ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Improved kill-feed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:46 pm    Post subject: Improved kill-feed Reply with quote

Hello!

I have thought of a custom kill feed that could be of use for both competition and cooperative players, plus I think should be not too much trouble to implement. It could make use of several options already implemented in the engine to configure and makes reading informations on the battlefield easier along with making the engine looking more polished. I think it's a fairly well-thought concept, but you tell me!

The idea is as follows, shot absolutely not taken from a not-at-all popular frag video recently uploaded on someone's channel. Razz

Click on the pictures to enlarge them.

I think you already see where it is going. That's right folks, a Source-like kill-feed. I can see nothing but good things with this feed implemented.
  • Makes the whole game log easier to read when battle occurs.
  • Makes reading quicker and gives valuable information to team based modes.
  • Team based modes could use colored names in a light blue and a brick red for a CTF example.
  • Alpha of the background can be adjusted through the scoreboard's alpha settings.
  • Gives more flexibility with the general game log. Customize number of kill-feed lines for instance.
  • Let the user change the font used for the kill-feed without interfering with the actual chat font.
  • Allow the user to move the kill feed suiting his needs, for example using "newkillfeed_x" and "new_killfeed_y"
  • Adapts to custom wads using new sprites by displaying them in said kill-feed.
  • Give the user the possibility to change this and display default weapon icons, using some command like "newkillfeed_oldicons".
  • Cooperative and Survival modes could benefit from this using a sprite of the monster responsible for the kill.
  • And probably many more I can't think of! Razz

I know that implementing features is a tedious task, and such a thing is far from a priority. But if there's one thing I wished I could change about ZDaemon, is the HUD and it's readibility. I always kinda thought it lacked something compared to other ports around, this would give ZDaemon a neat touch.
If you developpers want some more examples, I can create some for you. Smile

Let me know what you think!

Last edited by Oxyde on Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
capodecima
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is nice! I like the font plus the quake like style. GJ. Very Happy
Chimila
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as long as you don't mess with the classics mean, force everyone to use these stuff, I don't care what ever you implement.
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you could softcode this using DEATH type scripts, CheckWeapon() function, and the new extension for GetPlayerInfo() (new PLAYERINFO_PTS_1 constant for 1.10b4, see changelog).
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimila wrote:
as long as you don't mess with the classics mean, force everyone to use these stuff, I don't care what ever you implement.

Hence why it's a feature request, not a behavior change request.

Sr69Mm-jC wrote:
I guess you could softcode this using DEATH type scripts, CheckWeapon() function, and the new extension for GetPlayerInfo() (new PLAYERINFO_PTS_1 constant for 1.10b4, see changelog).

Problems with this method are:
  • I'm not sure one could apply Alpha on a picture displayed on screen.
  • Actually, displaying any picture on screen is just too much trouble for what it's worth.
  • Given Set_Hudsize doesn't work yet online, this limits us to diplay informations on the top left corner, as any other location of the screen would fuck up according to the screen resolution.
  • That also restrains the use of the fonts which is not what went. Ideally we want the kill-feed to use it's own special font, not force the user to adapt his cfg accordingly.
  • Plus, third-party wads could break the rendering if also using some HUD thingy.

If you feel like prooving me wrong, feel free to do so, but if it was the case, I would already have started working on it. Wink
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually like this idea. ACS is not yet in the position to allow the implementation of this feature by modders. Plus, you cannot turn off regular obituaries so both your ACS and hardcoded implementation would appear which is undesirable. It would be neat if you could adjust a setting to align these pictured obituaries on either the left, center or right upper side of the screen. Also, if monster-pictured obituaries were to be added, I'd recommend using a smaller portion of the monster's body to occupy less of the screen. Eg. use the front attack frame of the said monster and cut out the torso/head part, which is more than informative enough.
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Body-Guard wrote:
I actually like this idea. ACS is not yet in the position to allow the implementation of this feature by modders. Plus, you cannot turn off regular obituaries so both your ACS and hardcoded implementation would appear which is undesirable.

There's an oversight in Survival example I posted; which by the way seemed farily obvious; The idea of this kill-feed is also to remove those messages from the general items/chat log.

Body-Guard wrote:
It would be neat if you could adjust a setting to align these pictured obituaries on either the left, center or right upper side of the screen.

Oxyde wrote:
Allow the user to move the kill feed suiting his needs, for example using "newkillfeed_x" and "new_killfeed_y"

Why do I even bother to write all this stuff?! Surprised

Body-Guard wrote:
Also, if monster-pictured obituaries were to be added, I'd recommend using a smaller portion of the monster's body to occupy less of the screen. Eg. use the front attack frame of the said monster and cut out the torso/head part, which is more than informative enough.

The idea of using the full sprite is to make so devs to write tones of lines in the code to have this added, or the other way around, to avoid designers the joy of having to create sprites just for the kill-feed.
Body-Guard
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxyde wrote:

There's an oversight in Survival example I posted; which by the way seemed farily obvious; The idea of this kill-feed is also to remove those messages from the general items/chat log.

I realize that. I wrote, if we had to implement this via ACS instead of developer's hardcoded, the regular obituaries would still stay there.

Oxyde wrote:
Allow the user to move the kill feed suiting his needs, for example using "newkillfeed_x" and "new_killfeed_y"
Why do I even bother to write all this stuff?! Surprised

Maybe fixed positions are easier to implement, rather than introducing new variables just for this, and risking the overlap with other hud elements. Most people will end up leaving it as is anyway, or use the common scenarios I posted above.

Oxyde wrote:

The idea of using the full sprite is to make so devs to write tones of lines in the code to have this added, or the other way around, to avoid designers the joy of having to create sprites just for the kill-feed.

I am not sure what you want to say here, but adding such sprites are not a so tremendous task and does not require artistic skills either. Even I can do the cutting in MSPaint for all of Doom/Heretic/Hexen in a day if this feature is going to be added. Full sized monster sprites are going to look ugly, because there is a big size difference between the cyberdemon and the lost soul for example.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This does look a lot better.
Buli
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An obituary like that would be cool indeed.

However how it would be possible to parse frag statistics? Unless it does not apply to the console/logs I don't know how that'd work.
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kara Kurt wrote:
An obituary like that would be cool indeed.

However how it would be possible to parse frag statistics? Unless it does not apply to the console/logs I don't know how that'd work.

I guess they could be logged in the game console but broadcasted live to the messages' feed (ie the one at the top of the screen).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Pending Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: