ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vignettes of Deathmatch Release Candidate 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFatWilly
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Vignettes of Deathmatch Release Candidate 2 Reply with quote

Multiplayer deathmatch wad created for newschool mechanics in an old school format and design philosophy.

I started this wad as a gimmick wad to test myself as a mapper and create maps with different mentality and ideas from how I normally map. The object is to familiarize myself with completely different methods so I can create a string of maps that don't become dull or appear as if certain concepts are repeated between them. I've even gone so far as to put restrictions unto myself such as; limiting the texture pool I can use to ones I hardly use, Placing weapons and spawns in preset locations and create the map around them, and various more that I will list below. I'm stuck with having not enough custom music to cover the rest of the maps that were not scored, if anyone wants to help with that, I'd be much obliged. Any and all feedback is welcome.

Wad info:

Designed for players 2-4 but it can absolutely fit more than that on most maps.

Tested on Odamex for compatibility, and tested on Zandronum with crouch, jump, full or no air control and even rocket jumping. Thanks to Watakid for assisting with testing on Zan.

Contains some custom textures, some from the alpha Doom wads, some from an old realm667 texture pack for brown rusted doom edits and some created by myself.

Music was composed by TomD (99Frags) for 01, 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 08, 09, 14 and 17.

Play this with any settings or mods desired.

Download: Vignettes of deathmatch release candidate 2

Map List and their map-related gimmick:

Map01 - A map designed entirely on a 45 degree angle

Map02 - Tight and cramped map with a focus on circular stairs

Map03 - Complete opposite to 02 with entirely opened up corridors and hallways for more midrange to longrange play

Map04 - Theme-based map using doom2 brick textures that I would normally not to use

Map05 - Another thematic map based on the idea of excavating a grave site, even though there is clearly a lot of tech base still

Map06 - Another 45 degree angle map with the idea that the arena must take place in space using an assortment of textures I was unfamiliar with

Map07 - Just imitate what I think a typical exec map's gameplay is like

Map08 - Create a map with plenty of detail using minimal (number undefined for 'minimal') amount of sectors

Map09 - Similar to 08 but with more of a focus on midrange and longrange plays

Map10 - Craft certain sections of the map first and then connect them afterwards. BFG cradle, rounded northend stairs and exit room were built first.

Map11 - Dominate the entire map in SP_ROCK1, a doom2 texture I never use, and make it work as the main texture.

Map12 - Similar to 10 but now the 'treading' for the map was created first and then populated afterwards with playable areas.

Map13 - Texture combination imported from an old uptdm map I made where it was mainly a joke, this map promises to be more fun

Map14 - Thematic map based on the idea of a urban center being overgrown by natural vegetation

Map15 - Thematic map based around a dance club for doom marines with a twist

Map16 - Map created by a competitive player named 'Razor'

Map17 - Freestyle/Speedmap design, aptly textured similarly to greenwar

Map18 - Freestyle/Speedmap design, aptly textured similarly to greenwar

Map19 - Designed around BFG being the centerpoint, its area to be housed but still be visible from a lot of other areas within the map

Map20 - Use Obsidian/Oblige to generate a random placement of weapons, powerups and teleport destinations then create the map around that. Then I deleted those weapons and powerups as they were very difficult to work with, but still had a uniquely designed map so I put in my own spawns/weapons.

Map21 - I really dislike symmetrical arena maps, but I created this one to a similar vein with the caveat being the map needed to be tall and focus on chaingun and shotgun play. Simultaneously I spammed lots of ammo and health in the map, this will encourage more movement from players and also prove that mappers shouldn't be afraid to stick 50 surplus rockets in a dm map seeing as most players won't live long enough to go through that many rockets.

Map22 - Another map that I had created in uptdm now redone again to have less obnoxious geometry and tighten the wide open spaces for a more compact deathmatch experience

Enjoy[url][/url]

Last edited by TheFatWilly on Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
TheFatWilly
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main post updated to include the latest hotfix to correct the original node issues found during testing.
boom_compatible
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just played all the finished maps and had a lot of fun, especially on map10!

All maps have a good geometry and height variation without compromising gameplay and that's the most important thing in my opinion.

I'm looking forward to playing the remaining maps! o/

DMFLAGS used: 1124422692 / 1179762 / 0
TheFatWilly
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update since the October post:

3 maps have been finished and 1 additional map has been added, vodm is now available as 'release candidate 2' with this release being the last to final release.

Map13; A map based around a uptight deathmatch map I made sometime ago which only used two types of textures which were similar to eachother with the only difference being one set was brown and the other grey. This time I made the map have a little more flare and tried to incorporate more colors inbetween the dark and bland textures. Wide open outside and cramped interiors with an emphasis on letting players "go anywhere" if they can live long enough to get there.

Map14; An urban center that is overtaken by mother nature and now serves as an arena for players. This was originally a speedmap with the intention to go indepth with details to build a theme around clashing of texturing.

Map15; Maps based around "real" places never take off very well, but I've given it a try anyway. Main dance floor and seating areas give the map tall rooms with large spaces for long range fights where the VIP and amenities return to the claustrophobic. As this is DooM, the club is ran by satanists of course, so the club houses some dark secrets within its walls, hope you can hold your bladder.

Map22; Lastly another map based on an uptight deathmatch map which, in itself, was also based on zdctf map09 and removing the base to base element in favor of a compact deathmatch map. The uptdm map sported far too open spaces outdoors with no real flow for the indoor sections along with too many busy textures and geometry that messed up player momentum. This more modernized version tries to raise the importance of indoor to outdoor ratio and move the bfg back into a familiar alcove. Same MIDI was imported as well.

Download link of release candidate 2 - https://allfearthesentinel.net/zandronum/download.php?file=vodm_rc2.wad

Top post has been updated with link and additional maps, also all new maps have been tested with Zan, Oda and ZDaemon and are compatible with each.

Over the next month, maps will be tested and any gameplay tweaks will be included on final release. If anyone feels like getting in on this then just let me know, rest of the map pool is open and if any composers out there feel like struttin' their stuff then also feel free to let me know.

Finished wad will be uploaded to /idgames following a final release.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: