ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vampire mode: cvar to scale drained health.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Vampire mode: cvar to scale drained health. Reply with quote

Request: a cvar to control how much health you drain from monsters by inflicting damage to them. Like, sv_vampire_scale or something like that.

I'm posting this thinking of the FMM sessions. I strongly feel it would drastically improve the gameplay if you could drain only 0.3 - 0.5 of how much you drain now. Ronald does have a valid point of using vampire mode to improve things for not-too-experienced players, however current vampire mode sometimes gives way too much and kills the fun, allowing you to hold down W + mouse1 keys and beat some of the maps like that.

This might also need to have an exception check. If the scale is set to a low value, you still could drain at least 1 HP by performing any attack. Yeah, you potentially could abuse this with Chaingun to gain health faster, however Chaingun itself is a pretty weak weapon for Coop. You probably would rather pick another available weapon to deal more damage; at the same time, Chaingun would be more of a "healing" weapon. And after all, Vampire mode's primary use is in Coop, isn't it? Though maybe this "1 HP minimum" thing isn't a good idea but I still thought it's better to mention it, just in case.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Vampire mode: cvar to scale drained health. Reply with quote

Nice idea.

Although, currently, the maximum amount of health that a player can accrue from monsterslaying can simply be capped at a lower value via a DEHACKED change to maxhealth.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sr69Mm-jC wrote:
And after all, Vampire mode's primary use is in Coop, isn't it?
Certainly NOT. It's intended for NS DM; in fact it was not working in coop at all until certain people petitioned for it. And now you ask for it to be tunable by the server... sorry: I will disagree there. I realize that mappers/modders like to have as many knobs and dials as possible, but you've got to understand that most players want consistency: not unexpected settings. And I certainly don't want something as drastic as that be a server CVAR, which a connecting player may not even be aware of.

If someone can make a proposal about putting this inside dehacked (like the max. reachable health we already put in there), I can go for it since it won't be as fast and loose as a server cvar; otherwise, no.
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a valid point there, Kilgore.

Don't know what would be the best idea about how exactly to implement it in dehacked, in case it gets accepted to be implemented. Another Misc 0 option? Idk.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
 75. Implemented three new Dehacked global properties (Misc section):
       * Vampire Max Health: specifies the max. health reachable via vampire.
         Defaults to 200.
       * Vampire Player Factor: specifies the vampire scale factor applied to
         damages on humans/bots. It's a percentage value defaulting to 50 (%).
       * Vampire Monster Factor: specifies the vampire scale factor applied
         to damages on monsters. It's a percentage value defaulting to 25 (%).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: