ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Peer-to-peer Game Viewer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Accepted / To be Implemented Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ladna
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Peer-to-peer Game Viewer Reply with quote

Hey devs. Basically what I want is the ability for lots of people to watch a game, using something like the ZDaemon client. Normally the way you'd do something like this would be client/server architecture; everyone connects to the server. I think that a peer-to-peer architecture would be a lot more effective and scalable. Say, 16 people connect to the server's TV port (configurable or disable altogether). Then each of those viewers can handle 16 other people (connection dependent of course). I think that there's something like this in the Quake world but I don't really know.

More specifics:

ZDTV would be a different program, a whole separate executable. If you decide you want to join a game, you have to launch the normal ZDaemon client.

Launcher support would have to be added, maybe like a 2nd button up on the top left.

TV watchers don't show up in the server - or if they do it's like a total, not individual names. You don't need to login or anything to use ZDTV,

Super bonuses:

A website with zdtv:// links.

ZDTV compiled to Flash (using Adobe Alchemy) so someone could setup a ZDTV YouTube type thing.

The ability to run multiple ZDTV instances.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it would be great and you will have to wait a long time for it. 1.11 or later.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice, well thought out idea. I'm sure Shinobi talked about something similar once.

But hey, on the plus side then 1.09 does/will have the capability for more players in a server!
Ladna
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cybershark. For a little more insight into why I want this:

For league games (i.e. IDL and ZDDL) and tourneys, I think it would be really neat to have only the competing players allowed to join the server. I want a server sayto command because it would allow me to implement authentication without getting into the ZDaemon code (sayto $yourownname only shows up to you and the server, and the server can respond back to you in kind). This is a step up from passwords because passwords can easily be shared - loosening your control over who can and can't join your server.

But I also want people to be able to watch these games - from all perspectives if possible, and I think ZDTV is the best solution. I know ZDDL has a screen grab/Flash streaming setup going on with the guys from tastycast.tv, and while I think that's supercool, the quality provided by the ZDaemon client is obviously unrivaled.

But I am OK with waiting Smile. Thanks for the fast responses Kilgore.
noncom
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never watch TV, I do not even have one! But I found myself watching what I have called Doom TV when eating, or simply doing nothing. I like to see how people play - sometimes that is quite interesting and also I like to read in-game chatter and sometimes participate in it. So yeah, Doom TV was on my mind for a couple of years already Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Accepted / To be Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: