ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[DeHackEd] Support for FireDamage or newer DamageType

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: [DeHackEd] Support for FireDamage or newer DamageType Reply with quote

Hello!

I would like to reguest this flag OR newer DamageType as its more flexible and can specify more damage types (such as Ice damage). These works in hexen / heretic, but works well with doom ~

http://zdoom.org/wiki/actor_flags
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implementation of the DamageType actor property does not make much sense in dehacked environment, because you can't define your own custom states (eg. Poison death state, Poison pain state).
Allowing the flags "FIREDAMAGE" and "ICEDAMAGE" for dehacked is enough and much more reasonable, since we already have Burning death state and Ice death state exposed to dehacked (from Heretic/Hexen), but without these flags their use is limited to projectiles hard-codedly having the said flags.

And perhaps move this to Feature requests? Razz
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooo my bad, I accidently moved it to bad subforum,

And nope, believe or not Archvile has "Fire" damage by default specified in its codepointer (wow), also fire damage causes TERRAIN (lava , nukage and such).
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm not sure what you mean there, Arch-Vile does not have firedamage. Doom did not have damage types specified in the first place, firedamage was a feature in heretic and later in hexen which added icedamage. You might confuse it with the variable name in the codepointer definition.

Yeah, TERRAIN can use damage types.

My point was that allowing custom damage types does not mean much if you can't tell a dehacked thing to enter the state specifically tied to that damage type. Eg. you make a poison damage type for a projectile (or terrain for that matter) but you can't tell any actor to enter poison death state because such state does not exist and you can't define it.

FIREDAMAGE and ICEDAMAGE flag on the other hand should be implemented for dehacked, because we have burning death and ice death states available already.

In DECORATE, custom damage types are very flexible, yes. When you define a new damage type, you can reference to it with a state including the damage type's name.
http://zdoom.org/wiki/Custom_damage_types

DEHACKED simply can't do this and I imagine it would require a lot of work to make it possible. (hard coded states -> user defined states)
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://zdoom.org/wiki/A_VileAttack

See? Default is "Fire".
And yeah I already tested it works
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body-Guard wrote:
Hm not sure what you mean there, Arch-Vile does not have firedamage.

Interestingly enough, it looks like he actually does.

Body-Guard wrote:
Doom did not have damage types specified in the first place, firedamage was a feature in heretic and later in hexen which added icedamage.

True. However, ZDoom has been released quite long after the original games and people behind it probably thought it would make sense for the archvile to utilize the fire damage. From latest ZDoom source code:
Code:
action native A_VileAttack(sound snd = "vile/stop", int initialdmg = 20, int blastdmg = 70, int blastradius = 70, float thrustfac = 1.0, name damagetype = "Fire");

ZDaemon v1.06 source code does not seem to reflect this:
Code:
P_RadiusAttack (fire, actor, 70, 70, true, MOD_UNKNOWN);

However, Medis confirmed that in ZDaemon v1.10 Archile uses "fire" damage indeed. I can't confirm myself as I've never tested it. So it would probably be good if Medis could provide a demo wad of some sort.

Other than that, I agree with Body-Guard about "FIREDAMAGE" and "ICEDAMAGE" flags. Since we're going to stick to dehacked till the end of the days I believe this would be the reasonable approach for the new feature.
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm I was checking in 1.06 source only. The only reason for making arch-vile attack do firedamage is this: the damage isn't done directly by the fire actor (which sticks to the target), but by the hard-coded blast-effect. And you can't access that blast effect from DEHACKED, so, if by any means you wanted to make it do firedamage, it would be impossible without engine support.
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theeere you go ! It's pretty rare to get killed by blast, so i catched bunch of screenshot from well know La-spacestation2 with million of archviles Very Happy
+ It seems damagetype in TERRAIN does not work :/ (bad syntax)
Also Sector_SetDamage can specify damage type...

And there is WAD (45KB). tested working (take on mind that it reguire a bit of luck and damage to get killed by blast)
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the implementation of several Hexen projectiles, it makes sense to implement damage types as dehacked thing properties, since they are not implemented with flags internally either. Right now there is no way to add ice or fire damage type to projectiles wtih dehacked, which makes the fire and ice death state barely usable. You also cannot remove damage types from projectiles like ice guy's.

Suggestion:
(type names taken from http://zdoom.org/wiki/Damage_types)

Code:
Thing 17 (Baron Ball)
Damage type = Fire

This projectile makes the victim enter its fire death state when killing it.

Code:
Thing 32 (Doom Imp Ball)
Damage type = Ice

This projectile makes the victim enter its ice death state when killing it.

Code:
Thing 33 (Cacodemon Ball)
Damage type = None

This projectile makes the victim enter its regular death state when killing it.
Aeyesx
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have no idea how this should work in dehacked anyway, For sure we could have all "type-specifies" from hexen, but so far...
It's just death type states..?
Isn't there even poison death..?
I don't even know what i was asking for back in time as everything works as it should
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: