ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

future version ideas
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: future version ideas Reply with quote

First of all, I want to emphasize that these are ideas and suggestions, not demands. Unlike some people, I am grateful for all the time and effort that has been, and continues to be, put into developing ZDaemon.

In coop mode, when you view the scores, you see how many monsters have been killed and a slash and the total monsters in the map. Change it so that when a monster spawns in, is resurrected by an archvile, or respawns, it is added to the total, so the player never sees the monsters killed greater than the total monsters.

In the server console, display information like the map currently being played, frags and/or time left (if a limit is set), and for coop, monsters killed / total monsters.

Here's a big one. Using the client, add a special mode of connection available only to server operators and those with rcon access. This mode would be spectator-only and not take up a player slot, thus allowing him to "join" a full server. The admin connected this way could do everything a normal spectator could do (except join the game), and more. He could also type commands in his client's console as if it were the server console. The server operator could set a limit on how many connections of this type are allowed, in addition to the normal player limit. Among other uses, this could be used to secretly spectate players to see whether they're cheating or otherwise not playing nice.

Once again, these are not demands. I just structured the sentences that way for convenience.
Serp_i_Molot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: future version ideas Reply with quote

Empyre wrote:
In coop mode, when you view the scores, you see how many monsters have been killed and a slash and the total monsters in the map. Change it so that when a monster spawns in, is resurrected by an archvile, or respawns, it is added to the total, so the player never sees the monsters killed greater than the total monsters.

But that takes out all the fun!!! I enjoyed leaving the archie alive so that he could spawn more monsters and see how much over 100% I could get (my highest was 1016% on Map30.. but that was John Romero spawning things) I think that it is one of the features that makes Doom what it is. Not many games today allow you to 'go above and beyond the call of duty' and kill more monsters than there are in the map. No game has the archvile either.

Empyre wrote:
Here's a big one. Using the client, add a special mode of connection available only to server operators and those with rcon access. This mode would be spectator-only and not take up a player slot, thus allowing him to "join" a full server. The admin connected this way could do everything a normal spectator could do (except join the game), and more. He could also type commands in his client's console as if it were the server console. The server operator could set a limit on how many connections of this type are allowed, in addition to the normal player limit. Among other uses, this could be used to secretly spectate players to see whether they're cheating or otherwise not playing nice.

This could be quite good, especially if the person doing the 'spectating' doesn't even show up as connected to the server. If people know that server mods are in the server, they would be stupid to cheat. It's like speeding in front of a cop. You know you'll get caught, why do it? But if the mod was invisible, they could continue their cheating ways and promptly get banned. People will be more careful after that :twisted

On top of that, the extra 'spectator' slot could be used to make demos of the action and create a pretty good overview of the battle type of thing. I know this has been discussed before, but I still think it is a good idea, especially because it does not take up the precious spectator slot (especially in the larger games)
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At first I'd wonder why these couldn't have been added to the wishlist topic, as that is simply what they are after all. But anyway,

Empyre wrote:

I think that's done for 1.09, I'm not so sure - think it required a netcode update, so that the client could confirm new spawns, but I'm not sure - the devs will probably answer this one.

Empyre wrote:
In the server console, display information like the map currently being played, frags and/or time left (if a limit is set), and for coop, monsters killed / total monsters.

In zserv32? that's not a bad idea, could even be extended to take the map name from MAPINFO and display it in the same section as the map name.

Empyre wrote:

Yep, that's definitely in the works, to some degree.. the idea of remote administration, is the server can check to see if it's a client connecting, or a remote administration client - basically allowing commands to be run on the server without having to be connected. Not sure at how much this stretches, if it's input only or it can channel the server console output to the remote client as well, but that's gonna be 1.09 if anything, even though it could be done now, it'd be smarter if it was done then, for various reasons.

The second idea you mention there sounds more like a 'reserved player spot' list, whereby the only clients that can connect to those slots must specify some sort of password or be from a specific IP. I suppose there could be a server cvar as well that could decide whether to hide these players or not, depending on how it's intended to be used (hidden players would most likely have to be spectator only).

There's some good ideas there, some of which are already going in, I would still have added those to the wishlist if I were you, but regardless, I've said my bit Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I'll cut-and-paste the whole post to the wish list, and post there any further ideas I might have in the future.
Titan_66
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is interesting to see a new idea of a new future version/versions. I would like to see in CTF a superstructure like MVP = most valuable player, in the end of game you can see the results including MVP = most points overall and best killer = most frags and maybe most points without frags = best team worker.

And possibility to use old double barreled shotgun from doom2.exe in OS settings which is more powerful than this ssg...

The mode where are two DM 1on1 cloned maps in one, winners will spawn to clone 1, losers to clone 2 and the end of screen will show 1st,2nd,3rd,4th. Timelimit is more suitable (no waiting).

and the mode protect the VIP marine (blue - cops, red-terrorists, green-VIP) and special maps for it, timelimit or exit is the target...

I do not hope for those ideas, but i had the need to post it time after time again, when i saw this topic... Very Happy
Smile
DoomerMrT
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the VIP marine thing I hope and think it will be possible to do with some ACS by 1.09. Nice idea though Smile
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan_66 wrote:

And possibility to use old double barreled shotgun from doom2.exe in OS settings which is more powerful than this ssg...

Smile

Buckshot mode? Like ST?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What exactly are you saying? that our SSG differs from the one in doom2.exe? This was the whole point behind Dash's fixes that changed the SSG behavior (despite many objections back then). And now you're telling me that this is not the proper behavior? I better not comment on that....

Quote:
Buckshot mode...
I don't know/care what's that. We will not have 10 different weapon behaviors just because it's "cool" to some folks.
andymun
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last.Man.Standing.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kilgore wrote:
Quote:
What exactly are you saying? that our SSG differs from the one in doom2.exe? This was the whole point behind Dash's fixes that changed the SSG behavior (despite many objections back then). And now you're telling me that this is not the proper behavior? I better not comment on that....

Quote:
Buckshot mode...
I don't know/care what's that. We will not have 10 different weapon behaviors just because it's "cool" to some folks.

No I was just asking if thats what he meant, because I was also confused, I always thought that doom2.exe's SSG behavior was the same offline as it was online. I know buckshot mode has twice the damage but less of an array of damaging "pellets". I was just as befuddled as you. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Titan_66 wrote:
The mode where are two DM 1on1 cloned maps in one, winners will spawn to clone 1, losers to clone 2 and the end of screen will show 1st,2nd,3rd,4th. Timelimit is more suitable (no waiting).

This sounds like something I did with a WAD called 5x2. Two sets of two players duelled at the same time in two seperate DW5M1s. Interesting to run with a timelimit or to see which of the four hits the fraglimit first.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jeenkies, how did you keep the same players spawning in the same arena?
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Scoob, it's pretty simple. The WAD is run as 4way TDM. Red and Blue spawns are superimposed in one half of the map with Green and White in the other half.

(http://www.fathax.com/wadhost/files/5x2.zip)
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nero and I were just chattin and I think we stumbled across a neat way to record stats, and would REALLY help when doing things like draft's for leagues.

So what if a database kept track of "percentages of health" you removed from people, kinda of like an RBI.

If you kill someone with 100% health, you get "1" added to your name and a "one shot kill" trophy. However if you killed someone with 30% health, you get .3 added to your name but no "one shot kill" trophy.

If you have a multikill with a single shot, you just add the average percentage number of each person's health removed. like 2 people get killed at once. one has 30% health, the other has 40%, then you'll get .35 added to your personal stats number, or "Frag Number"

For things like chainguns, a single shot would be as long as you hold down the fire button.

Rockets should count because not everyone racks giant scores with JUST rockets, BUT one shot kill trophies won't be recorded because ALL rockets are one shot kills.

BFG's don't record anything.

Plasma's should record like chainguns do. same with fists and chainsaws. So a "shot" with these can last until your ammo runs out, or until you release the trigger, whatever comes first. If you hit 3 people, just add up the percentages of damage you made to every single players.

you have a chaingun and shoot at 3 different people, taking 20%, 10%, and 30%, you just add them up to get .60.

THEN at the end of each match, your accumulated score is divided by how much damage overall YOU took. and thats your damage ratio. So if I altogether I accumalted 60.5 points, 50 of which were actually people I killed, and the other 10 is accumulated damge percentages I racked up while running and gunning, but not fully killing people, OR by finishing someone with lower health off, divide that over my total deaths, which would be close to 35 or so would equal 1.73 ish. Thats my Ending number, and all this would be recorded and put into a Database. EACH match the number would be added to this number, and divided by two, giving you your average. Your average can keep going up, but I promise it would go down sometimes.

I was just thinking about it, and its a good way to get a DOOM RBI type thing.

what do you think?
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quiksilver wrote:
If you have a multikill with a single shot, you just add the average percentage number of each person's health removed. like 2 people get killed at once. one has 30% health, the other has 40%, then you'll get .35 added to your personal stats number, or "Frag Number"

shouldn't this be .7 instead of .35, since you're doing 70% damage essentially?

Quiksilver wrote:
Rockets should count because not everyone racks giant scores with JUST rockets, BUT one shot kill trophies won't be recorded because ALL rockets are one shot kills.

That isn't fair. If you run into a single rocket of mine, (I'm not spamming) that means you get killed, but I get nothing. Also, not ALL rockets are one hit kills, what if you have armor?

Quiksilver wrote:
BFG's don't record anything.

why not?
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get a multiple kill in one shot, I figured you should get the AVERAGE of the damage you caused. That way spammers don't just start getting stupid high averages at the end of the game for killing a bunch of people at once with things like the BFG and such, you shoudl really only get the AVERAGE of your damage on a PER shot basis. Thats why I ruled out the BFG because people could kill 6 people at a time sometimes, and really that would take a toll on the "calculation engine" since it would be trying to figre that shit like crazy. PLUS who cares what your percentages of BFG kills are, its not like that would be used when trying to see someone's stats while deciding to pick them or not. Would you bother worrying about a person's bfg skills when deciding if you want them on your team in a league?

With the rocket situation, I'm saying that you should get the score for taking their health. If you took all 100% though, I'm saying you should get a 1.00 BUT not get a trophy since rocket spammers would get a tremendous amount of trophies. Thats all. BUT you still get the points for killing them. So say if I run into your rocket with only 50% health, you would get .5. If I have 200% armor, and 200% health, and you hit me dead on with a rocket, I won't die, but you will get however many points for the health I lost. Lets see.

If I have 200% Armor and 200% health, the full blast of the rocket should take me down to 50 and 50. That means you get 1.50 for taking 150 of my health, but I happen to survive. If I have 200 health and no armor, and you somehow kill me with a single rocket, then +2.00 to your score. Then at the end of the game, all your points divided by your deaths would be a slight bit higher because of the rockets. But it won't make you MASTAR OF TEH GAEM!! because it was averaged! Thats why its such a neat idea!
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it not be easier keeping a total of the amount of damage you deal in a match, and performing queries with it? Also if holding down the plasma or chaingun is considered a single shot.. doesn't that increase the susceptibility to spam?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

because its not suppose to really "accumulate" like points. Its an AVERAGE of certain things. If we just added each set of points, then they would accumulate, just like EXP and we know how that all went. :/
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still divide that value by whatever you want. It's just a simpler way of collecting data (damage dealt is very easy to store and collect)
BlackShark
God like!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Well Scoob, it's pretty simple. The WAD is run as 4way TDM. Red and Blue spawns are superimposed in one half of the map with Green and White in the other half.

(http://www.fathax.com/wadhost/files/5x2.zip)

its "Velma"
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: