ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ping time in launcher startup window.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
int28
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:00 pm    Post subject: Ping time in launcher startup window. Reply with quote

Anyone know what I have set wrong, when I first start up the launcher it shows all the servers pings from the high 300's to low 3000's. If I individually refresh the server the ping will drop way down to what it really should be.

Thank you,
DevastatioN
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, Im not ZDaemon expert, but I beleive the problem is, its trying to refresh all the servers at once, which can make it look like your conn is very busy, which makes all the server pings fly up Smile Thats just a guess tho.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Soviet Soldier
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I've never experience this problem personally, it's probably, like DevastatioN, trying to refresh all servers at once most likely overloads older computers bandwidth. Do you have an older model PC? That's probably what's causing it.
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont worry. I find the ping list is inaccurate anyway.

Example: on L@P #8 it says i ping 133 but when i join i ping 55 - 80.
int28
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a fairly updated comp, xp2100, 512 ddr, ati8500, 80gig 7200 maxtor. ect.. When I had Cable the list would refresh fairly accurately. I had to switch to dial-up for awhile, now I have a fairly fast DSL connection (a bit quicker than my cable was).
Doing a refresh just now my L@p #8 is at 2297, when i single refresh its at 140. It just takes a long time to refresh the whole list, sort of annoying.
scirmast
Da Po-po

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

L@p server pings are acting very strancely in the game itself. When the L@p clan opened up their servers, I had a ping of 60 in all of them. Then, a few months later they suddenly rised to ~140. I emailed to the server admin, and he said they didin't touch their servers, or the connection they were in. My interrest for ZDaemon collapsed. Now I stried it again, and all wad back to normal. I have a ping of 55 to all L@p servers (although in launcher they are more like 1400). I had the 140 ping for 3 months or so, although I'm not sure. And it wasn't because of my computer, either, because I tested Zdaemon with my other comp and had the same 140 ping. Why is this?
Tai*WarGreymon
YOU PERVERTS!!!1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. The servers should work fine. That's just the launcher. It happens to me all the time. But when I join the servers, my ping is just fine.

Last edited by Tai*WarGreymon on Thu Jun 26, 2003 12:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
enVision
A.K.A. Rat-Arsed

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saying that, i used to ping ~50 on L@P #8 but it hangs around 80.

I find that the lower the L@P server is on my launcher, the better ping i have. So in all the servers on Zdaemon (except my own) I ping best on Brit11 L@P.
Gherkin
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that your ping may be a little higher while you're playing. Because when you ping servers from outsid the game, you're not trasnferring any data (except the little bit for the pinging itsself, but thats negligible). When you're in game, you're transferring a continues stream of data. Especially when the data stream nears your bandwidth limit, the ping jumps a lot higher, its exponential.
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, ping's are measured slightly differently in-game.
So, if you were to grab a server's IP address and use the ping command in a DOS prompt (or unix prompt, for those unix people out there), you will notice that the ping is relatively low compared to the ping you recieve in the game.
In addition, the pings in the launcher are high due to the way the launcher sends & recieves queries. I don't think it was built with the idea that we'd have so many servers to choose from. But then again, I never really looked at the code for how it sent out queries. i just expected it was intelligent. :)
Ralphis
That blue hedgehog again of all places!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Expect the unexpected!
GO†HY
Doom is where Satan is!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ie awer teh gay Confused

im a bit more concerned about that aiming bug than anything... Smile though when i start up ZLau., it gives me the ping thingy too... i just ignore it pretty much :p
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: