ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

High speed projectiles are still bugged

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoomerMrT
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: High speed projectiles are still bugged Reply with quote

If you set a projectile's speed really high (In my example it is 300) it is still inaccurate when looking up/down. The inaccuracy increases the higher/lower you look.

Example: http://destiny-server.ath.cx/stuff/projectile.zip

The plasma rifle is supposed to use the high speed projectiles. You can compare it with the rocket launcher.

EDIT: Interesting, the inaccuracy is lower if the distance between the target increases. May this be related to the general close-distance crosshair bug?

EDIT2: If you set the speed to 400 or higher, the projectile sometimes goes through walls and monsters and the inaccuracy gets more inconsistent while looking up/down. The question may arise, why the heck do I need such fast projectiles: I want to create hitscan like weapon attacks.
Anyway, Zdoom solves this issue with a FastProjectile class that handles projectiles with speed 75 or above in a different way.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fix i did for projectiles was just removing the cap. It was not intended to allow hitscan projectiles.
It just fixed the higher speeds that were used in some weapon mods.
The collision detection is still the old way doom did it, thats why you see projectiles go through enemies and walls with crazy values.

What you are doing is taking things out of specification with such insane values, so what you are
asking for is the implementation of FastProjectiles from ZDOOM that has a much more complex way
of detecting collisions.
Thats is not what i promised with my fix.

Maybe worst will have the patience to implement this Wink
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make hitscan like projectiles work the original doom collision code would need to be rewritten and a new dmflag added. It's not worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: