ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm not quite sure

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lippy
overactive hormones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:27 am    Post subject: I'm not quite sure Reply with quote

How I ended up here. It's late at night and I'm feeling nostalgic. Yearning for the past at the prime old age of 20.

I hope you're all living the good life. Time sure flies.

Over half of my life I've been signed up to these forums. Maybe I'll check back on this one day.

Maybe I'll actually play...

I remember the happiness I felt upon first finding this source port for doom at around the age of 7 or 8. After playing it single player from around the age of four I worked out how to play doom multiplayer. The first map I ever played was on Cybershark's Nutty, I can't begin to explain how joyous this shit was for me at the time; a whole new dooming world opening itself up to me.

Forum spam, posts of absolute stupidity, zdemotions, you name it.

This place will always hold a place in my heart.

Feel free to get all nostalgic with me.

Peace.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It takes a village to raise a kid, I'll say that

I really got into ZDaemon right when I was finishing my kid studies and going into high school. I recall being quite hormonal at that time and channeling a lot of my "drive" and temporary passions into playing and creating bad content for Doom. Imagine that. Not many girls or friends and using that testosterone for SSG one-shot kills? It was rewarding, all the same. If I could go back in time, I would have played more competitively, maybe with a clan so it would have reinforced the value of being a gracious loser. I wish I could have melded and integrated into IRC with the community more back in its heyday, I sort of came into existence when some of the titans of Doom were taking sabbaticals or retiring altogether. I spent a lot of years Dooming by my lonesome because that's what games were to me, a complete escape from reality. Well it turns out it gets kind of boring and stale when you keep sucking at playing Doom because you never have another person to push you to be better, to excel at something, to form a bond that transcends our immediate physical reality. The multiplayer aspect was so fresh, it gave completely new life to the game because the people were always a little different every time you left the game but the challenges to overcome were always staying the same. The rules of the game are static, but the community and attitude about how we treat each other is always subject to change.

I'll tell you, ZDaemon brings so many fond memories of multiplayer matches. It's by the far the best multiplayer experience I've ever had and console games don't even compare so ZDaemon has actually saved me a lot of money because I didn't have to buy new games. It also made me smarter because I learned how to stop releasing terrible maps and use some of my creative energies and sublimate the pain I experienced in life into something I could be a little proud of, or at least it was productive. Along the way there were the times where we learned a funny lesson that completely changed the way we played the game. "Wait, you mean my gun is actually not pointing directly at where my bullets are firing??" "Wait, you mean people behave like assholes on the internet even if they aren't assholes in real life? My life will never be the same!"

Communities need big personalities in order to stay alive. It's what fills the gaps when all the small invisible people come and go, when everyone goes on with real life and has to start posting here less.

More important, it needs a lot of people who have 0.5 or 8 hours devoted to Doom and just love the game enough to make the overall experience better for everybody else they come into contact with. So I want to say, thanks you big people, regular Doomers, and you people who played the fool in order to create comedy for the community (comedy really brings people together), and all the regular Doomers who just enjoy this game enough they want to SHARE the game with other people, not just sit alone in singleplayer. And I want to thank people who fill the slots on my teams in CTF and prevent us from winning the match! At least we coordinated and escaped our own base this time! And all the little people, who are invisible sometimes, but tinkering all the time with new levels and playing the classic servers / maplists, who keep dueling and CTFing night or day. We all have a bond to something that is bigger than any one of us as individuals. We chose not to abandon Doom even when Counterstrike came out, or the endless sequels to every other franchise out there. Not everybody chose to leave, anyway. Somebody was still carrying the flag while the rest of us had to take a piss somewhere else. Let's hope our ranks increase in number as Doom only continues to appreciate in value and improve in capability by the special people who maintain the websites and keep the source ports alive. We would have had a great big nothing without those guys who helped keep this game alive. I give enormous praise to the whole development crew who took this port through a sea of changes to improve Doom and allowed the community to flourish as it did and continue to prosper to present day. There is a whole trash heap of games out there whose communities disappeared a decade ago. We have a gold mine of people here, compared to all those forgotten games that briefly captured attention. There are entire forums for games that fell off the face of the internet and their communities entered the void. We are still alive and can continue to have an activity if enough people decide they want to contribute to this golden hive of ours. Doom is really a hive of activity compared to all other retro games.

Things are bound to get exciting around here sooner or later, with Doom 4 bringing people out of the woodwork. It's supposed to be like, so much better than Doom 3 which was like playing peekaboo with demons. There was barely any multiplayer capability for that game, so a shit ton of people got the old games and scratched the multiplayer itch by using a modern source port like ZDaemon. A similar thing is going to happen upon Doom 4's release. And yes, it is Doom 4, even if they are calling it DOOM. It's a great fucking name and it never stopped catching people's attention after all this time, so they decided to get rid of the number. Can't say I blame them, they want to cut through the bullshit and give us an amazing game this time. Let them do it and let's be excited when it happens.
lippy
overactive hormones

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too wish I'd left behind a better legacy. I didn't realise it at the time but this was a good outlet for the many miseries I faced throughout my upbringing.

I'd like to be around and play once more. The majority of my time has been spent on zandronum over the last few years under alias (Hamish) but i'd sure like to play ZDCTF and d5m1 again. I feel myself craving doom after these last three years of inactivity.

I did reach a good standard of skill but I always quit out for like six months whenever I reached my best levels. It's a shame really. This game really can't be compared to in terms of its pace and how immersive/entertaining the multiplayer is in general.

I too got too pissed off when I lost, even though my dad once encouraged me to play people better than me in order to improve. Getting destroyed by Avernus repeatedly got fucking horrible though.

Thanks for your response man. Might encourage me to get back into things sooner or later. If Intoxicate/Stealth are out there somewhere; tell Tox I said hi.

props to [dp], too. i remember malvado calling me a 'puny little noob' once and offering to play my entire clan at once. Regardless of that, you guys had an awesome website and clan.
umoukun
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: The gratest ggame of all time!!! Reply with quote

When hearing about Doom I had some doubts about a game made by an adult. Then I saw it. Had I died and gone to heaven? The experience of playing this game was almost biblical. I have played this game literary 50 times, each time it got even better then the last. If my life has a purpose, it is to play doom 1000 times. The game is extraordinarily well written, by the end of the game I am in tears. It has superb wit and sentimentality. The programming is perhaps the best to grace our monitors bar none. When seen at face value the game looks like an artsy fartsy billion dollar production epic fantasy, but when seen in context with the subtext and style it is one of the most powerful games in existence. In this reviewers opinion it is the greatest of all anti war games. The characters are top notch, the greatest surprise was the versatility of Timothy Hutton playing 4 monsters each played with masterful skill. Doomguys character displays the trials and hardships of the little man, never is he patronising. My life is complete. This game should be the basis for a new religion and philosophy to better earth people. Maybe martial law would have to be declared first, but we can work on that, i'm just brainstorming. 10/10

Aaauuuuggggghhhhhhh !!!!!
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ 666/10 would read again
Geit-vd-plas
God like!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lippy, are you really sure you want to get nostalgic with me now?
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<33
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject: Re: I'm not quite sure Reply with quote

lippy wrote:
The first map I ever played was on Cybershark's Nutty...

It was Milian's Nutty - I only jumped in on that one after he'd already got a few maps made Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: