ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who's going to play Doom 4?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Who's going to play Doom 4? Reply with quote

Post your nicks here if you are!

I'm not sure what I'll use for a nick but my old Steam nick is cpt_smelly_pants . LOL add me to get merked
Dred
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have it yet. But would love to hear what everyone thinks of the new Doom 4 from the perspective of being and old school doomer!

multiplayer fast enough? is multiplayer fun?

Can we expect original doom maps to be ported over?

Do you think modding is easy? Can create a classic doom mode to match speed and pace of original doom? Maybe even no freelook and autoaim just to see if its still fun that way?
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First impressions after playing a few hours yesterday:

I don't like the multiplayer in Doom 4. I haven't played Quake or Halo enough to tell you how they play, but people say the fighting style is a lot like Quake or Unreal Tourn or w/e. All I can say is it takes sometime 4+ shots to kill someone with a SSG and sometimes 2+ more direct shots to kill someone with a RL, which pisses me off because you can actually hit someone more times than the other player, even with a more powerful gun, and still die first? There are other things I dislike about the multiplayer but I'll keep this relatively short. The single player seems pretty fun though so far and well made and looks amazing, but multiplayer is BS. To me it feels like something inherently not "fair" about shooting someone 2+ times point blank FIRST and still dying, over and over and over, especially with strong weapons like ssg or RL. When I played COD, for instance, I usually played hardcore because it was more realistic in that regard, and when you get shot in ZDaemon it is much more reasonable as far as the power of the weapons and deaths.

I'm a multiplayer guy, and I wish I would of played the beta because that would of given me enough incentive not to buy the game for multiplayer. But that's me. I'm sure some like it.
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2016 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cracks fingers* Oh boy, here wo go. Twisted Evil

bwidger wrote:
I don't like the multiplayer in Doom 4.

While it's far from perfect, I can get that. It's your opinion. Smile

bwidger wrote:
I haven't played Quake or Halo enough to tell you how they play, but people say the fighting style is a lot like Quake or Unreal Tourn or w/e.

People are probably right comparing the game to these two, but to be fair, I don't think Doom 4 is anywhere near those. Why? I'll get to this later.

bwidger wrote:
All I can say is it takes sometime 4+ shots to kill someone with a SSG and sometimes 2+ more direct shots to kill someone with a RL, which pisses me off because you can actually hit someone more times than the other player, even with a more powerful gun, and still die first?

The Supershotgun of Doom 4 can score up to 300+ damage in single player mode point blank, the multiplayer gun has been nerfed a bit, and I regurlarly hit 80+ dmg on opponents. How many people have I killed using a close-range SSG blast followed by a melee/glory kill? Far too many. Sorry bwidger, but I'm being honest here, your aim is probably off. The rocket launcher scores around 65 damage, on a direct hit, regardless of distance. Two rockets are more than enough! Also remember, if you happen to miss your target mid-air, use right click to detonate the rocket on the fly. My personnal favorite combo here is SSG + RL with the drain grenade, I get usually 15-20 kills per game, with fairly hood ratios (though that means nothing and is not relevant).

bwidger wrote:
There are other things I dislike about the multiplayer but I'll keep this relatively short.

I can however agree that some weapons need nerfing, especially mother f***** chaingun. This thing is ridiculously devastating, it does 6 dmg per bullet, at a rate of roughly 10 bullets/second. This thing probably has the highest DPS of the whole weapon set, and doesn't require much skill to use efficiently.

bwidger wrote:
The single player seems pretty fun though so far and well made and looks amazing, but multiplayer is BS.

To say it's BS is extreme IMO, but hey, at least, the single player is loads of fun! The campaign feels very good to play through, and it has tons of secrets!

bwidger wrote:
To me it feels like something inherently not "fair" about shooting someone 2+ times point blank FIRST and still dying, over and over and over, especially with strong weapons like ssg or RL.

See above, think your strategy again. Ch0wW found imself scoring ridiculous killing sprees using the Burst Rifle and Lightning Gun combo. Some other friends use Vortex Rifle along with the Shotgun, they score kills no matter what. My guess is that you are probably doing something wrong here.
I uploaded some highlights of the beta a few weeks ago ; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr3yPigMO-Q / See 2:18 for a SSG/RL multi-kill with little to no effort.

bwidger wrote:
When I played COD, for instance, I usually played hardcore because it was more realistic in that regard, and when you get shot in ZDaemon it is much more reasonable as far as the power of the weapons and deaths.

I don't see how COD is any relevant here. Funny you should mention it in fact, every single gun can kill in roughly 3-4 bullets, if not less. Plus, realistic? How is a lone man fighting demons on Mars any more realistic? Razz
Classic Doom weapons, while iconic, are severely unbalanced. Doom 4 at least offers diversity with equal efficiency.

bwidger wrote:
I'm a multiplayer guy, and I wish I would of played the beta because that would of given me enough incentive not to buy the game for multiplayer. But that's me. I'm sure some like it.

I believe you got really high expectations in the multiplayer portion, and the deception was only as great as the hope.
Doom 4 is nowhere near Halo, Unreal, or any other modern generic military shooter like Call of Battlefield.

Classic Doom and Doom 4 are idnetical, in every sense of the way. If there is one nothing the original Doom had, that no other shooter did, is the instant fun. You start, you shoot a couple of demons, you get used to the environment and the unique atmosphere, and you're set. Ready to enjoy the full game only within the first 15 seconds of E1M1.
Doom 4 is exactly the same, except with more depth. You startthe game surrounded by a bunch of sppoky monsters, you grab your gear, you perform the firt few glory kills, and you're set. You've got the universe, the mechanics, the feeling, all of this within the first few seconds of the first level aswell. Classic Doom offered unique and versatile weapons, Doom 4 does that too with only more possibilities. Weapon mods turn the assault rifle to a devastating mini rocket launcher, or the turn the shotgun to a burst firing stick of death.
Doom provided unique monsters to fights against, Doom 4 only made them more menacing than ever and gave them some fresh gameplay twists. Much more than the usual melee up-close and projectile from affar.

You can't say Doom 4 is Halo-ish because, well, it's Doom. It's about instant fun, shooting monsters to gibblets, fighting other marines in hectic battles. All of what made the original Doom is also present in Doom 4, only with less sprites and more polygons.
bwidger
God like!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Doesn't reply to original post but writes a book to show how wrong I am. +1 Oxyde
Dred
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

appreciate the replies guys. The game does look good and for single player its sounds i will like it no matter what.

Whether i like multiplayer or not. As long it has a big modding community so we can shape and play multiplayer the way we want too. I'm sure they will be a fun mode for everyone.

It was modding that IMO made games like Quake3 and unreal tournament stand out.

Lately FPS games have lost that. (battlefield, COD for example)
Eyes
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dred wrote:
appreciate the replies guys. The game does look good and for single player its sounds i will like it no matter what.

Whether i like multiplayer or not. As long it has a big modding community so we can shape and play multiplayer the way we want too. I'm sure they will be a fun mode for everyone.

It was modding that IMO made games like Quake3 and unreal tournament stand out.

Lately FPS games have lost that. (battlefield, COD for example)

Still have that wicked BFG skill? I'm picking this game up soon maybe after the new gtx 1080 comes out.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know how many crossover clans there will be.

Such as:

http://imgur.com/m7W9GHN
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to buy it very soon for the PC, my steam nickname is Doomkid92. Send me an invite and I'll probably accept it within the next month or so depending on when I get the funds Cool
Liberteer
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2016 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still didn't get it and, by the look of things, my PC isn't really built for it. But my Doom 2 runs like hell! Very Happy
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2016 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't quite run GZDoom at all with modern wads, just too much lag in a fast game like Doom, I'd rather play ZDaemon on a Kazakhstan server (sometimes I do because they have some Heretic running forever it seems). I can play Doom 3 at lowest settings on my laptop with occasional hangups and a gore/weapon modification (I'm not even running any mods that optimize graphic rendering and overall performance, there are dozens of those in existence).

Doom 4 is a complete non-option at this point for my laptop. I've got a box running Windows 7 and Linux in storage that can handle previous generation games rather a-okay at low to medium settings. I think that box won't have a chance at running Doom 4 either Laughing

I support id Software in spirit, I loved all their games including Quake 4 created by Raven. The last id Software game that was right on the money was Quake 3, IMHO. Doom 3 was excellent but Quake 3 was all-time legendary status. I think it's multiplayer was just visionary for its time and all FPS multiplayer since then has gotten pretty boring with heavy gravity, slow run, 2 gun arsenal, motion blur, achievements for scratching my balls, regenerating health, class systems that lead to grinding for XP points in order to get to the next highest level of Petty Officer.

I hear Doom 4 is pretty damn good, better than a lot had expected. The campaign is long like Doom 3's but it is so much more fun.

Personally, it will probably be a few years before I buy Doom 4. Is it worth the amount of money they charge? $60.00 - $70.00 USD. Yes. But not for me right now
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I just wish Doom4's multiplayer was more like good ol Classic Doom.. I haven't even played it yet, but I know that's going to be the weak spot for me. It looks miles better than Halo, Cod, Battlefield, etc etc but for me, that's really not saying much.

The single player looks purely awesome, though.
Jad
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my opinion multiplayer is tacked on garbage. Load outs - please. Sure it moves well enough, and I have no real problems with the customization system. But weapons are locked behind a level requirement (though a small one), there are very few maps, very few game modes - including a lack of capture the flag - and it's just generally unappealing to me. It was also made by a separate dev team.

I was hoping SnapMap would be a better alternative to MP, and it's alright, it's simplistic of course but you can make quite a few interesting things with it. It suffers from being tied to the multiplayer though as the 2 weapon limit carries over, and it has very strict other limits as well. 12 active demons at a time, a maximum of rooms, 64 maximum number of placed demons, no outside areas, and FOUR player limit. It's more relegated to co-op then true team based matches, but I've enjoyed making a map with it and helping people out on the Bethesda forums. It has a pretty decent logic system with variables, and gates, and comparators, but with how limited it is, all I can think is: why am I not mapping/scripting for zdoom?

Campaign is really where it's at, and by now everyone knows it. Reviewers are praising it, etc. Solid 10+ hour campaign that is pretty much exactly what you could ask for in a modern reboot. It even changed my mind on the glory kill system (thought it was gonna suck).

One other thing, bugs. I've noticed various sound bugs, demons screaming after death long after their bodies are gone, and in multiplayer the chaingun was entirely silent for me, which made it even more lethal than it already was. SnapMap seems to be plagued with bugs on consoles, as if you use the undo function it reportedly corrupts the whole map, but I haven't had that problem on the PC version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: