ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dehacked demon bug

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Edwart
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Dehacked demon bug Reply with quote

Well i am trying to add a new map for MGZD using a demon... but when i test it in local works..... but online no (the problem is online doesn't appear the monster.... you can't see him but he can attack you D:) :( i dunno what its the problem

there its the code

Code:
Thing 13 (Demon)
Hit points = 999
Reaction time = 1
Pain chance = 255
Exploding frame = 127
Speed = 60
Missile damage = 300
Bits = SOLID + SHOOTABLE + JUSTATTACKED + COUNTKILL + MISSILE

Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acgecRyX7TA&feature=youtu.be
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sr69 to the rescue?
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:
sr69 to the rescue?

This has something to do with MISSILE flag. I made this dehacked lump:
Code:
Thing 13 (Demon)
Bits = COUNTKILL|FLOORCLIP|MCROSS|PASSMOBJ|PUSHWALL|SHOOTABLE|SOLID + MISSILE

It sets all Demon's bits to exactly what they are in ZDaemon, and adds MISSILE flag (note that this can be reproduced with other monsters, not Demon specifically). A monster with MISSILE flag looks like undefined behaviour to me.

In SinglePlayer, the Demon gained the following effects:
- It goes to "death" states on some 'collisions'. This happens every time it steps down onto a lower nearby sector, or falls from some height to the ground. It also seems to die when touching walls sometimes (rarely).
- It doesn't actually "die" when that happens. You can walk through its corpse (so it's like SOLID flag is ignored here; this wouldn't be the case if it wasn't a MISSILE because A_Fall wasn't executed), however if you fire at it it goes to pain states and then walks again.
- You can push the monster with your gunfire, and it will gain thrust which will be continuously pushing the monster until it's dead.
- Even though Demon seems to be a solid thing, you sometimes can walk into it, resulting in you getting stuck (and eaten up by it Razz)
- All these 'collision' problems were probably not seen on Edwart's map due to all walkable sectors having the same height, I *think*.

In Client/Server mode, this is different from SinglePlayer:
- The moment you join the server all MISSILE'd monsters play their "sight" sound even if they clearly can't see you (not even mentioning that you're a spec).
- The game doesn't draw any MISSILE'd monsters most of the time and they don't produce any sounds either. By "most of the time" I mean that you still can hear sound and see the animation of their pain/death states, but not attacking, walking, etc.

I suggest not to use this kind of thing in your wad, since there's a ton of side-effects and possibly bugs. Edward probably wanted to make a monster that instantly kills you at close range (given how he sets missile damage to 300), but there are ways to do this in a less hacky way - I think even multiple ways actually. For example, you could decrease Demon's radius and run multiple A_SargAttack's at the same tic for a guaranteed kill on a successful bite. Alternatively you could spawn a thing that is unable to attack anyone directly so instead there's a script that does distance checks and damages nearby players accordingly.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spot on sr69!

things with the MISSILE flag are handled in a VERY special way online.
do not use that flag on things that are NOT 'missiles'!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: