ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZOMG!!!!!1111 Racing Mod!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This is a Yoshi skin I took out of smdremix. There were no credits with that file and, as it was all ripped from Mario anyways, I didn't see that permissions were an issue.
There's also a Knight Rider skin in the hugely unknown dhskins1 by DoorHenge. Not sure if it'd be cool to extract that one or not. Drop him an email, maybe?
There's definitely some Sonic and Tails skins around the place too...

Thanks for digging those up, I've hacked most of the player frames out though, so any sprite I use are going to need some 'shopping anyways.
Quote:
Heh, you missed something there. Players may spawn with those keys - although I'm not sure if that's even still the case, as there was talk of expanding the "spawn keys in teammodes" DMFLAG to cover all DM modes. But that's irrelevant here, as you can simply strip them all from players every time they spawn

Good point, but I think it'd be a bit brutal to make the players start over everytime they get killed. If that dmflag change is the case tho...
Quote:
Another way to "up the damage" is to decrease the mass of the players (a la Alfred's Xuled mod).
(Damn, that really needs a replay on something...)

where DID alfred go anyways?
Quote:
Think something like how my FlameSphere works

never saw that one. I'm at a loss

Op-Cow
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's an updated wad with a new map by me, and a prettying up of perrondon's mute city track. I've made the previously mentioned changes, and reduced the player mass (thanks cybershark). Let's pay attention to how that works.
https://sites.google.com/site/opcow4/rrace1.wad
I've made some pretty radical changes to the look of the mute city wad. I know mute city is kind of an evening/night place, but I couldn't get it working to well with the doom palette, so I changed it up a bit, doomified it, and put together a nice "by perrondon" sign. The level itself plays great, and it's way different from the treacherous obstacle courses that I've been envisioning.

Screen shots!

Blood Pipes! Inspired by "Red Planet" on the old virtual world pods that also had battletech on 'em. I wonder if anyone has ported that to pc yet.

Orale! Perrondon's mute city map. I dressed it up so it sits somewhere between SNES F-Zero and the Gamecube F-Zero GX. It's a solid map, and now I think it looks pretty snazzy too.
Thanks for your continued interest!

Op-Cow
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, looks very cool!
Test server is updated.
BestOfTheWorst
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool work on this, looks like the best racing mod i've seen so far Smile

Some feedback on maps:

Map01 - Blood Pipes
    This one has a rather simple and small layout, but I think that's just fine for a first map introducing the mode. The map being rather tight, I'd probably not recommend more than 4 players at once in there.

Not sure if the weapons should be positioned in a bit more specific locations.. atm I think they kinda look like they were thrown in random spots in the map.

I would also suggest adding some windows in the long wall separating the two corridors, as that would allow seeing if someone on the other side is catching up to you or vice versa.

Map02 - Mute City
    I quite like this one; Rather than an obstacle course, it's the kind of (classic?) racing map where the key to victory is perfecting the turns and slides in the map. The track is wide enough to let you race full speed without having to slow down or bump into stuff too easily.

I also like how the map is so open, that you can see plenty of the track from most areas, this again lets you better see how close/far you are from others. To improve it further more height variation could be added to the map.

..and then some feedback on the mode:
    - You should get rid of the keycards, and use ACS arrays to store the player laps instead; this would allow you to have any number of laps (and its even possible to make it a cvar that server hosts can adjust per map)

- I very much suggest adding a ordered checkpoint system to the maps. This would allow much more variety in the layouts, aswell as solve or facilitate most of the problems related to players skipping portions of the track.

You could for example have crossroads, where a player coming from south would have to cross it north first because they'd need to visit checkpoint #2 before they can go east towards checkpoint #4.

This would also solve cheating with the finish line.. You'd just ignore passing the finish line if they haven't visited the other checkpoints first. (And a checkpoint would not be valid if its not the next from your current one)

With checkpoints you could also display time differences etc.

P. S. Try the playing the maps with this pwad loaded on top. Razz
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol @ mod, Worst!

BestOfTheWorst wrote:
You should get rid of the keycards, and use ACS arrays to store the player laps instead; this would allow you to have any number of laps (and its even possible to make it a cvar that server hosts can adjust per map)

Keycards were just the best way to display the number of laps completed on-screen - up until b28 got here.
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the feedback!

BestOfTheWorst wrote:

..and then some feedback on the mode:
    - You should get rid of the keycards, and use ACS arrays to store the player laps instead; this would allow you to have any number of laps (and its even possible to make it a cvar that server hosts can adjust per map)

- I very much suggest adding a ordered checkpoint system to the maps. This would allow much more variety in the layouts, aswell as solve or facilitate most of the problems related to players skipping portions of the track.

You could for example have crossroads, where a player coming from south would have to cross it north first because they'd need to visit checkpoint #2 before they can go east towards checkpoint #4.

This would also solve cheating with the finish line.. You'd just ignore passing the finish line if they haven't visited the other checkpoints first. (And a checkpoint would not be valid if its not the next from your current one)

With checkpoints you could also display time differences etc.

I was under the impression that variables associated with the player get reset when they die and respawn. If the player dies, they lose their lap progress. Is this not the case, or is there a way around it?

Oh yeah, that ghost is nifty

Op-Cow
BestOfTheWorst
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Keycards were just the best way to display the number of laps completed on-screen - up until b28 got here.

Yep, but now it can be better done with ACS and hudmessages.

Op-Cow wrote:
I was under the impression that variables associated with the player get reset when they die and respawn. If the player dies, they lose their lap progress. Is this not the case, or is there a way around it?

Nah, if you use ACS variables to store the players laps, then nothing will get reset when the player dies or respawns unless you explicitly specify so.

If you need any help with this, I can help ofcourse Razz
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm particularly wondering how to set up a "lap" variable for each player. I could base it on some sort of inventory thing like ammo I guess.
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Code:
#define MAXPLAYERS 50
int laps[MAXPLAYERS];

// somewhere in your code:
script 100 (void)
{
  laps[PlayerNumber()]++;
}

You seriously no longer need hax like stuff related on ammo and crap like that. Welcome to 1.09b28 Op-cow Smile
BestOfTheWorst
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op-Cow wrote:
I'm particularly wondering how to set up a "lap" variable for each player. I could base it on some sort of inventory thing like ammo I guess.

Nonono, you are thinking way too hacky there.. Ammo is not an ACS variable but rather part of the player inventory and thus it will be reset when a player dies/respawns.

What you need is ACS variables, for example:
Code:
#Define MAXPLAYERS 50

int PlayerLaps[MAXPLAYERS]; //Contains the lap counts of each player

Script 100 (void) //Finish line
{
    PlayerLaps[PlayerNumber()]++;
}

EDIT: dang, Sr was faster Razz
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

easy enough right?

Thanks for the help! I'm going from a few half remembered bits of qbasic from almost 20 years ago to trying to script a mod by learning acs as I go. I really don't know what's possible, let alone how to do it.

With this the mod should work in ffa.

To Do list:
-Rework scoring
-Turbo boost! (Cybershark showed me a little demo wad with a script that I should be able to adapt to make a nitrous tank).
-HUD messages: Current lap, Amount of boost, maybe a leader board. We'll see how cluttered it looks.
-Reset player mass
-alter wall damage
-implement some mapping suggestions

About the wall damage. I fiddled around with a script that does damage based on speed, but since your speed is most likely zero when you hit the wall, it wasn't doing any damage unless it was a grazing hit. The only other thing I can think of would be to constantly monitor speed and figure out a way to detect sudden deceleration, and cause damage based on that. I don't think it would be a good idea to have a bunch of processes running at the same time. Also, this will never be a driving sim, and I think an abstract slap on the wrist is adequate for the stylized racing game that this is becoming. That said, I'll be reducing the wall damage to make it a bit less punishing, as it looks like people will be shooting at you now.

Thanks again for all the help.

Op-Cow
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep forgetting to say: Did you ever check out Exl's Ice Race (icerace10.wad) ?

You might find i interesting Wink
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, saw that one way back in the day.

It was nifty.
Edwart
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a recommendation. put the sound on the wad to win the race 6:01 to 6:05

Sound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Turbo Boost

For this you need 4 things, all of which are relatively simple. We'll use the timebombs from Heretic to create an inventory item that when used, will propel the player in the direction they are headed.

The first thing needed to be done is make the timebombs into dummy items. In your DeHackEd, add:

Code:
Thing 166
  Initial frame = 0

This makes the timebombs immediately disappear when dropped, and gives us something to check for in our scripts.

The next step is to get ahold of Worst's Heretic DEHSUPP, which makes the activated timebomb thing accessible to DeHackEd for modification above. You'll need to insert this lump into your wad in order for your DeHackEd patch to work.

Then we need a script to continuously check each player's inventory for the timebomb. We get their current amount, wait one tic, then get the amount again, and compare the two.

Code:
Script 1 Enter
{
  While (PlayerHealth() && PlayerInGame(PlayerNumber()))
  {
    int Bombs = CheckInventory("ArtiTimeBomb");
    Delay(1);

If (CheckInventory("ArtiTimeBomb") < Bombs)
    {
      int X = GetActorVelX(0);
      int Y = GetActorVelY(0);
      int Z = GetActorVelZ(0);
      SetActorVelocity(0, X * 2, Y * 2, Z * 2, TRUE, TRUE);
    }
  }
}

Script 2 Respawn
  ACS_Execute(1, 0, 0, 0, 0);

When the script finds that the current number of timebombs is less than that of the previous tic, we assume the player has used one, and then double their velocity when this has been detected.

All else that is needed is to spawn some ArtiTimeBomb actors into the map, or give them directly to players, and let the players use them whenever they feel like it! I might suggest limiting how many are available to any one player (by using TakeInventory() if the amount exceeds a certain number, for instance) so that players can't abuse them. You could also play a custom sound during the turbo event too, if you feel like it.

Anyways, have fun, and good luck!

You might have some competition here!
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Nifty idea, but i've already got a working turbo boost based on one of cybershark's mods. Although, speaking of timebombs....
Also done are a new base scoring system, a HUD with a lap counter and boost counter.

Anyways, still left to do
-integrate a checkpoint system
-make a leader board
-make a turbo boost pickup item or go the easy route and award a boost each lap.
-map and dehacking

Op-Cow
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

say, does anyone know who made those two new maps on the server?

Super Off Road: This one could be nifty, and fun. It'll need some dressing up, need to change the flat on the moguls as they are difficult to see. I'm concerned about moguls reaching across the whole track. It allows other players to catch up, but then just slows em down again. We'll have to see how it plays.

Indy 500: I'm hesitant about this one, but first; sector friction wasn't enabled on the track sectors. When I did enable it I thought 255 was overkill. Also, the thrust on the finish line wasn't aligned properly, and it sent you into the outside wall instead of forward.
My concerns are: The oval track really shows of the limitations of using a slippy track to simulate turning. Those big long turns are all about angle of approach, when to speed up, and when to slow down. I think gamers are more savvy about racing games then they were in the 8/16 bit era, and cornering like this would bring up the "why am I playing this when I could be playing forza?" question.
Also, oval tracks are endurance races. It's about when to refuel, tire temp and condition, when to pass and when to keep pace, etc. In short races like this we'd need something else to make it fun. Obstacles, boost, whatever.
Last, Banking the whole track bugs me. Leaving the straights flat and the corners banked would look better.
That said, I really like the infield, it's cool.
Thoughts?

Op-Cow
Edwart
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Op-Cow wrote:
say, does anyone know who made those two new maps on the server?

I do Super Off Road (SNES GAME) and Lukasxd do the Indy 500
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the work in progress.
https://sites.google.com/site/opcow4/rrace2b.wad

-New scoring system
-Turbo boost
-HUD messages
-Player mass reset, rocket sped up
-Map changes
-greatly reduced wall damage
-Redid Perrondon's pit area in mute city

It should work in FFA now.

Plus, a (kinda) new map Razz

still trying to figure out how I can make a leaderboard.

Let me know what you think

Op-Cow
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh cool, we've found a way to play Crash Team Racing online! Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: