ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux & Zdaemon
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostlyDeath
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danni wrote:
If we and zdoom were closed source the whole time it would have taken them significantly longer to develop those.

If ZDoom was closed source to begin with, CSDoom, Odamex, ZDaemon, Skulltag, GZDoom and any other ZDoom based port wouldn't exist or exist as they do today.
Achtung
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tried ZDaemon under CrossOver Games and everything seems to work flawlessly.

Just a heads up.
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crossover tends to lag behind the actual wine versions, so you're probably at an earlier version of wine, unless it says otherwise.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cha0tix wrote:
Crossover tends to lag behind the actual wine versions, so you're probably at an earlier version of wine, unless it says otherwise.

Crossover wrote:
CrossOver Games is built on the latest versions of Wine...CrossOver Games aims to bring you the latest, greatest, bleeding edge improvements in Wine technology. This means that the newest games run faster and better under CrossOver than under other versions of CrossOver, or other version of free Wine, for that matter.

Basically, better off for more DirectX compatibility, and as such, games. Don't doubt teh Crossover team Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not doubting them, but I've seen that message (in similar wording) before. They ARE known to lag behind WINE releases, which is one of the more frequent complaints they get. Then again, if it works, it works. Wink But I'll stick to WINE unless I see closer release cycles.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a small update that Wine 1.0 RC1 does not yet fix the DirectDraw flicker bug. I am currently talking with the Wine developers to see if this bug that was introduced in 0.9.56 can be fixed before the gold release of 1.0.

More information on this bug can be found here. If you want this bug prioritized then vote for it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
GhostlyDeath
God like!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:
Just a small update that Wine 1.0 RC1 does not yet fix the DirectDraw flicker bug. I am currently talking with the Wine developers to see if this bug that was introduced in 0.9.56 can be fixed before the gold release of 1.0.

More information on this bug can be found here. If you want this bug prioritized then vote for it.

So it's fixed
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hew yae
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, and I'll have a little suprise later on today with regards to that.
Achtung
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StealthCP wrote:

I voted.

EDIT: Oh wait, it's fixed isn't it?
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up, newest wine (1.1.3) chops ZDs fps alot ingame. Probably has to do with the DDraw patches, since it felt like ddraw was set in openGL mode. I set it in the registry and its still choppy. So yeah. Keep at 1.1.2!
niv
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also like to state that not just Linux, but also native support for the following platforms would be great (since I own them all, and have friends that do as well, who enjoy Doom):

Sun Solaris (x86 and SPARC) - Imagine the FPS I'd get on my 1.2ghz UltraSPARC IV
SGI IRIX (MIPS) - Same as above, but even better (I've got an SGI Fuel which I'd LOVE to Doom on).
IBM AIX (POWER and PowerPC) - Same as above
Mac OS X (both PowerPC and Intel)

and also the more conventional systems:
x86 and x86_64 Free/Net/OpenBSD (This won't be hard at all if you have Linux support).

Basically what I'm saying is to make the source code portable for Unix/X systems. This would mean that to support the non-x86 systems, you'd use #ifdefs around the inline assembly in the #else case write the code in C. I could also write the inline assembly for each of those architectures as I know hem.

It's not a super-hard task, in fact, once you get x86/Linux working, you're 90-95% of the way there. And I realize that I'm probably the only person who would use SGI and IBM RS/6000 systems, but I know other people who have them and might like to play ZDaemon. And since the task isn't that hard (like I said, once you have native x86 or x86_64 Linux support), there's not a whole lot of reason not to do so.

FYI: I got Odamex to work on SPARC/Solaris with one patch. It was basically patching a non-4-byte-aligned int write to be a memcpy instead. RISC platforms don't like when you write those to unaligned addresses. But guess what - x86 doesn't either. It supports it, but it's much slower (optimization hint).
twipley
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, haven't really read the whole thread; just noting a personal solution:

- Under Linux (e.g., Ubuntu), get VirtualBox v4.1 or higher and that will make sure to keep non-high-end games functional for those who prefer not to go the dual-boot (oh, such an ugly!) way.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux is crap, so just run Windows anyway? That isn't solving the problem. Wine is fine, and porting it is fine. But VirtualBox is just plain running the game in Windows.
Achtung
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stealth wrote:
Linux is crap, so just run Windows anyway? That isn't solving the problem. Wine is fine, and porting it is fine. But VirtualBox is just plain running the game in Windows.

I don't think he was implying Linux is crap.
Intoxicate
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if anyone could help me I have just made the switch to Ubuntu 12.04 from Win7 and am having trouble running ZD under Wine. I am very new to linux so i don't quite understand the error but i believe it's because i am trying to run under the 64bit version. Is this even possible, do i need to make any changes? The Launcher loads up fine and works correctly the only problem is when i try to join a game. The error is posted below.

Any help would be appreciated.

http://pastebin.com/1s9WGM66
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you didn't see the stickied thread in ZDaemon Help & Chatter named Problems running ZDaemon in Wine (Linux)? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: