ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Stuff Soon!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: New Stuff Soon! Reply with quote

Yo!

Long time no see. I'm planning on coming back to run some more tourneys and leagues and whatnot at some point over the next few months... Hell, I'm even planning on getting some GB vs WHOEVER games on the go, too.

Shall be fraggin' you bitches, soon.
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

\o/
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and Thad might actually get his shit together too Razz
capodecima
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice to see you nero
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I have to admit, I announced 2 tourneys and ( clanorama and Vendetta) and rl got in the way, but I'll get round to them eventually.
IleKallio
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're running OS duel tourneys next month, I'm in Smile
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of firstly running a small, duel league. OS maps only, of course. Working on rules etc NOW!
Dopefish
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
<Dannyboy> Who the fuck
<Dannyboy> is
<Dannyboy> Nero
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crushing irony... Laughing

I thought my day had been pretty good already, but Dope just iced it off there!
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats so ironic about asking someone who nero is?
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dannyboy wrote:
whats so ironic about asking someone who nero is?

Well, firstly let's contextualise - you didn't ask who Nero is, you asked who the fuck he is.

And the irony here is that the exact same question was floated when you first showed up in tourneys.
'cept that time around it was everybody doing the asking, not just one guy Laughing
Konar6
Prepare your eyes!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though I can see Dannyboy's confusion - someone who left the community ages ago suddenly appears with some promises of running a tourney.

Unlike Nero (and Thadeuss, for that matter), Dannyboy is actually running tourneys, not just making promises.

And if you really intend to run some Euro tourney, Nero, good luck with that. Good luck finding enough people to participate. You can call it "ZECT: The second coming" or something, lol.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A small EDL is on the way 100% - It's in the works Smile
capodecima
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konar6 wrote:
And if you really intend to run some Euro tourney, Nero, good luck with that. Good luck finding enough people to participate. You can call it "ZECT: The second coming" or something, lol.
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Konar6 wrote:
Though I can see Dannyboy's confusion - someone who left the community ages ago suddenly appears with some promises of running a tourney.

Unlike Nero (and Thadeuss, for that matter), Dannyboy is actually running tourneys, not just making promises.

I attempted to get 2 tourneys off of the ground since the last Vendetta, but as I said, real life issues took me away from having the time to do it. I tried to get some other people on board to help admin it, but they weren't willing to if I didn't have the time to put into it.

I've ran several tourneys in my time on ZD, some successful, some not, but I think the fact that myself and Nero ( who ran quite a few successful ones) have both contributed in the past in terms of trying to get the community going again, we deserve a little slack if we announce something that doesn't come to fruition because rl gets in the way.

The biggest problem in this community is that people complain, but aren't willing to do anything about it. Anything done here is done in people's spare time so people should be a little more grateful in my mind to the ones who contribute. It really does sadden me that public and private CTF has died for the most part. When I had the time to play most nights up until about a year ago, there were games everywhere. There would be at least 2 active CTF servers publicly and private matches going on.

I do feel that the decline started when people decided to shun playing anything public over the past couple of years. An elitism grew where players balked at the very idea of playing publicly, even though that's where they first had fun and learned to play. When the clan scene, national teams, and public servers were all popular, players played all sorts of games. If I wasn't involved in a UBR match against a plethora of other Euro clans, I was playing a game with GB against the Czechs or French. If that wasn't happening I'd be in a public server along with many top European players. We played the oublic servers because they were a laugh, no pressure. It didn't matter if you won or lost and you could identify up and coming players ( quite a few players who went on to be pretty great started out in UBR because we recruited them from public servers!)

How can we attract new players when servers aren't played? The truth is we can't. Get back in those public servers and new players will be bled which will kick start the community. People say it doesn't work that way, but I've found if I sit in any server for a while, other players turn up, whether it be CTF or otherwise. I just do something else on the computer while I wait, then when I hear someone join, I play.

I'm getting off the point, but it irks me when people get tetchy when at least people like Nero and myself tried. Get off your backsides and actually do something about it if it bothers you! I genuinely believe the the biggest problem we have is that experienced players refuse to play with newer ones. Many of the experienced ones fall away eventually as they get bit older and now there is no one to replace them!
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My my, just let him run tourneys and we see what will happen.
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thadeuss wrote:
The biggest problem in this community is that people complain, but aren't willing to do anything about it.

Thadeuss wrote:
I'm getting off the point, but it irks me when people get tetchy when at least people like Nero and myself tried. Get off your backsides and actually do something about it if it bothers you!

Ummm ... Konar and Myself Did Try to get things running with the ZECT Tournament.

It was great at first, we had about 30+ people sign up to it, we had 6 teams of 5 players, and still had people left over in reserve. The first week went according to plan, everyone played their games, and it looked on course to be a successful tourney. However after week 1, the real inactvity of Euro ZD kicked in. about 10 out of the 30+ people who signed up remained interested, or even active enough to play and many games wern't played. In the end I resorted to asking IDL stars such as nostar, LB and strangle to help revive it, and they did for the most part (well at least they played their shit). In the end, we didn't even get a final played because of severe lack of Euro's, and people who signed up without even playing a game.

Anyway my point is, I'm pretty sure a lot of people on ZD do try and get their own tournaments started up (as small as they may be). But at the moment ZD (or at least Euro ZD) simply dosn't have enough people/activity for one of these CTF tournament's you have said that you will bring to ZD, I think that was Konar's point.

Anyway whatever happens, I really hope your and Nero's attempts of bringing another tournament back to ZD is much more successful than my attempt was. Like Nero said above, maybe it's best to start off with an 1-1 Tourney and see where you go from there. Good Luck.
Thadeuss
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's best to start off small and see how much interest you can gain. Start with an invite only tourney. The first CTF tourney I ran only had 3 teams, UBR, dp, and THE. I think if you start small then increase it the next time round you'll get more interest, and a chance of it finishing. Anything I've failed at has always been down to trying to make it too big. If I did one now ( which I only would if I was active enough to play in it) I would form the teams myself out of the players that are definitely here. It was the same with Oceania, have a tourney, if you can only get 4 people then do it anyway and keep doing it until people catch on.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> European Tournaments All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: