ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Support android IRC clients

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XCOPY
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Support android IRC clients Reply with quote

Hello, I do understand the reasons behind ZRC being the only supported IRC client in the server. But since people often make friends in zdaemon irc network, wouldn't it be reasonable to make an exception to at least one android-based irc client? That way, people could chat using their android cellphones/tablets and it would save you a lot of work (you wouldn't need to make one from scratch).

Thank you in advance.
bless_
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree, this would most definitely be something that would not only help you communicate with friends that you met on zdaemon, but also for clans, zdaemon events and others such as leagues. Sometimes, I am away from home and it'd be nice to be able to just get on my phone and communicate with someone if I have something important to tell them. For example, I have passed up many ideas for ZCL due to me forgetting them while at work. It'd be nice to get on IRC and tell it to someone. Also, trying to get ahold of someone that gets on only at certain times when I'm away. This indeed is something I'd like to see.

-
.Lristrân
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa XCOPY you won me on posting about this by a sec, I was thinking on doing it like two days ago too.
Back when I got a smartphone and noticing that I could access to Quakenet as well as the ST IRCs, I talked to Kilgore about a chance to have ZRC on mobile devices, basically he gave the avail of maybe in a future release:
Code:
2013-03-30  17:28  <Kilgore>   this is a "somewhat interesting" feature
2013-03-30  17:29  <Kilgore>   but not a "primary" one
2013-03-30  17:29  <Kilgore>   for the simple reason, zdaemon is about gaming: not chatting
2013-03-30  17:29  <Kilgore>   anyway... it will probably happen sometime later

Code:
2013-03-30  17:29  <Kilgore>   i have like 3-4 years worth of "to-do" items

That's it. I know you guys have alot of work left to do yet, adding and improving stuff to the game, but I myself (and the couple above) think this could be an interesting feature, to stay in touch with your mates when there's no a PC, to plan matches, ZDaemon events, etc. etc. Razz
XCOPY
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Lristrân wrote:
[...]have ZRC on mobile devices[...]

Well I like ZRC, it's the only IRC client that sort the channels list in a table by number of users, name, etc. and also the only lightweight and yet user friendly I know of (and honestly, I think it deserves a dedicated page for it). But as I said, making one from scratch would be a lot of work on the developer's side. So, to minimize this, my suggestion is to adopt at least one Android IRC client as an exception for ZDaemon connectivity.

The clan stuff is really a good point, sometimes there is a scrim request while the leader is at work or traveling as example and members need some sort of orientation about who will go to it, discuss strategies and even management in general while at work, this would keep the clan active and as a consequence of that, keep the community alive.

We would greatly appreciate this feature.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Lristrân: by quoting only my text with no context whatsoever, you can make it appear like I agreed to anything you want to "prove". Quoting from a private conversation is tacky anyway; at least please provide some context.

And just so we're clear on that: noone agreed to letting other IRC clients into our chat system; the talk was about extending ZRC and that's later down the road. So regarding this request, I cannot satisfy it; sorry. If you can find another dev/admin that agrees to it, fine by me.
.Lristrân
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thread is about implementing ZDIRC on Android devices and my point was to show that this was already spoken. If that what you say I'm trying to prove. Didn't mean to be tacky however but the context is clear what we're talking about.
I thought I made it clear that you didn't agree but that that could happen in a future release. The request was written I just gave my "indeed".
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.Lristrân: that's not correct. XCOPY is talking about supporting OTHER irc clients (and if we do that, why limit it to android?); you are talking about extending zrc to support Android. Those are 2 different things and you managed to mix up the thread thoroughly.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: