ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zdaemon development plan

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoomerMrT
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:28 pm    Post subject: Zdaemon development plan Reply with quote

I thought it would be nice to know what are the future plans of the developers regarding zdaemon. Could you make a list or something that tells what you intend to include in future point and sub releases? Something like - version 1.1 Introduce Hexen support - and things like that. This way the community would know what to expect in long term (at zdaemon there is only long term in fact Razz ) rather than blindly waiting for stuff to happen.
Deathlire
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:21 am    Post subject: ahh Reply with quote

Would be nice..i did like Hexen..just don't know wth id soft was doing when they created it..guess they were trying to target ad&d fans or just rpg..with a little FPS..but it was alright..They're are things that function hexen wads..and I'm not sure but thought zdoom or zdaemon incorporated them already many years ago?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think a plan is just a list of things that don't happen." - Mr. Parker

In reality, it's very hard to say "hey, we're doing X, Y and Z" until we're actually doing it, because otherwise, people start saying "oh, but what happened to X?" if X was scheduled, but never added.

And then you get flak for never adding feature X, even though 0.0000001% of the population would have actually used it. And that percentage doesn't even play doom.

Or maybe I'm just a cynic.
DoomerMrT
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plans can change; thats why they are called plans. I am still not asking for a to do list(which many programs do have in fact) but for a possible foreseeable future; by telling me its very hard to say this and that you are basically telling zdaemon has no future? You surely must have something in mind, a line of things to follow but keeping the community uninformed is not the best way to preserve it. After a long fight finally we got the rights to see the latest changes in the changelog (which I cried a lot for, but always got shot down with the excuse: "Zdaemon is not an SVN project") and I am grateful for that (hell, there are even beta tests open for some community members too!). Having such a development plan list in the future would not only help to keep the community informed but also to avoid a bunch of feature requests that would/wouldn't be included anyway.
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'm not going to say much because I don't want to pressure the developers into completing something by a certain version or giving people a false sense of when to expect something. Hexen support will not be included in 1.09, it has been mentioned before that it may be a goal for 1.10 but there's no official time table or anything set for it. Hexen support is very very low priority wise, especially since few people actually play Heretic and I'm doubtful that number will increase with 1.09.

tl;dr

Don't expect Hexen support anytime soon. Only way that might change is if a programmer comes along and decides to implement it.

Edit: DoomerMrT, the problem with so called plans is that people often become extremely demanding and if something isn't implemented in the exact version they want, they go and attack the developers. A lot of people don't understand the concept that the developers aren't paid and just because they don't implement something you want when you want doesn't mean you have the right to go and bitch them out.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DoomerMrT wrote:
by telling me its very hard to say this and that you are basically telling zdaemon has no future?

Please stop twisting words around and fabricating false conclusions.
DoomerMrT wrote:
After a long fight finally we got the rights to see the latest changes in the changelog [...]

Not sure what you have been smoking but the there is a public changelog that was showing WIP changes since at least Mai 2007. You make it sound as if we were the lazy devs that only do something when people put pressure on us. The inverse of what you say would make more sense.

DoomerMrT wrote:
[...] avoid a bunch of feature requests that would/wouldn't be included anyway.

It is not like we are drowning in feature requests right now.

Regarding the future plans ... lets talk about what won't be done:
What people need to understand is that ZDaemon != ZDoom. That means we won't be chasing ZDoom.
Our goal is not to be compatible with some ZDoom version. Decorate or OpenGL will not happen here.

Some examples of what we are doing:
Fix bugs in doom and heretic.
Improve netcode and the general online experience as much as possible.
Fix and improve implemented features (e.g. voting).
Implement reasonable feature requests.
Update ACS to some ZDoom 2.* branch.
Hexen support someday.
etc.

Our goal is to finish ZDaemon while preserving the core doom engine at heart and to hopefully just fix bugs at some point.
We are converging towards a stable set of features unlike other ports.

If i get a steady paycheck from ZDaemon then you will receive a detailed list that states when a release will be done and what features exactly it will have Razz
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing, you can check the changelog for the next version and for previous versions here: http://master.zdaemon.org/changes.txt . Anything listed on that changelog after the point 09 release will be included with the next version.
DoomerMrT
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*Warning: some parts include sarcasm*

phenex2 wrote:

DoomerMrT wrote:
After a long fight finally we got the rights to see the latest changes in the changelog [...]

Not sure what you have been smoking but the there is a public changelog that was showing WIP changes since at least Mai 2007.

You realize we are having a conversation and not insulting each other?
Anyway, Zdaemon is a project since 1999-2000? And woah, we actually know what happens behind the scenes since the middle of 2007!

phenex2 wrote:
You make it sound as if we were the lazy devs that only do something when people put pressure on us. The inverse of what you say would make more sense.

Please stop twisting words around and fabricating false conclusions.

You make it sound as everyone are attacking the poor innocent developmers, but you fail to mention why there are so many 'demands'. As the community, the players here kind of have to do a lot with the game they play so I think it is pretty much understandable they want to know what happens during the years of development, and yeah, people are sometimes even impatient when years pass without releases. You can't blame them for that. And please don't expect prayers for implementing something when people often have to wait a year before their requests even get an offical consideration..and sometimes they are just turned down in a bad manner (based on own experience).

phenex2 wrote:

Regarding the future plans ... lets talk about what won't be done:
What people need to understand is that ZDaemon != ZDoom. That means we won't be chasing ZDoom.
Our goal is not to be compatible with some ZDoom version. Decorate or OpenGL will not happen here.

Some examples of what we are doing:
Fix bugs in doom and heretic.
Improve netcode and the general online experience as much as possible.
Fix and improve implemented features (e.g. voting).
Implement reasonable feature requests.
Update ACS to some ZDoom 2.* branch.
Hexen support someday.
etc.

If i get a steady paycheck from ZDaemon then you will receive a detailed list that states when a release will be done and what features exactly it will have Razz

Now this is something close I imagined when I mentioned the plan list, but still very very unspecific with the 'etc.' at the end and most of these were already told and pointing towards only to 1.09 release(except hexen stuff). I am not interested in release dates, I just would like to know what might have (even if only a tiny) chance to happen in the future. Now I have a clear idea what is not your goal, but what is, outside bugfixing?
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your kind words. Have a nice day.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: