ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Delay before intermission
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tm512
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Delay before intermission Reply with quote

This is more of an aesthetics thing. In Skulltag and Odamex, after a match is won, there is a small delay where the winner is displayed (about 1 second), and every player is unable to move. Then the game goes into intermission as usual.

It's a minor detail, but it's one of those things I noticed that could easily be made a bit better.
[SIN]Torment
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly I would just prefer to go straight to the intermission screen. Not only is it faster but I would easily know who won just by looking on the score board.

Though that's just me, I like my Doom to go to the next map as soon as possible after the current one ends.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed with Torment. Players being frozen before going to the intermission screen is a little too much dilly-dallying for my taste.
tm512
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not so sure, coming from the other ports, it feels extremely abrupt.
It doesn't need to be a very long freeze, just enough to ease the transition a bit
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can see what you're saying TM. But, as you say, that's with your experience of otherports.

There is absolutely no need for this, simply to homogenise the various engines. The scoreboard itself provides all the answers and - along with ingame messages and Vox announcements - then there is really unlikely to be nothing actually unclear (or abrupt) about any of it.

Just look at it logically:
The intermission is just that (and of more than sufficient duration)
What you propose would be a 'pre-intermission intermission'. How much sense does that make when spelled out that way?
tm512
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not for the sake of extending intermission at all, it's meant to ease the transition into intermission since the current way is very abrupt. Also, Cybershark, just because this is from other source ports does not invalidate this as something to add.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if the pause were brief enough, I might welcome such an addition. But by brief, I mean until the last player who dies finishes their sound/animation/palette sequence.

At the moment, if you're the final killer, the last image you see is your victim with a bunch of blood splatter. You don't even get to see them die! And as the final victim, the last thing you'll see is a screen full of red. I think it would actually be neat to freeze the game and let those sequences play out before jumping to the intermission.

I believe that would make a great compromise here.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EQ's suggestion sounds like a nice way to go. But if it's only one (or two) guys doing the asking then I doubt we'll be seeing such adaptations anytime ever.

tm512 wrote:
It's not for the sake of extending intermission at all, it's meant to ease the transition into intermission since the current way is very abrupt.

Sure it is, but on any server worth its salt then you'd have some vox telling you that there is 'one frag left', 'one minute left', 'red flag has been taken', etc, etc. The only exception to this is standard Co-op/Survival, where you can be totally blindsided by someone completing the map.

tm512 wrote:
Also, Cybershark, just because this is from other source ports does not invalidate this as something to add.

Eh, you're either misinterpretting (or twisting) my meaning there. Your inference seems to be that I'm some kind of 'portist'? There's plenty of somethings from other ports that I'd welcome with open arms. But this is frivolous and... well, in Legions video rants not once was there an accusation that ZD sucks because it doesn't pause before intermission Laughing

On the flipside, I find Skulltag's manner of throwing you straight into the next map (following the intermission) to be annoying and intrusive, and I resent having to press a key to rejoin the spectators. But it's not something that I lose sleep over Razz
tm512
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EarthQuake wrote:
I think if the pause were brief enough, I might welcome such an addition. But by brief, I mean until the last player who dies finishes their sound/animation/palette sequence.

Basically this. It really doesn't have to be that long, just enough so it is not so abrupt, I don't think it is good as it is at all.

Cybershark wrote:
Sure it is, but on any server worth its salt then you'd have some vox telling you that there is 'one frag left', 'one minute left', 'red flag has been taken', etc, etc.

Skulltag has this too, this is irrelevant.
[SIN]Torment
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see anything abrupt about it in the first place, the screen wipe option is meant to alleviate that feeling of abrupt-ness in the first place (and honestly it feels more abrupt when screen wipe isn't on).
tm512
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment, I'll just quote EQ since he pretty much sums up exactly why it's abrupt.

EarthQuake wrote:
At the moment, if you're the final killer, the last image you see is your victim with a bunch of blood splatter. You don't even get to see them die! And as the final victim, the last thing you'll see is a screen full of red.
[SIN]Torment
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it slightly humorous that you quote EQ (not that what he says is bad or anything), but you quote him as if it was what you were trying to say from the beginning (you're talking about the feel of the transition and he's talking about what you see compared to what you want to see). Though I guess! I'm not the one making the decision in the end.

btw, I don't think aesthetics means what you think it does Wink
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i like they way it is now

To add in another 1-3 Seconds take even longer for games!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
tm512
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Torment wrote:
I find it slightly humorous that you quote EQ (not that what he says is bad or anything), but you quote him as if it was what you were trying to say from the beginning

I didn't go into detail myself about what was making it abrupt. EQ basically summed that up. Although I think the freeze should last a tiny bit longer (20 tics or so?) than he suggested.

Torment wrote:
I don't think aesthetics means what you think it does

If you want to start nitpicking at my word choice, then I'll just say that I think the current transition is ugly. I'm not sure there's much of a better that I would describe a patch like this.

rygrass wrote:
To add in another 1-3 Seconds take even longer for games!

If it's really that big of a deal, take that time off of the intermission screen. Problem solved.

Anyway, I'll be sure to avoid making suggestions in the future.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on, don't be like that
Suggestions are always gonna be welcome. And it's not like this thread gave you got a huge sample of player feedback for (or against) the idea.

But look, nobody has ever complained about this in the past (despite many of them playing on otherports too). Ergo nobody ever had a problem with the transition before, and as such then they clearly saw no reason to see it altered here.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first i thought that we should emulate the same behaviour as the other ports and was about to reject it,
but EQs comment hit the nail on the head and i am sure that tm512 was thinking of something similar, but just didnt pinpoint it that well.
So no need to start interpreting single words here Wink.

Keep in mind though that this is a very cosmetic 'issue'. When there is time i'll think some more about it and we'll see what comes out of it.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to keep in mind is any inconsistency/incompatibility with OS behavior arising from implementing something like this. I can't recall what happens in the case of vanilla (it probably acts like ZDaemon does now), so we might be looking at a OS flag or lumping this together with another dmflag.

I guess what I'm saying is that it might not be welcomed by the purists amongst us (although ZDaemon in itself is still pretty far from "pure", so the point might be pretty moot anyways). Heh, nevermind. ^.^

Personally I think it would be cool, but it's really so minor, I don't think I'd care too much if the idea was rejected.
tm512
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, vanilla doesn't have a way to set a fraglimit. If there is a timelimit set, however, it will exit as soon as the limit hits.

A dmflag for something like this is stupid. It's a minor change that shouldn't need to warrant that. Either make it happen globally or don't make it happen at all. My opinion is that the former would be better.

EarthQuake wrote:
I guess what I'm saying is that it might not be welcomed by the purists amongst us (although ZDaemon in itself is still pretty far from "pure", so the point might be pretty moot anyways).

Purists would be playing vanilla or Chocolate Doom, anyone that claims to be a purist and plays ZDaemon is, well, not so much of a purist. Wink

Cybershark wrote:
Suggestions are always gonna be welcome.

I'm sure I can think of a couple that (even though they make sense) would cause me to be banned or have the community mob me with disapproval. Whatever though.
[SIN]Torment
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZDaemon Purist Very Happy
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word! Very Happy

tm512 wrote:
Cybershark wrote:
Suggestions are always gonna be welcome.

I'm sure I can think of a couple that (even though they make sense) would cause me to be banned or have the community mob me with disapproval. Whatever though.

Damn, now you got me really curious what they could be! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: