ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Team shuffle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Team shuffle Reply with quote

What is it:
A team shuffle function.

What does it do:
After a certain number of victories in a row has been reached, the teams are automatically shuffled.

How would it work:
Using a server side CVar like "sv_shuffleteams" along with "sv_shufflescore". The first one activates this behavior, the second one defines how many consecutive victories a team must get before the shuffling happens. It automatically injects all previously in-game players in the server into the game similar to the callvote reset function.

Why do we need this:
Every so often, we see public CTF games ruined by unbalanced teams. Sure nobody likes loosing, but winners don't seem to look for a challenge either. The idea is to prevent situations where the same team will win several games in a row and the other team slowly having all of it's players leaving.
Empyre
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. You could do it with just sv_shufflescore, where setting it to zero would deactivate the shuffling behavior.
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, much easier to setup and understand; Thanks Empy!
Chimila
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

two fat thumbs up here, this has been a must since a good while. I have wondered if there is a reason behind why there's no random teams when joining a team-based gamemode, like I dunno, skulltag had it first so just no?
Caboose
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2022 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

reupping this as it would do wonders for team game events, most people are too lazy to balance teams themselves. When we use this feature in Zandronum it helps make the event session last longer.

They have two different implementations, force random join (SV_NoTeamSelect) and disallow team switching (SV_NoTeamSwitch).

SV_NoTeamSelect makes it so when you join the game it auto selects your team, and then after each round players are shuffled randomly into teams.

SV_NoTeamSwitch synchronizes with SV_NoTeamSelect so you can't join the game and switch to the opposing team.

I know that there are probably other case scenarios where this implementation would run into issues...

example;
a bunch of people leave from red team, maybe an auto balancer, or if someone spectates then auto joins which would put them on blue instead of back onto red (that's how it works on zandronum)

Typically if people see that teams are very unfair (3v5... 4v6...) people will spectate and join the other team, so it wouldn't be a stretch that people would just spectate and random join with the auto balancer.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TheFatWilly
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was going to post another thread of a similar type to this one until I noticed this.

Would like to be the third person to agree with all the above and say this is a much desired feature that would make pubs or privs (if that is seriously desired) a lot more fair.

I will also express the hardships I think comes with a shuffle system like this where if ZD looks to shuffle teams but can't distinguish between who is playing and who is simply afk on a team then I can see a situation where following a 4v4 where blue has 4 members and red has 8 with 4 of them as simply spectators then the shuffle accounts for those team members and shuffles into what it thinks is a 6v6 but actually it just made a 5v3 with players that are actively playing. I suppose it could only factor in the players that are still joined in the game at the level end screen, but that's for people much smarter than me and understand zdaemon far more to decide how that *can* be done.

Sidenote: not really bothered with all the extra bells and whistles to setting up conditions for team shuffling, just a basic one so far would be fantastic in my eyes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Pending Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: