ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Swan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: The Swan Reply with quote

So here is THE SWAN.

Yes it is named after Lost.. and no I am not a great fan of Lost anymore since I saw the ending. Anyway here is the download link:

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/deswan.rar

Happy fragging!

Last edited by spacepirate on Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I has comments!

You are an imposter! Spacepirate would only ever link us to a RAR or an uncompressed WAD file. He would also upload it to some weird-ass filehost, not to Fathax!

EDIT:
Oh wait, there's no text file in the ZIP so it must be you after all Razz
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol its styled like 2001dm.wad!
I LIKE IT!
4/6

screenie
screenie
screenie
screenie
screenie
screenie
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:

================================================================
Title                   : The Swan
Filename                : theswan.wad
Author                  : Spacepirate
Email Address           : staticflorianx@hotmail.com@hotmail.com
Misc. Author Info       : -

Description       

A simple oldstyle 1on1 map.

Additional Credits to Obama.
 ================================================================

* Play Information *

Episode and Level #     : MAP01
Single Player           : NO, maybe if your very lonely
Cooperative 2-4 Player  : NO
Deathmatch 2-4 Player   : YES
Difficulty Settings     : Ultra Violence
New Sounds              : NO
New Graphics            : NO
New Music               : YES
DMFLAG1: 4919364
DMFLAG2: 1424896

* Construction *

Base                    : From scratch.

Editor(s) used          : Doombuilder and XWE

Known Bugs              : If I knew them, would I upload that crappy version? Tell me if you find bugs though. :P

* Copyright / Permissions *

You MAY distribute this WAD, provided you include this file, with
no modifications.  You may distribute this file in any electronic
format (BBS, Diskette, CD, etc)

I cannot be held responsible for any damage this file may do to your
computer, health, professional or social life, and by using these
files you thereby agree to be doing so at your own risk.

Here is the text file. Have fun. Wink
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the zdreview is down, I'd like to just do it here Very Happy

I personally don't like this map. The ssg area connects too fluidly to the bfg, rocket and plasma, really the only weapons to counter the ssg, making it really very unbalanced. I do however like the bfg mechanism, its new, kinda... I think that the outter wall could be straight and it'd still accomplish the same objective without the weird uneveness in my opinion.

Anyway, as for the look of the map, I don't really care for it either, very random and all the rooms feel extremely detached, as in going from one room to another makes me feel like I'm in an entirely different level.

Since this is a forum post, I think I'll ask: What were you hoping to accomplish by releasing this map? It isn't bad so much as it blends far too much into the rest of the releases on zdaemon.

Maybe if you switched out the theme for a more whole/connected feeling environment, and perhaps traded some of the huge staircases for lifts or slopes, maybe something more appealing... then this map would be great, but for now I'm going to say that this is a kind of sloppy release on your part.

1999/5000 or something like that

On another note whats with the name?
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Already played it yet or not?

I actually thought it was pretty good. I also do not understand your statement with encounter the ssg or something. I mean the bfg, plasma and rl are just harder to get.

This is also one of the best layout I ever made. Razz

I hope this is a april fools joke. Razz
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I like it. But I do have some suggestions as to how you could make this (and maybe future maps) better.

You have a lot of textures and flats mixed together. You'll shift from a gray floor to a blue one to a white one and then a brown one. It doesn't feel cohesive. You can pull off these frequent transitions if you use lots of border sectors and support columns to hide the wall textures transitions, but on this map, the visuals are a little all over the place.

I do like the white rock wall textures that you used (doh, forgot the name of that particular texture). It makes the whole installation feel dug into the ground.

I like the layout for the most part. That large triangle staircase felt a little clunky but I respect that you were trying to go for something different there instead of another lift. My only other problem in this department is the BFG area. It feels kind of tacked on over there and I feel that the map would play fine without it.

The central green area with the chaingun is well made and the siderooms connected to it feel appropriate. That main area effectively links the whole shebang. Overall, I have a positive impression of this map. The textures feel a mite jumbled and too varied to create a unified atmosphere, however. There are a few awkward bits with some intruding architecture but it's still a fun layout.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. This map is 100% random. Razz

I just started mapping and this came out. So I think that caused the weird textures sometimes.

Thanks for the review.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this is no 'Nature In Sight' or 'Pipes'... the layout is what I'd judge to be far too large for a duel. It's not like it's even something that's wide open, with alcoves that could lead to even die-hard map01 players getting pissed off at the hide & seek and camperry that's possible here.

Texturing is a little too off-key here. I mean fair enough you have metal mixed with rock. But far too many damn types of rock. Some of it works ok but there's stuff like electric lights in marble. It feels like a patchwork quilt here Visual criticisms, sure, and maybe if I was playing on an monochrome monitor then I wouldn't care so much, as it is then it's just a jumble of textures that would be better rearranged into coherent and clearly defined areas. The kind of thing you've done here just causes confusion in navigating your way around.

This map would make good FFA and (minus the SSGs) would've been a great addition to your Doom1 pack. I think it's wasted presented in this format though.

The plasma and BFG pickups are nicely done but they're kind redundant if your opponent is 3 miles away on the other side of the map at the time. Sure I can prwn the crap out of a bot here because it keeps running round in circles in the same place but I'd probably only want to play this out to 20 frags.

Ok so I'm overstating here slightly. I'm sure players could have some good games here but it's not something that will ever appeal to the masses. I mean we had a tourney on that huge Crucified Dreams map and while everyone played their matches and said 'GG' then everyone agreed that it was a bit much and would have been better suited to TDM.
If you want your map to be truly 'marketable' as a competetive duel map then at the very least you'd need to remove that whole RL area up at the northwest of the map. Aside from that then at least it isn't cramped and it does flow well for the most part - although there is one pillar that annoys the hell out of me when I run down off that lift. But the flow is another issue as while it is easy to get around then having 8 points of entry into every area means it's impossible to control any single part of the map. Although thankfully the number of spawnspots is limited to 5 so once you have those figured out you may be able to keep them somewhat locked down.

Oh and before I forget then the music seems wasted here. If I download 5 meg of WAD then I feel a bit cheated if the whole filesize was music Mad
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, the music is worth it!

But ok I see what the problem with the map is. And I know why this is the case. Since I just randomly was mapping rather then think about the whole construction of the map. Also I was experimenting with textures, using different combinations, and I find it not hard on my eye. So maybe there is something wrong with me? Razz

Thanks for the long feedback. But I would have done it exactly like this again.

You guys have never seen these combinations before right? And always when there is something new, people tend to dislike it.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...or maybe you are colourblind Razz

spacepirate wrote:

Hrmm. Well if you have a rigid attitude like that then can you tell us why we should bother giving you feedback in future?

As for random mapping, there's nothing wrong with it at all. But you have to exercise some quality control when you're done doodling. It doesn't mean you have to throw anything away - for example if you were to follow my suggestion of removing the rocket launcher room from this map but you really didn't want to simply scrap it then you could still keep that area for another map sometime.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off course I want feedback. What is wrong with looking what people think of it? Only I will not put more effort on this map, since it is an experiment.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacepirate wrote:

That's up there on the list of things you don't want to say if you are looking for feedback. With that statement, you have nullified all of his suggestions. It implies that you would've been better off without anyone's comments.
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe I do not see any reasons yet to change it. Razz Don't get me wrong, I appreciate someone actually look at the map and took the time to write his view about it.

But with the feedback I got, I do not see any point of changing the map. I do not understand what is wrong with different rock textures and a Rocket Launcher room.
ZombieMachine
Bloatware!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome Wad. Really stands out.

good job spacepirate.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,

So I felt bad for ignoring your great reviews, stubborn I was. So I updated my map and did some changes.

Here is the new version.

http://www.wadhost.fathax.com/files/theswan_b_1.zip

Cheers.
Alfred
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I for one think it is much improved. However there is still room for improvment, the major complaint I can see coming from this map is the lack of ssg/power weapons. In a 1on1 its all about control of the map, and in this map it is extremely easy to just camp the ssg, not so much the bfg any longer which is nice. Wink

You could remedy this without having to redo weapons spawns however!For example you could make a dehacked file to change the boomstick to shoot the ssg spread and the ssg to shoot twice as much muhahahaha.

On the whole I commend your efforts and hope that in the future you do extensive beta testing before releases. As I am now...
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meh, not everyone likes SSG Alfie Razz

It's a brave choice to limit all the spawns to standard SG, although personally I'd have probably split it so half the starts were on CG and the other half on SG. Another SSG wouldn't hurt this map but offhand then I can't figure out where it would go, and weapons should never be just crammed in for the sake of it.

As for the control aspect, well it doesn't figure into things so much on a map like this where you have so many directions to go in from any area. As a result of this I don't think there's much benefit to gain from camping the SSG (unless your opponent just keeps rushing you).

Alfred wrote:
you could make a dehacked file to change the boomstick to shoot the ssg spread and the ssg to shoot twice as much muhahahaha.

You do know you it's even easier than that, right?
See swapcellweapons as an example.

Space, this is great to see that you seem to have listened to everything everyone said about the original Very Happy
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, I playtested and since I am getting a little inside the world of 1on1, here is an improved version of The Swan:

http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/deswan.rar
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: