ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aftermath OS Duel is released! Happy 20th DOOMiversary! :)

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
FraGMarE
has entered the game!


Joined: 09 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:33 am    Post subject: Aftermath OS Duel is released! Happy 20th DOOMiversary! :) Reply with quote

It is finally done! The 11 map, vanilla OS duel map pack that I've labored and nitpicked over for the past few months is finally finished!

Since /idgames is currently down, here is the download link:

http://fragmare.mindrec.com/amath.zip

A map pack containing 11 highly polished and thoroughly tested duel maps, made for the original "vanilla" doom2.exe.

This WAD strives to create an oldschool dueling experience while pushing the vanilla engine to its limit. The end result is a map pack that runs on any and all ports of DOOM II (including the original DOS doom2.exe), but looks and plays like something much more contemporary.

There should be something here for everybody to enjoy. That is to say, everyone should be able to find at least one map in this WAD that they like to duel on. There is quite a bit of visual and gameplay variety between all eleven of these maps.

Now for some screenshots:






















Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheCupboard
Generic Title


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Location: USA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zany enough for ZDS.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
FraGMarE
has entered the game!


Joined: 09 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheCupboard wrote:
Zany enough for ZDS.


Zany enough for wha? lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ch0wW
Unstoppable!


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Location: France

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll host it in a few minutes!


EDIT: Personnal review:

- Even though you made this wad for the 20 years of Doom, the wad itself is not that great, contrarly to what I expected.

Okay, let's start it:

- MAP00: By far the best map of the wad. Nicely made, simple and elegant.
The SSG and the damaging lava however are not really nice for a hub map.

- MAP01: I've seen screens, and thought it would be a great tribute of D5M1. However, it's too small to move, adding dual doors ruins a little the fluidity of the map when you first enable it (even though it's nearly like Quake), and well, too much verticality f*cks up the autoaim, making it not really great for a duel.

- MAP02: Not too much to say, the design is nice, but this time, the map is too large to find the opponent in a duel.
Ah, the BFG is really a joke by the way.

- MAP03: My eyes! Too much orange!
You cannot kill someone in the center of the map, there is not much space to kill inside the BFG's zone. Anyway, it's fun to play.

- MAP04: No, really. The map is completely unplayable. 1 zone to go inside, no strategies possible except spamming, and armor + bfg + 100 cells = huge joke.
Too bad, the layout was okay.

- MAP05: Tribute to Judas23, right?
The map is extremely small, but the design of the map is really great. Too bad it's not that great on a duel, because it was extremely easy to spawnkill (and most of the time, you spawn on the BFG because of the very few deathmatch starts.

- MAP06: My eyes!
Sorry but this map isn't even reviewable. For Deathmatch, okay, but the use of textures gave me headache.

- MAP07 + MAP08 + MAP09: those are better for Deathmatch, not 1on1. It's correct, I like them well Smile

- MAP10: SSL2 + mirror + retexturing. Not too much to say.

I won't review MAP11 however, as i've not played it.

Overall, I don't really like this wad, for 1on1, don't even think to have a good map, lots of them are inequal.

However, some of the maps are great for 'deathmath' Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FraGMarE
has entered the game!


Joined: 09 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ch0wW wrote:
I'll host it in a few minutes!


EDIT: Personnal review:

- Even though you made this wad for the 20 years of Doom, the wad itself is not that great, contrarly to what I expected.

Okay, let's start it:

- MAP00: By far the best map of the wad. Nicely made, simple and elegant.
The SSG and the damaging lava however are not really nice for a hub map.

- MAP01: I've seen screens, and thought it would be a great tribute of D5M1. However, it's too small to move, adding dual doors ruins a little the fluidity of the map when you first enable it (even though it's nearly like Quake), and well, too much verticality f*cks up the autoaim, making it not really great for a duel.

- MAP02: Not too much to say, the design is nice, but this time, the map is too large to find the opponent in a duel.
Ah, the BFG is really a joke by the way.

- MAP03: My eyes! Too much orange!
You cannot kill someone in the center of the map, there is not much space to kill inside the BFG's zone. Anyway, it's fun to play.

- MAP04: No, really. The map is completely unplayable. 1 zone to go inside, no strategies possible except spamming, and armor + bfg + 100 cells = huge joke.
Too bad, the layout was okay.

- MAP05: Tribute to Judas23, right?
The map is extremely small, but the design of the map is really great. Too bad it's not that great on a duel, because it was extremely easy to spawnkill (and most of the time, you spawn on the BFG because of the very few deathmatch starts.

- MAP06: My eyes!
Sorry but this map isn't even reviewable. For Deathmatch, okay, but the use of textures gave me headache.

- MAP07 + MAP08 + MAP09: those are better for Deathmatch, not 1on1. It's correct, I like them well Smile

- MAP10: SSL2 + mirror + retexturing. Not too much to say.

I won't review MAP11 however, as i've not played it.

Overall, I don't really like this wad, for 1on1, don't even think to have a good map, lots of them are inequal.

However, some of the maps are great for 'deathmath' Razz


lol I must say, your comments are not really indicative of other comments I've gotten about the maps. Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ch0wW
Unstoppable!


Joined: 05 Feb 2013
Location: France

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FraGMarE wrote:
lol I must say, your comments are not really indicative of other comments I've gotten about the maps. Wink


Hence my personnal advice of the wad. You can't have always 100% of positive criticism, you know Smile
Also, we've done lots of duels today to review a bit how were the maps, and to see what's usually wrong with other "oldschool" wads Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
FraGMarE
has entered the game!


Joined: 09 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ch0wW wrote:
FraGMarE wrote:
lol I must say, your comments are not really indicative of other comments I've gotten about the maps. Wink


Hence my personnal advice of the wad. You can't have always 100% of positive criticism, you know Smile
Also, we've done lots of duels today to review a bit how were the maps, and to see what's usually wrong with other "oldschool" wads Wink


I understand it's all subjective. All I'm saying is your comments don't really coincide with what others have said, both in an overall and specific sense. For example, Map01's height variation has never been a problem with autoaiming when I've played it. In fact, there's really no more height variation than D5M1. Go check it in a level editor. The outdoor area is nearly the same.

Map02 is larger, but I've never had a problem finding opponents on it. Listen for spawns and landings. Be observant.

Map03's color scheme was chosen because it's outdoors, on Mars... you know... where DOOM takes places... where it's orange. If you can't shoot people when they're in the middle, you need to get up close and actually aim with an SSG.

Map04's indoor area was intended to be spammy. And to also invite players to counter said spam with precise movement and SSG aim. Also, if you're letting opponents get the BFG in Map04, you're doing wrong. You should never, ever allow your opponent to get the BFG in that map. It's easy to race up there and kill and them if they get it.

Map05 is more or less Judas on steroids. The BFG spawn is there because it's also there in Judas. The overall layout and spawn points match up with Judas. If you dislike Judas, that's fine. Hell, I'm not even the biggest Judas fan, myself... but many, many people like it. So I remade it. Map05 is also a complete and total blood bath.

Map06's textures are icy. Ice is white. If your gamma is cranked to 3.0, yea, it's not going to look great. F11 to adjust.

7, 8, and 9 would probably make suitable FFA maps, no doubt. But that's not their purpose. Map07 is far too small for any kind of FFA play beyond 4 players anyway.

In general, the WAD was made for OS players (such as myself) to be played with OS settings, in OS style. If you're used to jumping around with mlook enabled and spamming railgun fire from 1000 units away, this WAD probably isn't for you.


Last edited by FraGMarE on Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Chimila
On a Rampage!


Joined: 05 Dec 2013

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Comeback.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FraGMarE
has entered the game!


Joined: 09 Mar 2006

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chimila wrote:
Comeback.


lol *retort* Razz

BTW, this WAD is currently on Dwango United #17 (New Jersey) at zds://208.167.245.119:10617
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
phineas
has entered the game!


Joined: 09 Sep 2010
Location: Hales Corners, WI USA

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 11:09 pm    Post subject: amath.wad reviewed Reply with quote

I hooked up a server with this map last nite when my friend had a lust for killing me. I'm not the greatest Doom player but enjoy playing deathmatch so it really works out great for both of us. I can't believe I actually won a few rounds! I won't be able to give you his opinion, of course.

Now MY opinion is pretty much a sink or swim deal. I'm only on the fence about MAP04... liked MAP01, absolutely LOVE MAP05, liked MAP09, and MAP10 is just slightly evil. Like I said, it was just myself and one friend playing but in general, I prefer FFA, I'm a "more the merrier" deathmatch Doomer.

So, those five of your eleven maps WILL be played again but when we've got the whole gang available for testing them. Maybe I'll add more thoughts about this when that occurs. I imagine that I'll like MAP01 more at that time.

Note to anyone reading this review:
If you like MAP05, Hobomaster22's MAP11 in Onslaught 2 (onsl2.wad) is the bomb!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
DoomKid
Spamming!


Joined: 09 May 2008
Location: Aussie Land

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The orange map.. The fucking orange map is awesome Very Happy

Overall I really enjoyed this. We had a few rounds in the beta version. These maps have an oldschool feeling to them, but the texturing is not your typical run of the mill stuff - It's all been really well thought out. I like the few small tweaks that were made to the d5m1 tribute, the flow felt greatly improved. Also, dat gib sound.

I hope to see more from you at some point, Fragmare. Your mapping style is slick and I'd like to see what you come up with next.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDReview All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group