ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insomnia

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 4:39 am    Post subject: Insomnia Reply with quote

So anyways, here's a little project I've been working on off and on with Collision since 2008: Insomnia

Basically I plan on it being a 32 map megawad for deathmatch (Hopefully I'm not too late, not much DM in 2017). Currently around 25 levels are complete, some are duel maps while some are FFA. The wad includes both NS and OS maps. When I started it back in 2007, I was more of an OS dueler so most of the maps I made reflected that. Eventually, I started getting into CTF and I was also inspired by Chaindude's CDUEL1 map and I started making NS maps instead. I plan on releasing this wad slowly, some of the earlier maps need some quality improvements and then I found out years later that one of the texture wads Collision included is illegal to use in other wads. So for now, I only have one level to release. I call it Quantum Leap. A slightly older version of it was featured in ZML back in 2013, but here's the link of the new version for downloading:

https://uploadfiles.io/zpikb

Anyways as for a time table, there are a few maps in the wad which either don't use any custom textures or use very few. Within a week or two I should be able release them. I will probably call all future releases insomnia_rc#. After that it's going to take a good second, because I will have to replace all the illegal textures.

Although I can't release the other levels just yet, here are some screenshots of some of them (Soon I'll make a trailer):

I was also able to find a couple of videos of this map in action. Kind of feel bad for the Kahwett guy Smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aioGkIhK1kU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKpI9TMYVIE

One last surprise: 3D floors!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqhyTQcVn5s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-irYpvU6jyY

Anyways, be sure to let me know what you think!
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wew lad, give me a couple of weeks to check this one out :^)
Doomination
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool to see this is still alive!

i'll have to see if i can install doom on this machine so i can check it out...
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks good. Remember you can do ctrl + f and through the dialogue window you can do a find and replace operation, that way you don't have to manually search for the unwanted textures and "decide" what they should be swapped out for. I'm download the pwad now
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks incredibly cool to be honest with you. An intensely vertical map, a lot of scouting / scanning is required because it seems easy to hide from the enemy by hugging the walls of a cliff here or there.

Something about those 2 blue 64x64 bounce pads seem off. The 2nd bounce pad seems ok because it carries the player momentum "sideways" and you can incorporate a running start when you use it. But that 1st bounce pad is a bit trickier to use, it's like I had to slow down a little bit (stop strafing) to avoid bumping into the cliff-face. Maybe I'm using the wrong air control settings though (I think I had air control turned all the way off to zero ) Laughing As you know a bit of air control can turn a strange bounce pad into something infinitely useful.

Anyway it's an interesting map I only look at 27. It reminded me quite a bit of c_duel

It was very intricate design. Complex enough I could tell my BFG skill would not be nearly enough to kill opponents. I did not see any cell packs around either?
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
Something about those 2 blue 64x64 bounce pads seem off. The 2nd bounce pad seems ok because it carries the player momentum "sideways" and you can incorporate a running start when you use it. But that 1st bounce pad is a bit trickier to use, it's like I had to slow down a little bit (stop strafing) to avoid bumping into the cliff-face. Maybe I'm using the wrong air control settings though (I think I had air control turned all the way off to zero ) Laughing As you know a bit of air control can turn a strange bounce pad into something infinitely useful.

Yeah you really need to have some air control or else you'll end up getting stuck on the jump pads. I haven't noticed what you're talking about, but I suspect that is what's causing it. CDuel and other NS maps suffer from the same thing.

TheCupboard wrote:
It was very intricate design. Complex enough I could tell my BFG skill would not be nearly enough to kill opponents. I did not see any cell packs around either?

An earlier version actually had some cells. I might add a few back in the final version, probably need some more testing before I make a final decision. The plasma gun I had though is definitely staying out Razz

I should have some more maps released in a week or two so stay tuned!
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, can't believe it's been over a year since I made this topic, but I got some good news. I will have a new release of this very soon (within the next week or two). I'm not sure at this time exactly how many more maps will be included in the next release, but there will be at the very least two. Unfortunately, not all of them will be ZDaemon compatible since some do utilize 3d floors (Would be awesome if ZDaemon gets this one day Smile ). Anyways here's some screenshots of the two newest maps I've been working on. I have a capture card otw, so hopefully I can get some videos up soon too. Stay tuned!

https://preview.ibb.co/bt9ut9/Coop_20180812_044028.png
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there doomers! We're finally close to a release! It's been a long time coming, (Too long really.) but we think the wait will be well worth it.

What is Insomnia you ask? Insomnia is basically an ffa/duel wad that has been in and out of production since 2007. Some of you may remember testing much older versions of it on ZDaemon nearly a decade ago. Since then, a lot has changed with the wad. Most of the levels are being redesigned to allow for better flow and overall better gameplay. Also, when the wad first entered production, the design was completely OS but the final version will include both NS and OS maps. We've also removed the unnecessary sprite changes that were in earlier versions and removed some dumb stuff that my stupid 17 year old self thought was funny at the time. The most well known map from this wad is map27 (Quantum Leap) which was featured in the ZML back in 2013.

If anyone is interested, we would love to hold some testing sessions sometime next week. You can get a sneak peak of what to expect in the upcoming beta release! On a final note, not every single map in the wad will be ZD compatible due to the fact that some use 3d floors, but we will definitely be releasing a special ZDaemon version of this wad. If you'd like to know more about insomnia join us in ZDIRC room #insomnia.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2020 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome that you're on the verge of pulling a reverse-Mordeth and getting your loooong term project finally completed Very Happy
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2020 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: We have finally released the preview version of Beta 1. This is still a lot of work to be done before the official release, but we want people to see what to expect. Unfortunately, due to ZDaemon being a little more picky about textures, I haven't gotten around to finishing the ZD version of the wad just yet. However, I will be releasing it soon and hopefully we can get in some testing sessions here as well. If you would still like to check out the preview, here is the link to the upload: https://easyupload.io/w27nmb

Edit: The maps will load in ZDaemon (with the exception of the ones with 3d floors), however the textures will be corrupted. To alleviate this you will either have to use a more recent version of ZDoom or wait until I finish the ZDaemon version sometime next week.

Cybershark wrote:
That's awesome that you're on the verge of pulling a reverse-Mordeth and getting your loooong term project finally completed Very Happy

Thanks! We're hoping the wait will be worth it!
Lil_Ruff
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks awesome! It is cool to see a project coming to fruition after many years Very Happy
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2020 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lil_Ruff wrote:
This looks awesome! It is cool to see a project coming to fruition after many years

Thank you! We're hoping to have a test session on ZDaemon within the next few weeks!
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey just wanted to give everyone a quick update, unfortunately I've had tendonitis for the past three months, so I haven't been able to work on insomnia much. However, I am almost completely over it and hopefully within a few weeks I will be able to work at full speed and apply the finishing touches. Insomnia is still alive and we expect to release the first beta in either May or June.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear you're getting over it - that must have been awful to deal with. This wad looks amazing, looking forward to the next update Cool
MetalGuy213
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2021 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks interesing for some Deathmatch or Duel Cool
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys thanks for the awesome comments I appreciate them a bunch. Unfortunately it looks like I'm going to be out of commission for at least a few more months at the earliest. I've been going to physical therapy for the past 9 weeks to treat my tennis elbow but unfortunately I've hit a snag. No I'm going to be getting cortisone injection soon and I'm going to a more targeted therapy now. I seem to be improving a little bit but it is going to be a while before I can work on this again, hopefully I can avoid surgery. With all this said I'm strongly considerin3g releasing these maps. I have to check with hate your face before a final decision is made. the maps are about 90 to 95% finish and all but a few in my opinion are close to their final form. I will post an update about this in a few days after I talk to hate your face. apologies for any misspellings or words that just don't make sense I'm using voice chat on my phone to type this
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've got one more treat for you guys, here is a video of the last map that I was able to work on before I had to stop using the computer completely.

[url]YouTube.com/watch?v=kwuxcC7cWt0[/url]
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay guys it's official we will be releasing these shortly! We have to apply a few final touches, but these are finally about to see the light of day after 15 long years. Stay tuned!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: