ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TNS #68 - Doom The Way id Did

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:26 pm    Post subject: TNS #68 - Doom The Way id Did Reply with quote

This wad nearly brought a tear into my eye, and those who played their shareware copy of Doom on the then awesome x86 or early Pentium computers may also get that feeling. The description on the website reads that it is "a full set of maps that's meant to look, feel, and play like they came from the hands of Romero, Petersen, and Hall", and I must agree with that.

So the plan for this Thursday is to dive deep into the familiar feel of episode one and wander through the darkness of episode two till we reach its fifth map. After this nostalgic walkthrough, a classic pain rotation will follow, and, if we are fast, a third rotation with a bit of random madness and Doom 2 in Doom mixture might be at hand.

DMFLAGS: 100745252 / 806758400
Skill: Ultra Violence
IWAD: doom.wad (doom2.wad loaded as a pwad)
PWADs: dtwid, dtwidmus, tskins1e, miekskins-r3, tns68
Maps: e1m1-e2m5
Lives: 1
Players: 20/50
Item Respawn Time: 60 Seconds
Player Join Limit: 2 Minutes

The Euro session starts at 20:00 GMT (that's 15:00 EST)
The US session starts at 20:00 EST (that's 01:00 GMT)

EDIT: In the end, things went really fast and we did the whole wad.

Last edited by rhinoduck on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mediocre_Rebel
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:O
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Played through this in singleplayer a bit and woah, it feels like it's 1996 for the second time for me (it was the year I got pentium 1). Neat stuff!
Memfis
MemfisWatt

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, is it really necessary to divide this into 2 parts? 14 easy short maps, that's kinda silly. Smile IIRC Base Ganymede session worked just fine with full maplist: we've played two full rotations and then some. And that wad was longer and harder.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess part 2 can be added 'dynamically' as usual in case the rotation ends way too fast.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@memfis: I too was unsure whether to do this in one or two parts, but we'll see. As phenex said, if we go too fast, all we need to do is add the rest of the maps to the maplist during the session.
Krystle
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, attempt number 1 was a fail, but it seems my second suggestion worked!

I haven't played it myself yet, but I have high hopes from Evo's vids that introduced me to the wad.

After all, we can't have me dying in stupid and funny ways if I actually know my way around a map, now can we? Razz
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking forward to revisiting this!
Anima Zero
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah apparently one level's demo crashed Zdaemon for me for some silly reason and apparently it also knocked Fraps offline as I didn't realize it until I was all done recording clips and essentially lost a bunch of clips from roughly some point after E2M8 until the only death you see from me in this highlights video.

Basically, there's not as many deaths as I usually cram into these videos sadly. There's still some funny moments though.

With that out of the way...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQdUMryZgU

Enjoy!
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anima Zero wrote:
So yeah apparently one level's demo crashed Zdaemon for me for some silly reason [...]

Do you remember which of the demos did this? If not just link me to the whole demo pack and i'll run it here.

Btw ... awesome video as always! The hard work is most appreciated.
Anima Zero
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:
Anima Zero wrote:
So yeah apparently one level's demo crashed Zdaemon for me for some silly reason [...]

Do you remember which of the demos did this? If not just link me to the whole demo pack and i'll run it here.

Btw ... awesome video as always! The hard work is most appreciated.

I wish I could tell you, but I immediately cleared out my demos after I had finished recording everything, then realized what happened after I had deleted that stuff, heh.

All I know is that it was in some 3rd episode map.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

;_______;

too bad. crashing demos are the holy grail in bug hunting.
there is no way i can reproduce that exact crash myself just by playing or recording demos there sadly.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@phenex2: The crash happens on e2m9 exit and I found out that it happens even in SP. In case you still want the demo from the session, you can get it here.

UPDATE: The problem was introduced in the 2012-11-12 update for 1.09.01, previous versions do not crash, the server-side is unaffected by this altogether.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you can produce a demo that will crash the client it would be perfect. but its good that you know specifically what causes the crash. we can fix that much faster then. maybe you can try to isolate just the exit for a test map and see if that crashes as well.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:
if you can produce a demo that will crash the client it would be perfect. but its good that you know specifically what causes the crash. we can fix that much faster then. maybe you can try to isolate just the exit for a test map and see if that crashes as well.

I don't think I need to, you guys seem to have a bigger problem, maybe with the intermission/cluster changing or returning from the secret level because I tried just doom.wad in SP and it crashes after e2m9 too. It happens every time so reproducing the crash or producing a demo of it will be easy for you. (If this does not happen for you, of course that I can provide a demo.)

EDIT: Btw, the demo from the TNS session I linked to in my previous post crashes the client for me too.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rhinoduck wrote:
you guys seem to have a bigger problem, maybe with the intermission/cluster changing or returning from the secret level [...]

I just checked the code and this problem is unique to E2M9. Some code cleanup and fixes in 1.09.01 'revealed' and activated this bug. It's fixed
in the upcoming version.
rhinoduck
Potatoes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:
I just checked the code and this problem is unique to E2M9. Some code cleanup and fixes in 1.09.01 'revealed' and activated this bug. It's fixed
in the upcoming version.

Good news!:)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Thursday Night Survival All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: