ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"go back to spectators" command

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ModeneseAdriano
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: "go back to spectators" command Reply with quote

it would be a better solution than reconnecting in some circumstances imho.. also you automatically join spectators after idling for a while without respawning, so it shouldn't be that difficult to implement this feature (I guess)
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: "go back to spectators" command Reply with quote

ModeneseAdriano wrote:
it would be a better solution than reconnecting in some circumstances imho..

Could you name them?
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO.

Horrible feature in ST, just used to be abused.
ModeneseAdriano
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: "go back to spectators" command Reply with quote

Sr69Mm-jC wrote:
Could you name them?

e.g. you accidentally joined and you want to go back to specs without splitting demo/potentially lose your slot in a full server/whatsoever
but anyway, if you're trying to say it's not that important/useful to have it you might be right, but it wouldn't be so bad to have it either(unless you know some good reasons to NOT have it)
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evolution wrote:
Horrible feature in ST, just used to be abused.

Abused how exactly? Smile

Really guys, I'm personally not against this feature; just trying to get some reasoning behind "yes" or "no" Razz

Last edited by Sr69Mm-jC on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Modenese, it is useful when you join and wish to spectate - Especially if you're trying to save a spectator spot in EDL or some other league. I can't see where there'd be a big issue with having it?
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In ST some players just spectate at games where they are an inch from losing, or jsut want to rq mid-game, heh.
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same as quitting though. I don't see how this would change anything, quitting is easier.
Oxyde
Dominating!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In order to prevent a possible abuse, what could be used is a server side cvar that blocks switching for a long period, let's say 2 minutess. This could work on the same system that is used in Survival to keep of dead/disconnected players. This way, a player that constantly switches, even after disconnecting, will be forced to wait as a spectator.
Evolution
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eagle-Eye wrote:
It's the same as quitting though. I don't see how this would change anything, quitting is easier.

alt+f4 = two keys
proper quit = at least four keystrokes
reconnect = type that into console and hit return
spectate bind = one key

I've saw such behavior so often from the few occasions I've been bored enough to lurk in a duel server on st, and it's always just used by the losing player to troll and prevent a win. And if rumors are true about who OP is supposedly known as in st then it's definitely no surprise to know that the reason for such a suggestion lies in the previous sentence. It's way more comfortable to quit playing when there's an option that would seamlessly keep them in the server. Meh. Confused
Fluffles
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has gotten abused for the reason Evo has stated, would be stupid to implement it. People in Zdaemon have just quit in a similar way but if there was a bind to do it for them they'd just get use to doing that before losing all the time.

It's just plain annoying.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this has been discussed some years ago and the consensus was that the abuse potential is too high and too much safeguards would be needed to minimize it.
imagine someone becoming a spec each time you almost kill them in ffa just to piss you off.
if you want a single key solution bind reconnect to some key. 1.09 will also create a new demo file when you reconnect while recording.
ModeneseAdriano
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And if rumors are true about who OP is supposedly known as in st then it's definitely no surprise to know that the reason for such a suggestion lies in the previous sentence.

yeah, I requested this so that I can ragequit more easily!!!

Aside from the fact that one could bind the "reconnect" command and it would take just one key as well if that's the matter(yeah, people take care about how many keys they have to stroke to consider whether to ragequit or not :\ ), how many times did you see me quitting mid-games in here? Get the facts straight before you shit talk about people you don't know anything about.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feature rejected, this topic doesn't need to remain open any longer.
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Implemented in a very specific manner.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Implemented Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: