreen mode. It locks whole screen's framebuffer for ZDaemon and prevents other applications from locking any parts of it. You're probably running two monitors and ZDaemon doesn't check that, so it locks also the second monitor. Anyway this can be prevented, I think.

Doom 3 uses OpenGL, which doesn't provide fullscreen support, so you have to fake one. This is done by first changing your monitor display to game's resolution and then resizing game's window to fill whole screen. This is naturally bit slower than real fullscreen mode, where Windows doesn't need to think about other applications trying to draw something on screen.

tm512 wrote:
Does the latest ZDoom use SDL on Windows? I don't think ZDaemon does, I know PrBoom does, and I bet Doom 3 does as well.

If this is the case, I would be willing to bet on placing the blame on the video library ZD uses, which I think is called Hermes?

On the flipside, it could be fmod's fault as well.

ZDoom used to use DirectDraw just like prBoom, but they for some reason changed it (maybe because of win7 palette issues). ZDoom went to Direct3D renderer. I don't personally prefer this method, as DirectDraw gives you simply straight access to framebuffer and is that way best solution for software renderers under Windows.

Doom 3 doesn't use SDL as far as I know. Very few (comercial) Windows games are actually using it, as it's just simple wrapper to native API in OpenGL programming. For windows pretty much all games are using native WinAPI to initialize window and then either Direct3D or OpenGL to render on screen. These are native APIs for windows and all other 3rd party librarys are going through them, so that's why they're not so popular. You can see SDL used only in some freetime projects where crossplatform is wanted.

I'm not sure how SDL handles fullscreen under Windows, but I bet that it also uses the fake one, so that's why prBoom isn't causing it. (Not like this is impossible to fix under DirectX.)
fx02
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changing to VMR-7 is not a solution since I'm unable to render subtitles then, and there is no DXVA for HD movies either and I don't want to change options all the time.
With VLC there is no problems. If no other solution I'll use VLC for cartoons Smile

btw. I'm using Windows XP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: