ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yo Yo (part 2 of part 3)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Yo Yo (part 2 of part 3) Reply with quote

Since obviously everyone is watching this section of the forum in anticipation to see what will next happen next in the sequence of "Yo Yo" threads, I think it would probably be wise to start with a "healthy" thread that is not a joke or troll.

I see it as a way to help the community burn off some steam. So please. Keep it civil, the conversations constructive, and stay away from the "dead-end" topics.

Last edited by TheCupboard on Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before any questions are asked..the Yo Yo part 2 thread was not deleted intentionally.

That is all I'll say in regards to that subject here.

As TheCupboard said, keep it civil and the conversations constructive.
Doom2pro
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohh a Yo Yo thread!

I like the ones with clutches, used to play with them as a kid all the time.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DX-Chain
God like!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was gonna post in the previous thread that ZD highlight movies ("community" movies, if you will) could take some cues from what they're doing in the Quake 3 Promode community, as seen in The Contenders 2

Not only are the highlights diverse, but almost every aspect of the game is caught on video (yes, even the hilarious bits, as you can see at the end). The author, ent1k, even closed his movie with "Play more Promode!" Smile

How could something like that work in ZDaemon? For one, the new demo controls and features will make it a lot easier to browse through piles and piles of demos and maps/rounds within those demos. The only thing that's left is figuring out a way to get the action in 3rd person view. Q3 and CPM movies are made with a tool called Q3MME (Quake3 Movie Makers' Edition). It's essentially a build of the game, except it only plays back demos and has nifty things like rocket cameras, scripts to have the camera follow a certain path or zoom in/out, and additional special effects that the basic Q3 build doesn't have. In a nutshell, it's an amazing tool that expands the arsenal of the fragmovie aficionado.

Now, I'm not saying that the ZD development team should invest time into making an entirely new build of the game just to play back demos in cool angles with hi-res graphics and the like, but having a free-roaming 3rd person camera while the demo plays back would be a great start.

I assure you the movie crazies in our community would find tons of good excuses to make (hopefully) quality movies that show why modern Doom through ZD is the best ticket in town Smile
Mindwipe
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doom2pro wrote:
Ohh a Yo Yo thread!

I like the ones with clutches, used to play with them as a kid all the time

And much like a yo yo, this thread keeps going away and coming back. Rolling Eyes
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a never ending thread, just like the never ending movie JAWS, how many sequals has it already
_Beast_
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQFEY9RIRJA
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe a stickied "Yo Yo" would be a good idea for the time being.
SuperNova
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha god, I never thought the original thread would carry on through 3 different life forms. God I'm an amazing person.
Solar_Flare
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually 4, there was a part3 part 1 but it died so fast...so we have part 3 part 2 now.
Rexnor
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DX-Chain wrote:

I assure you the movie crazies in our community would find tons of good excuses to make (hopefully) quality movies that show why modern Doom through ZD is the best ticket in town Smile

I for one am working in a short clip inspired in what Fsn made, but going through the demos, and having to play back the whole thing again and again or record the whole demo and watch it again trimming stuff, takes a lot of time and becomes kinda annoying; the 3d thing would be awesome, but a demo control would fit awesomely as a start Very Happy
Fastidious
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rarely post anything on these forums anymore because I assume there's like a random 2% chance it'll end up with me being banned or maybe even master banned. ZD has pretty much the worst relationship I've seen between a dev/admin/mod/etc team and the community of all the games I've played. It is pathetic, and there is a big disconnect between many of the players and those with control.

I think it is quite odd since the ZD team is supposed to be an extension of the players and support us isn't it? Else what is the point? Who do you think is going to appreciate all the new ZD features most? Some random pub player who can't even SR50 or a hardcore player who plays IDL/ZDDL/etc? Now as ZD is less and less popular the hardcore player is making up a much larger and larger percentage of the player base. Few newbies are coming in and the hardcore are still sticking around but maybe they won't forever.

I've been a member of the Quake community in various games spanning from Quake 1 all the way to Quake Live and grudges no matter how justified KILL small communities. I've seen it happen more than a few times and that is what is happening to ZD now. The community is smaller than it has even been in ZD and now divisions are hardening and growing. All that means is ZD is going to lose a more players rather than retain them.
Shane
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see Zdaemon supported by Xfire! It supports Skulltag but some of my wads like Defiler don't necessarily work on it... I would also love to record in game Matches of myself rather then demo'ing them because I want the ability to post publicly what my winnings are (Also playing them in a media player is alot easier then watching the whole thing through, and I know about the player were promised in 1.08.09 but I don't quite know how reliable that will be). I would get FRAPS but that requires payment, and I don't want to chuck away 20 bucks just to record small snippets and the demo version records only up to 30 seconds of footage *yawn*.

It would also be helpful if the Server browser has a search engine, rather then me having to sift through the Wads tab until I find all the ZDDL hosting servers so I can favorite them for later. Also it would be good for people who host a server and just want one person to join but they can't find it, which has happened in the past before.

As for ZDIRC, it be awesome if we could get the option to add a Chanserv to a Channel as soon as someone creates one, as in like a checkbox below the Join Channel window.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[O]EmZee[O] wrote:
It would also be helpful if the Server browser has a search engine, rather then me having to sift through the Wads tab until I find all the ZDDL hosting servers so I can favorite them for later. Also it would be good for people who host a server and just want one person to join but they can't find it, which has happened in the past before.

There is indeed a search function in the launcher.

You should see a Search menu at the top, if you don't see it, you're more than likely using an old launcher, if so, I'd recommend updating your ZDaemon installation with the 1.08.08a package.

Anyway, can only be used when you're using the following tab types:
Servers
Favorites
Filter tabs

Goto Search -> Find, enter a keyword, could be the wad name, or the name of the server, can specify whether you want the search to encompass the server name, wads or everywhere.

[O]EmZee[O] wrote:
As for ZDIRC, it be awesome if we could get the option to add a Chanserv to a Channel as soon as someone creates one, as in like a checkbox below the Join Channel window.

This part could be arranged.

Would have to change the default flags assigned during creation.

I'll add that to the to-do list for the next services tweak.

Note: Would only apply when the channel is registered, ChanServ won't automatically join a channel that's not in its database.
fx02
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame people take this too personal. I hope nobody was not offended by my comments and suggestions. I hope noone will leave this comunnity becouse of few misunderstood posts.
Rexnor
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Chain, perhaps, publicity is the most important part in order to get new people in here Smile

I know there are a lot of talents out there, we could maybe make a contest or sumthing, there's people who like to make videos, music, editing and such, maybe create a space where people could show their stuff, if not choose the best one, maybe get the best parts of them all!
Shane
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AF-Domains.net wrote:
There is indeed a search function in the launcher.

Didn't notice that before, I always used it in ZDIRC and I didn't know it worked with the Servers too. Thanks!
Iceykiller
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:10 pm    Post subject: ZD Sanctioned Tourney??? Reply with quote

Well since we're throwing ideas around, I have one. And it's prolly been thought of before, but what the hell?

Maybe ZD should host it's OWN special kinda league thing. I've been reading all the "yo yo" threads, so I can understand why Kilgore wouldn't let Ralphis or IDL become a part of the main ZDaemon community (I had no idea he even did that, kind of a shitty deal and pretty stupid). But what if ZDaemon put up it's own, administration approved, free for everyone to play league? Maybe a 1on1 and a CTF? Perhaps even FFA or Coop so the newbs have a place to roam? And I know they already host tournaments in part of this forum (Quiksilver and LB I think), but that's different in my mind. And I don't think they have CTF tournaments, do they? Even if they do, it's not widely advertised.

I know all the admins are quite busy all the time and stuff. I understand that upkeep of a port is extremely difficult. I took a minor C++ language coding class and was like "OMFG", so I can understand how it could be difficult between like three or four people. But maybe the admins don't need to do it. Like that clan page I was reading about, maybe some of the players take up the mantle of the official "ZDL" (ZDaemon Dooming League... or something like that). Perhaps the admins and a few very cappable players could talk in private about maybe setting up an OK'd league that could span entire seasons just like IDL and ZDDL. And since it won't have anything to do with Ralphis or his IDL, it'd be okay I would assume.

And since it would be approved by the admins, they could even advertise it in the main part of the forums, or an off section. They could even throw up a link or two in the #zdplayers channel of ZDIRC! Doing that would SURELY attract some new players, or players that aren't new but just don't know about the true underground badass world of ZD... especially since EVERYONE defaults to joining #zdplayers whenever they log into ZDaemon Launcher (well, almost everyone) and the first thing that pops up on the screen is whatever the admins put into the intro text for the channel. I think it could work if some people (and I'm sure, with all the "NO ZD PLZ DON'T DIE" activisits around here, we could fine enough) would just buckle down and get it done!

It sounds like a reach, even to me, but I think it sounds like it could also be a good idea. Reply with comments and criticism to show me what you all think.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

European Tourneys are run every month, and ECL 2 is just on the Horizon. Shit over here is happening all the time, and it's all official
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: