ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King of the Hill
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Op-Cow
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, no worries about the fixes. I'd love to see what you've done with the map.

The new one is a bit out there. I'm just floating an idea more than anything on that one.

Op-Cow
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are things faring with this of late? It's not a frequent occurrence to see collaborative projects in this day and age, so gold stars all around.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This and DDom are the boys!
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacepirate wrote:
For me, it does not matter. Both possibilites give it a nice twist to the game. Wink

I think it's more a case that one way means the map works as intended, whereas the other breaks it. Having now played this one a couple of times, I don't really feel it works very well. I like what you tried to do - give the players the choice of whether to run to the point, or to go for the SSG and blue armor, but it just takes too long to get to the control point, and the button doesn't even get a look in.

TheCupboard wrote:
How are things faring with this of late?

There's a version 01j coming at some point, with more fixes and improvements. Possibly have a couple of maps dropped too.

Krawa has firm plans to ZDS this, so we'll definitely have the new version for then Wink
ledill-vd-plas
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for bump this, but
dude i forgot i was making a map for this Embarassed

Sorry! i will try to finish it only if you want more maps for it Wink
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BRING IT ON!
Alteus
Altues

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said some months ago that I had a map that could fit Koth but had some problems and buried it till this week. It was a project in which I was playing with curves and slopes, dont know if you will like the concept since its a bit stuffed but anyways here it is:

King of the Hill - Dome. http://www.mediafire.com/?wl1u2b8w63756uf

Btw, this is my first map published. :]
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2012 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rf_Xen: the map looks interesting! Let's ask Shark next days if he wants to make a new KOTH pack.

check out [GL] 109 Berlin >>> King of the Hill zds://85.214.234.197:10025
BestOfTheWorst
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rf_Xen wrote:
pics

That certainly looks interesting Razz
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[XXX]Krawa wrote:
Rf_Xen: the map looks interesting! Let's ask Shark next days if he wants to make a new KOTH pack.

Maybe, possibly, not really.

Once again, it's not all about throwing as many maps as you can find into a single pack
Quality, not quantity! Not saying your map is bad, Xen - I have no clue, as Mediafire doesn't want to let me download anything atm Sad

I've made a small patch which converts kothpack to the new Zdaemon KotH standard. That's running on Mano's GL server now (although the patch should not really be optional).

Aside from that, why don't you use the debut of the gamemode as the starting point for a fresh pack of maps - starting with Xen's? Just, promise me you won't be so lame as to call it zdkothmp1 Laughing
Alteus
Altues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Mediafire doesn't want to let me download anything atm Sad

Yeah, I dont use to upload anything on mediafire but I registered last week on wadhost/fathax and havent received the account activation email yet. D:

Cybershark wrote:
...Just, promise me you won't be so lame as to call it zdkothmp1 Laughing

lol!

Well, if you guys have a chance to take a look at the map, I will be interested in receiving comments and critics. I stopped adding detail when I realized there was a fps drop in the farthest areas (the ones you see almost every element of the map) and I would like to know if you experiment that fps drop too.

Also, I tried that the time taken from any player spawn to the dome didnt exceed 8-10 seconds (taking a chaingun/shotgun). If a player wants a ssg, rl, a powerup, etc. he will have to lose some valuable time :]
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CN and CI played a few private games of KoTH and found that that alot of maps force you to jump/freelook etc. Some of the maps where awesome though, the OS type maps are really fun to play with this gamemode and make it extremely challenging to win. I can see this being a hit with more maps being made.
luca
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a look at the map and I gotta say its awesome at terms of detail and lighting effects but no that much in gameplay Confused .First of all the map its pretty dark so you can't see well the colour of your team/enemies until you got them on the top of the dome.Also the koth point its too exposed , you have a wide open space for enter the dome and reach the point thats really hard to defend.I had the same experience as you , the fps drop makes unplayable the map a some areas .Fixing those issues I think it would be a solid map Smile
Alteus
Altues

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the feedback luca, it really helps.

luca wrote:
First of all the map its pretty dark so you can't see well the colour of your team/enemies until you got them on the top of the dome.

About the map being pretty dark, it didnt look like that to me when i was testing it, but I suppose it depends too on gamma and monitor you're using; anyways it may be dark for a koth map and I think I will raise the global brightness a bit.

luca wrote:
Also the koth point its too exposed , you have a wide open space for enter the dome and reach the point thats really hard to defend.

Yeah, the dome is vulnerable... I noticed that in the first stage of the map and thats why I added some solid walls and windows in the perimeter of it. I will think about adding more visual obstacles but I dont want the centre to be a closed space, want that the players there experiment some outer pressure. There are 3 stairs to access the dome, dont really know if they will be too hard to defend since the map hasnt been tested in multiplayer yet, but the idea was that 3-4 players of a team could defend it: once the team wins control of the dome, they only have to worry to defend those stairs and withstand that pressure.

luca wrote:
I had the same experience as you , the fps drop makes unplayable the map a some areas .Fixing those issues I think it would be a solid map Smile

Yeah... In fact I would have continued the map but that fps drop frightened me and I stopped, I should have imagined that this would occur in such an open space. I will try to delete useless sectors and vertexes and if that is not enough I suppose I will have to remove quality from map elements or try that the player dont see all of them at the same time... :] (This is easiest in modern engines where far elements can be replaced with a lighter version of them DSmile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Wad Editing All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: