ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Author of SSL2 finally found / confirmed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:29 am    Post subject: Author of SSL2 finally found / confirmed Reply with quote

https://www.doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/85570-author-of-ssl2-wad-identified/

BahdKo, over on Doomworld, said:
Quote:
Lots of people (including me) thought Sslasher made ssl2.wad, but no.

I got clarification from Ocelot that it was a friend of his who does not have an online Doom handle. His name is Erkka Ryynänen. It was a series of 4 wads that was made in Finland and was being played locally by their local group of players. It included either ssl.wad or ssl1.wad, ssl2.wad, there was an ssl3.wad which was never really finished, and an ssl4.wad. ssl2.wad was the only one that "made it" so to speak.

This was a pretty surprising find for me. Since this map is still one of the most popular all-time Doom maps, I thought this info was worth sharing Smile
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Sslasher wasn't the author of SSL2? Nice find!
Still, why would anyone consider that person as author of this map without any evidence?
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big shame here is that no .txt file was ever made to go along with the map. Several oldschoolers thought SSL was by Sslasher due to the name, and it being made around the time he was active. I don't think Ocelot would have any reason to lie about it, all of these people hang out in the #nightmare irc are / were friends with Sslasher back when he was around, so I don't think they'd discredit him as the author unless they were sure.

This map has the strangest history of all the old classics.
Ronald
Rontard

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting! Thank you for sharing this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: