ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Zdaemon and demos recording

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fsn76
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Zdaemon and demos recording Reply with quote

Hello,

Since 1.10, you people know we can't record on zdaemon. Today, some players and I are directly capturing video while in the game (Fraps, Shadowplay), making us play not that perfectly because of some random freezes ( and i heard from some friends that i am teleporting and lag move when i use a video capture tool). My passion is to make some fragmovies but unfortunately, i can't since 1.10b01. I would like to make a new "zdaemon world players" episode.

I'd like to ask to the admins a question:

- Why can't we record on Zd 1.10 and WHEN can you fix it? I know that on Zd 1.09 we can, but since the upgrades between those 2 versions are kinda "important", we don't want to move back to 1.09. ( uncapped is so nice for fragmovie ).
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Refer to the following announcement that was made when the public beta was released:
http://www.zdaemon.org/index.php?CMD=news_item&ID=595&RID=1

This part specifically:
"Demo recording is not supported in the 1.10 beta release because of potential netcode protocol changes."

Since there's apparantly a problem with terminology, demo recording isn't "broken" hence requiring a fix, it is disabled due to the above currently.

It'll be enabled again once the protocol changes for the 1.10 version are completed. As for when: When it's done. It cannot be elaborated any further than that.

This happened during the 1.09 beta as well.

If demo recording was enabled, you'd end up with many demos that'd simply either not work, or would be less than functional once the beta ended.

Backward compatibility between demos applies to the non-beta releases only.
[BK>Bulb
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe some people (including me) would be grateful if we could record demos on this version, even though we knew, that it might not be possible to replay these demos in next versions of Zdaemon. As well we would be aware of the fact these demos might be forever useless in the future, but they wouldn't be, it should be possible to replay 1.10b demos in the current version -- if one backs it up for the future, that would at least solve the problem of being forced to play with Fraps if one wants to record the game.

I understand that the netcode might/can/will change in the next version, but what I'm trying to say is that it's better to have a broken demo (but playable in the current version) than nothing :-)
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the support problem that'll then create, not desirable by a long shot. Differentiating between a beta demo that's no longer functional and another demo that's problematic for a completely different reason would for instance become a complete nightmare.

Creating a problem is not the way to go.

As it stands, once the protocol has been finalized for this version, recording will be enabled again.

Aside from video capture software, the only other option is to make use of 1.09 for the time being,
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We completely understand the reason why demos cannot be recorded at the moment and we understand the compatibility issues that this would bring on longer terms, we clearly understand it. Which means we are aware that these demos would break completely once a new stable version comes up. We don't intend to ask for backwards demo compatibility because we know that making them so would be a real pain.
What we ask, is just the possibility to store zdd demos files along the 1.10b01 executable for later use. I'm no developper but I'm positive that this would not require much work, no? Wink

AF-Domains.net wrote:
Aside from video capture software, the only other option is to make use of 1.09 for the time being,

Video-capture software is quite unreliable at the moment because we would have the HUD and all the in-game effects on screen, which is not something we want in terms of video editing. My Youtube channel and Fsn76's will confirm this.
Also, 1.09 isn't reliable either, because people using Windows 8 like me can't use it, and I do not intend to downgrade just because ZDaemon doesn't work with it, whereas all Doom ports around work smoothly. Plus Fraps doesn't record anything windowed.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People using Windows 8 can use 1.09, but in Windowed mode.

As for storing a binary of the specific beta version along with a demo in question, someone could manually do that.

However, that is a purely manual action.

It does not eliminate the chance of support complaints on this end if a demo of that type is let slip.

At this point, it is currently moot.

If this happens to change, there would be a notification. At the moment it won't until the protocol is finalized.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: