ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Player gets stuck between 'vertically-placed' objects

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sr69Mm-jC
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:39 pm    Post subject: Player gets stuck between 'vertically-placed' objects Reply with quote

So this is the test map I've created.

Let's do some calculations.
Sector height: 240 units
Hanging body height: 84 units
Large tree height: 108 units (according to zdoom wiki, since vanilla didn't support actors being above/below other actors so a couple of decorative objects don't have a true height. Large tree was 16 units)

Space between objects: 240 - (84+108) = 48
Player height: 56

Player shouldn't even be able to get into there!
However, if you actually test the map you might feel that space is kind of sucking you into it. Touch the objects just slightly and you might instantly get completely stuck.
This seems to happen with many different kinds of objects, including things like Bridge Radius. I wonder if you can also get stuck between two floating monsters.

Map can be found here:
http://wadhost.fathax.com/files/verticalstucktest.zip
Shoot the switch to kill yourself. That might be faster than enabling and disabling noclip back an fourth.

P.S. I understand this might be a "low-level" doom engine physics thing which won't be fixed but hey my job is simply to report what doesn't work well. Besides, it seems it's happening in every port I'm trying it with...

EDIT: This happens in both SP and c/s. This is not a new bug, as it occurs in 1.09, 1.08.08b, and I even tested it with 1.08.01 (same result).

Last edited by Sr69Mm-jC on Sat Aug 13, 2011 4:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this something new? is it something that happens only in client/server (as opposed to single player) mode? or to put it more plainly... is that a ZDaemon (as opposed to a ZDoom 1.23) bug? you realize the relative importance of ZDaemon versus ZDoom bugs: I really don't want to hear stuff about the ZDoom engine here please unless it's something really important.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we can settle this quickly.
heretic allowed you to walk on top of things. make the same map for heretic.
if vanilla heretic has the same problem we leave it like it is, otherwise it might be worth investigating

ok SR69MM-JC was so nice to provide a heretic testmap.

now the behaviour is different. it seems we inherited the behaviour from zdoom. the player seems to step on the things in the pit and then gets stuck. in heretic the things block you completely and you can slide along them freely.

i'll try to track down the zdoom version that introduced the problem and then we see about a fix.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mirror links:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sVGsbitZsIZXkOKDQrit1DFIDJ-A03Xn/view?usp=sharing
https://monkey.zdaemon.org/demowads/verticalstucktest.zip
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Confirmed Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: