ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

W_GetNumForName - Map lump referenced by MAPINFO is missing

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Confirmed but Deferred Bugs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: W_GetNumForName - Map lump referenced by MAPINFO is missing Reply with quote

Hi!

What causes this problem? I was just playing offline and when the program wanted to load a new map it says this:

Thanks for your reply.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Provide more detail please.

Include exactly what you were loading, wads, settings and all for replication purposes.
ZeroDev
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map you tried to play use a texture called "rail11" which isn't in the wad you were playing.

By the look of it, you tried to play some LA world maps offline. Did you load all the required wads ?
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it was this one:

zds://74.91.123.191:10621

[AO] Alpha & Omega: Doom2 - [LA] Hardcore Adventure Challenges -

I always load it online and once it's been loaded I type: disconnect. (I use this method because there is no option for a quick offline gameplay, unless you type everything in the command line Rolling Eyes )

Then I look for the same map which I have just played online before and type the map <lumpname> command in the console. So everything should be loaded perfectly, I guess.

But I think I've found the problem. In offline mode, there is no pre-defined server maplist, so the map randomizer won't work at all, that's why the program "presumes" that the next map will have the same lumpname but its number is increased by 1. But if there are only a few maps from for example the RAILxx set ending with RAIL10, then zdaemon wrongly presumes that there is a RAIL11 too. No, there isn't.

A good question is: how to prevent this behaviour?

Is there a way to make zdaemon examine the complete map list in the wad and if there is no next map with a greater number in one lumpset, then it could just override the MAPINFO and "jump" to the next lumpset in alphabetical order and then it could pick the lowest available number in that lumpset. In all other cases it could take account of the map order in the MAPINFO.

So for example if you have sets like these:

LOST05
LOST06
LOST07

RAIL02
RAIL04
RAIL07

INVA01
INVA03
INVA04

Then if the exiting script wants to load for example LOST08, then instead of showing the error message zdaemon could jump to the next set to RAIL02. Or if it reaches RAIL07 and wanted to jump to RAIL08, it could jump to INVA01 instead etc..

Is this understandable?
ZeroDev
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W_GetNumForName try to retrieve a lump number in a wadfile for a given lump name. I was wrong about the texture name, it was indeed a unknown map lump.

cockad wrote:
But I think I've found the problem. In offline mode, there is no pre-defined server maplist, so the map randomizer won't work at all, that's why the program "presumes" that the next map will have the same lumpname but its number is increased by 1. But if there are only a few maps from for example the RAILxx set ending with RAIL10, then zdaemon wrongly presumes that there is a RAIL11 too. No, there isn't.

There is a Mapinfo in la-archiinvasionv43.wad which contains :
Code:
map rail10 "Railgunner Terror Map10"
next rail11
exitpic "railbye"
intermusic "intrail"
music mus000
sky1 ADEL_Z90 0

map rail11 "Railgunner Terror Map11"
next rail12
exitpic "railbye"
intermusic "intrail"
music mus000
sky1 ADEL_Z90 0

In offline mode, ZDaemon follow the Mapinfo lump definition.
The server owner here is just using a maplist and randomize it.

Tbh I don't see the point of Zdaemon "guessing" which map is next.

If we apply that same logic then if there is no mapinfo when playing Ultimate doom, e1m3 will lead to e1m4 even with the secret exit and then dying in e1m8 will lead to e1m9.
cockad
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
a Mapinfo in la-archiinvasionv43.wad which contains

I guess they have more than one MAPINFO in their wads. That one server consists of 11 wads, so I wouldn't be surprised if there were more MAPINFO-s in them. And as far as I know the one loaded at the latest is valid.

Quote:
I don't see the point of Zdaemon "guessing" which map is next.

Because I guess most of the servers consist of just one lumpset and not 4-5 at once.

Even if a server consists of many wads (for example rhinoduck's), it doesn't contain over 600 maps or medley of maps in different styles.

Well, Ultimate Doom doesn't even contain more than one set. ExMy and nothing else, only four episodes. I mean: there is no change between lumpsets.

Quote:
I don't see the point of Zdaemon "guessing" which map is next.

OK I think this "guessing" is only relevant if the server (or how shall I call the set of wads played offline) or game session?... is offline and contains more than one lumpsets. Because these lumpsets/maps don't contain any secret maps that would be more close to the original conception.
And since the online version uses a map randomizer there is a quite loose connection between these maps
ZeroDev
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried loading multiple MAPINFOs in multiples wadfiles, and All of them were read. The last one override 'anywhat' was already patched by existing MAPINFO.
So using multiples wadfiles with multiple MAPINFO isn't a problem at all.

cockad wrote:
Well, Ultimate Doom doesn't even contain more than one set. ExMy and nothing else, only four episodes. I mean: there is no change between lumpsets.

Uhm. Well. A map is still a map. ExMy is not different than Mapxy.
Or define "lumpsets"...

cockad wrote:
And since the online version uses a map randomizer there is a quite loose connection between these maps

There is no "loose connection". That's the way it is :
- Online mode, use server Maplist OR MAPINFO (no maplist)
- Offline mode, rely on MAPINFO

Anyway, You got your answer about that error. ZDaemon can't find a map lump that doesn't exist in your loaded wadfiles.

The rest about ZDaemon guessing map name lump in single player fall into the "feature request" category. Keep in mind that ZDaemon is mainly a multiplayer port.
Flambeau
Malibeau

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no need to change the behaviour imo.
Since the server uses a maplist it doesnt look at the "next" keyword anymore, so it follows the order of maplist.
If no maplist defined it will follow the order of MAPINFO.
Since you use a wad, or set of wads that have a MAPINFO that points to a map that doesnt exist in the wad the solution to this issue should made in the wad.

Some LA wads are not made with single player local use in mind. That specific set was made with the LA Adventure Challenge server in mind (including future maps etc) so there where already placeholders in the MAPINFO.

So yes, the behaviour is correct.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rejecting this case.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reconsidering this case, however moving this to the deferred section.

Design considerations.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Confirmed but Deferred Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: