ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Doomkid's Deathmatch 3!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 4:59 am    Post subject: Doomkid's Deathmatch 3! Reply with quote

Hello again my deathmatching friends Very Happy

I've recently built 12 more deathmatch maps for some more fragfests. These ones are a bit different than my older maps, I went in with the goal of creating some really powerful, replayable layouts. There are lots of secrets and hidden bonuses.

20 of my older maps are included, with various bugfixes and other layout improvements as well, which really makes some of them feel complete.

Feedback is always appreciated!!

Suggested DMflags:
-Jumping: OFF
-Freelook: Optional
-Item Respawn - ON
-Powerup Respawn - OFF
The rest can be decided by the player Cool

A game breaking bug has been fixed - Download the new version here! http://www.mediafire.com/download/e4cht4r5c1p6zs0/dk_dm_3f.zip

The filename is now DK_DM_3F.wad. There was a broken deathmatch start on map22, but the issue is resolved!

SCREENSHOTS:
http://i.imgur.com/wGHf46G.png
http://i.imgur.com/VU7Yhaw.png
http://i.imgur.com/dfo4ffq.png
http://i.imgur.com/sEzo2r4.png

HAVE FUN!!

Last edited by DoomKid on Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:21 am; edited 1 time in total
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrmm? Haven't heard any rumblings of this down the pipeline. But it's on my radar now, expect to hear from me before next month hopefully.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, Thanks TheCupboard! Smile
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A game breaking bug has been fixed - Download the new version here! http://www.mediafire.com/download/e4cht4r5c1p6zs0/dk_dm_3f.zip

The filename is now DK_DM_3F.wad. Cool
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to play it for ZDS!
ZDS #356 - Doomkid's Deathmatch 3 - part I
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Thanks Krawa Cool
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

01: Neat, city map. In my opinion players should be able to climb out of the bathroom windows and out into the streets. This reduces zones of inactivity (ignored) and zones of over-activity (camping).
02: This is the kind of thing I would like to play, the secrets are easily accessible and it more or less flows the way I expect it to. Seeing some Doom Alpha resources and other things as well.
03: Reminds me a lot of OMGmaps by Toke.
04: Reminding me of Shinobi's ShinFFA, in a good way. I mean, the verticality and winding curves, his work had a lot of that stuff put to awesome effect. IMHO ditch the crates and create a more open room structure in that area. :p I think the lift was a good choice.
05: When I run up the stairs and grab the blue armor, I probably should not have to bump my head on the ceiling on the way down. Allow the player to preserve his velocity. I think the lighting is pretty awesome on this level actually. In the plasma rifle room, I would raise that ceiling light structure so player doesn't bump his head again.
06: I would build on that fake wall by the plasma rifle, add some silver steps or something so it is not blue against blue, there should be some kind of distinction so it's obvious there is a fake wall. Kind of counter-intuitive making a fake wall obvious, but I think there are modern ways of letting fake walls send off signals to intelligent players to investigate and also allow a clueless player to not get raped by a sneak attack or plasma spam.
07: I'm going to play the "bad BFG" card, sorry. The map is pretty open and it seems easy to dominate a few player spawn points once you also have that soulsphere in tow. I think the plasma rifle should go where the BFG is.
08: Haha awesome man, it's like you took the best parts of E3's Pandemonium and threw them into this slot, except with much better weapon placement. That praise being allotted, I think it would take a sophisticated palette maybe to appreciate all the opportunities on this map.
09: Seems obscure but fun in a E1 rehash kind of way. I figured out the BFG trigger, seems ok. Invis sphere is attainable if you remember e1m3. I think the soul sphere switch should be more obvious, like have a window instead of those flashing computer panels in the courtyard to connect the switch area, in terms of visibility, to the soulsphere.
10: I'm seeing boxes and corridors here, a little clunky.
11: I don't mind damaging floors in DM, but every newb who walks into this is going to have a bad time I'm afraid.
12: Again with crates. I don't know man, I had a laugh and at least it isn't full of SSG.
13: Conceptually, the map space is attractive and I like it. In terms of fluidity, there are some issues because there is only one way to enter the lower half of the map.
14: You're going hard on the damaging floors, I see. I'll reserve judgment on this. This definitely reminds me of something but I have no idea what it is, feels like a dwango6 or dcdwango inspiration.

I'll keep going as I find the time.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there TheCupboard, I really appreacite the feedback and will take all these points into account. Having the player bump his head in those few spots was a dumb mistake. Also, I have no idea what I was doing with all those crates.. That's what I get for mapping while high! Wink

I always loved having damaging floors in DM, seems to spice the gameplay up a lot, but I can understand why people dislike them.

The clunky map was based off of a fire exit plan in this boring ass Responsible Alcohol Service class I had to take for a day. That's probably why it ended up as such a weird map Laughing

I'm looking forward to you reviewing more levels, if you want to, of course. Very informative stuff.
Oh, and to some certain NS jerks out there I won't name who will probably never see this - THIS is how you review a WAD!
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right bitches, I'm challenging anyone who enters this thread!!

You had a compulsion to click "ZDReview" because you thought, "wow might be something cool here".

Since you decided to view this particular thread, let's see a little more feedback. It's not exactly every day of the week some designer comes by peddling a megawad of DM/FFA maps. What are YOUR thoughts? I have a few more of my own but I'll need until this weekend to complete my perusal of this project. Doomkid has been around for quite a long time, first making sp/coop maps and now branching out into dm/ffa. He's worth your time.

God I still remember this guy's first project and I wanted to run it on ZDS at the time but Ronald convinced me via his forum post that it was a little cramped for multiplayer. I think my views have matured enough that I might dig out a copy of that project again for an FMM session. We shall see!
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a million for the post, Cupboard Cool
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15: This map is small and rectangular. Looks ok, window should be more advantageous to the person on the inside than the outside. Lower the sill so projectiles can pass thru.
16: SSG is just gonna dominate here.
17: Light goggles, I see. Interesting powerup spot.
18: This could exist better as a naturally curving structure. Organic curve, drawn, free form. Instead of dragging vertices to make it bend is lazy.
19: Didn't figure out the BFG? Does a spawn start on it?
20: I actually remembering playing this online with a bunch of people. It was crazy, which is not a bad thing.
21: It's a filler map, ok.
22: So this is your work place? Nice crusher thingy!
23: Reminds me of a cybercrime layout, I'm sure of it.
24: This could be a duel map, neat concept.
25: Stairs could be more accessible and visible at a distance in the northeastern quadrant. That tune! :>
26: Height difference is too extreme, maybe soften the distance for a cozier feel?
27: I remember playing this one with Cybershark and some of the boys from [XXX] and possibly [BIER]. I fucking love this map because it's so different in gameplay from all the others.
28: I would enjoy this theme performed in a singleplayer/fashion, as for multiplayer? Eh. There are a lot of bars, some vertical, others horizontal which restrict movement.
29: Obligatory tune, I think you should save these resources for another project, IMHO.
30: I believe you, me, we all do really need to work on making our stairs less rectangular. Each stair could have many sectors instead of just the blocks.
31: This map is a perfect figure 8. Simple structure.
32: It's a sprawling mash-up of the old rooms of map01 and e1m1. Maybe fun with many people?

Also I do believe the lift raise/lower and landing oomph sounds are annoying, sorry. Also the powerup noises seem strange to me.
DoomKid
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
16: SSG is just gonna dominate here.

Oh man, that map is 100% BFG fest. (Aren't most of my maps, though?)
Quote:
17: Light goggles, I see. Interesting powerup spot.

This one is another BFG whorefest, but the light goggles are a major advantage.
Quote:
19: Didn't figure out the BFG? Does a spawn start on it?

One switych activates the box with the plasma rifle. While that box is down, you can see the BFG switch. Cool
Quote:
21: It's a filler map, ok.

Aww, I did put thought into the gameplay, I promise! Wink (Again, especially the BFG..)
Quote:
22: So this is your work place? Nice crusher thingy!

Yep, I use to work here. I tried making my new workplace - Not nearly as good for DM!
Quote:
23: Reminds me of a cybercrime layout, I'm sure of it.

Really? This aughta make you laugh.. My dog, a german shepard, was laying on the floor. I decided to sketch a map based on his body in Doom Builder. This is what came of it.. (The two halls leading to the green doors were his legs, the crates were his head, etc)
Quote:
25: Stairs could be more accessible and visible at a distance in the northeastern quadrant. That tune! :>

Always gotta sneak my slightly modified version in there somewhere!
Quote:
27: I remember playing this one with Cybershark and some of the boys from [XXX] and possibly [BIER]. I fucking love this map because it's so different in gameplay from all the others.

This was one of my favorite maps to make - I think wide open areas can be a lot of fun.
Quote:
28: I would enjoy this theme performed in a singleplayer/fashion, as for multiplayer? Eh. There are a lot of bars, some vertical, others horizontal which restrict movement.

Heh, this is actually a somewhat lazily edited map from TheDevilzWork, as are a few others. I enjoy DM-ifying sp/coop maps.

Thanks a bunch for finishing this one up, Cuppy. Very detailed and helpful stuff as always! Very Happy I think the next release aught to please you. Taking a different approach next time around!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: