ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

>> KotH Mapping Competition <<
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: >> KotH Mapping Competition << Reply with quote

Alright, people. It's time to let you all in on a very big plan Dannyboy and myself have been ironing out in IRC and TS. We have the rules, servers, and even the website all set up and ready to be filled with teams. We just need better maps (and 1.09 for glorious demos, of course). So, basically...

WE NEED YOU!

We scanned through the latest KotH pack and only managed to salvage two worthy maps suitable for a private/tourney game. We have also shortlisted a few CTF maps which may be suitable with a little nip/tuck here and there. The thing is... We plan to have a larger maplist here, so we will definitely need 3 or 4 more maps, tailored for 3vs3 koth, from the community.

If you feel capable of being awesome, then crack open Doom Builder, and follow these simple guidelines:

1) Aim to produce fast-flowing KotH maps for some high quality 3 vs 3 play.
    2) Custom textures/flats/music are allowed, but don't go overboard.
    3) All maps must be symmetrical, and use Team Starts rather than DM Starts.
    4) Don't make spawn points too far from (or too close to) the control point.
    5) Make sure there's at least one aux path to the control point. Nobody likes it when maps make cockblock defending too easy!
    6) Height and shape variation is applauded; but nothing too unorthodox. Keep it interesting, but not too crazy Smile

The competition will last for a month, perhaps longer. Once 1.09 is released and we have enough maps submitted, we can begin to vote for winners in this thread. Until then, Get yourselves psyched and produce some teasers as you map, I urge! All non-mappers are encouraged to get learning, or provide feedback to mappers here on their work.

I'm looking forward to finally seeing some real quality maps for such an epic game mode, and epic tournament. What an introduction to 1.09 this could be!

So get cracking, and good luck!

Evo.
Edwart
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want help :D
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
luca
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great idea Surprised ! , I did a quick map koth map for this tourney:
Download Screenshot
Also it would be a nice have a server for playtest the submitted maps.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two you chose were mine, right? So I don't have to make one, right? Just kidding, I'll put one together Smile

Op-Cow
franckFRAG_
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, just for one map... I participate! Very Happy
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can set up a server on new jersey for any maps that need to be play tested, just send [dp]evolution or myself a private message in irc. Looking forward to seeing the awesome maps to come out of this competition! Good luck to everyone participating!
UberGewei
SuperAntler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in! Very Happy
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to see immediate interest! Thanks for getting on board.

luca: I checked your map out. It guarantees fast pace due to the size and simplicity. However I feel it's too closed off. There's no secondary path or passageway to the koth beacon, the corridors are cramped, and the map is a tad too grey for the eyes. I'd love to see this get a facelift though, it could be a great one.

We'll have a test server up very soon, courtesy of AF-Domains.net!
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's my submission

https://sites.google.com/site/opcow4/ockoth.wad

Op-Cow
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on a map atm!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: >> KotH Mapping Competition << Reply with quote

Evolution wrote:
We scanned through the latest KotH pack and only managed to salvage two worthy maps suitable for a private/tourney game.

You must have really skimmed through. About a third of them are just downright unplayable, but I'm sure there's probably at least 4 that would work.

And maybe if we'd gotten some more feedback on those maps then they'd be better? Oh well, at least they were good enough to get us an official version of the gamemode Smile

Evo wrote:
3) All maps must be symmetrical, and use Team Starts rather than DM Starts.

I understand the teamstart issue, as plain DM starts can lead to telefrags. But what is this crap about symmetry? It doesn't even make any sense if you just say "symmetrical"! Across which lines, or around which point? Are you looking for only Surge/Overload maps here? Laughing

Evo wrote:
I'm looking forward to finally seeing some real quality maps for such an epic game mode, and epic tournament. What an introduction to 1.09 this could be!

Tourney "standard" is a great idea btw. I was already thinking of suggesting a 1on1 tourney to Gyross. If not in the existing kothpack, there are some maps in Krawa's DW11 conversion which work quite well Wink
Imagine ANY duel map with some item switched to the KotH point? That is SOOOOO possible now. That made me think about making a patch for ZDDL.wad. Although, obviously, Shoot would be just as shit as it ever was. Sorry, can't work miracles! Laughing
Edwart
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We Did 3 Maps :)

Map03 By Zedek

Map01 By Zedek

Map02 By Edwart

Download
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THREE MAPS? Fuck. I;ll have to look at these when I'm nice and sober. Much impressed!!!
spacepirate
AssPants

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh, mine is done!

http://www.speedyshare.com/GxfpU/koth-sp.zip
Alteus
Altues

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is something Ive been entertaining with last days, the intention was to produce a 3vs3 map, but dont know if now its too big for that... Anyways, theres no harm in posting it! Smile

Construction Site:

Download Link: http://speedy.sh/2nPPa/Koth-Construction-Site9.zip
Edwart
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alteus wrote:

Construction Site:

Perrondon Approves ;)
Dannyboy
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great submissions so far guys, keep 'em comin!
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current set of maps submitted (7 in total): http://guides2.clanservers.com/wads/kothzdcompetition1a.zip

We'll be play-testing these hopefully tonight. If not, then tomorrow! I will post again to let you all know which server and password.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JOIN UP! There's some private games going on now.

zds://208.167.245.124:10604 -- password = "noidiots"
Alteus
Altues

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yesterday I was using a crappy 3g connection and lagged like hell, hopefully this month Ill have my good connection back :] Meanwhile here are my opinions for maps01-06:

- Map01 - Greyball - Blackstar -

Like evo said in a previous post, I miss an alternate path to koth room; otherwise the dominating team can just camp in front of the other team base and kill them while they come in a hurry.

Maybe I would try to raise the translucency of blue glass, red one is ok but this one looks too translucent to me, but thats a minor issue.

- Map02 - Untitled - Op-Cow -

The map is good, but it just needs more scale since in the 15 minutes of gameplay both teams werent able to score. We just heard: Blue team dominating - Red team dominating - Blue - Red - Blue - brbrbrb. :d
Maybe placing player spawns farther so it takes some secs more to reach koth point solves the prob.

- Map03 - The Island - Zedek -

I think ive nothing to say about this one, only echoing some players comments: maybe consider to place in spawns weaps like cg and sg instead of ssg and place this last somewhere outside so the players dont abuse of it. Also maybe consider placing some obstacles more in the open area.

- Map04 - Construct - "Perrondo" -

I dont like total symmetry either, but koth and ctf maps are symmetric (height and plan) because that guarantees terrain equallity between teams and the factor that decides what team is the winner its the gameplay quality of its members.

Like map02 I would apply to this one a bigger scale; however teams were able to score in this one o.o maybe cause once your team had the control of hill, it seemed easy to camp it but dont exactly know.

Also teams spawns being so nearer... hrm.. I didnt realize if the first minutes were a carnage since I was afk but before testing it I thought that would result in: press join key as fast as I can, grab the ssg!, blow opponents head before they blow mine! When I returned seemed that players were busier in killing each other in central hill than in spawns, so ok.

And IMO the invil sphere made it confusing to know if the invil guy was on your team or in the opponents. lol

- Map05 - Circles - Zedek -

This one looked to me like the most balanced map so far. Just one thing to say: The elevators of the devil... meh.. I though the elevators surrounding koth point were a bad idea at first but after seeing players "having fun" with them... I dont know if i would reconsider some changes (increasing the area inside those elevators) or deleting them.

I love the map's song too much, its called The Last Hope and I havent been able to find it but in Cybercrime wad.

- Map06 -

Maybe im wrong since I was spectating this one but it seemed to me like if the success of scoring and dominating the hill depended if the team was lucky enough to "spawn-spree" in the upper areas instead of the elevators.

Ah, and missing Ashwall texture in linedefs 1687 / 794 :]

Thats all, I think I havent forgotten anything, and if theres any grammar error forgive this poor spaniard Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: