ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The 1.09 Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[n00b]Adereth
Spamming!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, ancient trivia, ancient answer, and here it is: the original motif was to reserve 2.x for a hypothetical version of ZDaemon based on the ZDoom 2 codebase. Danni started on this at least once, and I recall being told that it had worked pretty well, but there was some horrifying problem that kept it from being practical. In effect, there's already a piece of software called ZDaemon 2.0.
Danni
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's true, i lost it though.
Stealth
Gone with the wind

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's amusing how much difference a number can make. Year 2000 for example, or that fact we're still on IPv4 when there's a 'perfectly good' IPv6 out there.

Can't wait for it to be casually released.

Code:
1.09 Release (Apr. 29, 2010)
---------------------------------------
  * Various bugfixes and improvements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SwiftShot
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a year on, from the last comment ... Any update?
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually read the damn changelog, it is not hard to find; Pure laziness if you can't be bothered to do that.

Tread carefully.

For the sake of convenience, here it is:
Change Log

Also available on the homepage.
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interest was piqued in seeing recent activity in this subfora. Figured it must going to be a late entry in the 'barrelfrags are lame' landslide poll. But nay, it's something I'd quite like to sink my carnassials* into!

I'm sorry Dom, but don't be ragging on Swift. Like you say, anyone can find the changelog, but I think that was not his point. They could find it again in another year, but the same question would remain - "... Any update?"

What is it now? 18 months of betas? We all accept and understand that RERO is not the way of Zdaemon, but Jesus shit... maybe you ever think it's maybe time to draw some kinda actual goallines here?

* Thanks to Cupboard for the increase in my vocabulary!
soncdoommario
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the detailed info for the DDOM servers the server version is now a 1.09 beta instead of a 1.08.09 beta...
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

soncdoommario wrote:
If you look at the detailed info for the DDOM servers the server version is now a 1.09 beta instead of a 1.08.09 beta...

You just found that out ?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
fx02
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just you wait! It's coming Cool
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
[...] maybe you ever think it's maybe time to draw some kinda actual goallines here?

Not quite sure where you got the info from that no goallines exist.
You think we just randomly keep fixing/adding stuff until we get bored? Laughing
Since the beginning we had a todo list that has now ~4-5 items left.
One of these items is essential for a public beta and it has the highest priority right now.
rygrass
God like!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:
Cybershark wrote:
[...] maybe you ever think it's maybe time to draw some kinda actual goallines here?

You think we just randomly keep fixing/adding stuff until we get bored? Laughing
One of these items is essential for a public beta and it has the highest priority right now.

Maybe some more information on what it could be Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
soncdoommario
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rygrass wrote:

You just found that out ?

lol, yeah....but every other time that I checked the detailed info on those DDOM servers it said a 1.08.09 beta...
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

phenex2 wrote:

Oh, it's all pure conjecture on my part. I'm no authority on anything!
I'm sure there are goallines, but either you're repainting them somewhere past the horizon every week or so, or you're simply kicking the ball the wrong way Laughing

phenex2 wrote:

Not at all. I think you keep on randomly fixing/adding stuff even long after you get bored Laughing
I'm sure you'd like to convince yourself that this isn't true, but one only has to look back and see how the proposed 1flag/Bombing Run was dropped to make way for Ddom to see the somewhat whimsical nature of the development.

phenex2 wrote:

This all sounds very progressive - on paper at least. I just wonder how long those '~4-5 items' have been on the to-do list, and if they've gotten any closer to completion in all that time? Equally, the 'highest priority' bit sounds exciting too, but I'm sure whatever it was was HP a year ago too.

So Phenex spins it one way, I spin it the other... doesn't mean anything eitherway until there's some solid proof in people's hands. And I'll be happy to be proved (once again) to be an utter charlatan if it gets here anytime soon.

And lol at Sonic jizzing his pants over a single digit changing.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
Oh, it's all pure conjecture on my part. I'm no authority on anything!

Unfortunately people don't always realize that, so i am forced yet again to answer.

Cybershark wrote:
I'm sure there are goallines, but either you're repainting them somewhere past the horizon every week or so, or you're simply kicking the ball the wrong way Laughing

All work on ZD is done by volunteers that have a life outside of ZD. Naturally we can't set a 'deadline'. It would be nonsensical because its impossible to predict how many time one can invest.
What we do instead is maintain a 'semi-fixed' todo list for the upcoming version that we simply work off. Items get kicked off the list if the 'implementation time' vs. 'benefit/importance' is not worth it. Rarely new items get added if a game crippling bug or some security issue is found.

Cybershark wrote:
I'm sure you'd like to convince yourself that this isn't true, but one only has to look back and see how the proposed 1flag/Bombing Run was dropped to make way for Ddom to see the somewhat whimsical nature of the development.

You are really just biting the hand that feeds here. If i receive a paycheck from ZD i'll gladly discuss the 'nature of the development' with you.
Moreover, there was no fixed order for new gamemodes to be implemented. What is fixed though is the max number of new gamemodes for a new release: "one". It was decided that ddom would be implemented and you were informed VERY early about it. In fact we are still waiting for your maps, but i suppose its hopeless, because we commited the unforgivable sin to beta test the WIP ones without your approval.

Cybershark wrote:
I just wonder how long those '~4-5 items' have been on the to-do list

What does it matter how long they have been on the list? As mentioned above we are working off items from the list and these are the only ones left.

Cybershark wrote:
So Phenex spins it one way, I spin it the other...

Not quite. You make crude speculations, while i waste time refuting them with facts to set the record straight.
If anyone has questions about the development i am always ready to answer them in PM no matter what it is about,
but i am getting really tired to be forced to dismantle all kinds of conjectures in public.
TheCupboard
Generic Title

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In fact we are still waiting for your maps

Before you start saying things like that, maybe we should pretty much acknowledge the fact that it's entirely the other way around. There is very little cause to be waiting on the creation of maps at this point. There already exist enough of those for a modest-sized release. If you are looking for refined or perfect maps, well you're going to have to wait a while as people learn how to play the mode and develop the skills to create levels for it.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: