ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A few new linedefs types/ACS functions (server side)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shinobi-cl
Dominating!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:43 pm    Post subject: A few new linedefs types/ACS functions (server side) Reply with quote

Just some ideas to add more flexibility to zdaemon servers

Impassible through texture: Would allow easy fences that can still be shot through.

Player vote map: Its parameter is the map voted for.
Player unvote map: Cancel player's map vote.

Player vote yesno: Its parameter is 1 for yes, 0 for no
Player unvote yesno: ehm...

Player vote skill: Its parameter is the skill voted for (0..4).
Player unvote skill: Cancel player's skill vote.

Player vote wad: Its parameter is the wad voted for. (i.e. żdo we want to use tskins1e.wad?)
Player unvote wad: Cancel player's wad vote.

Player vote DMFLAGS: Its parameter is a value to add to DMFLAGS. It is an integer (positive or negative) (i.e. Do we want a match with 'Weapons Stay'?) A second parameter might be 1=DMFLAGS or 2=DMFLAGS2
Player unvote DMFLAGS: Cancel player's DMFLAGS vote.

(When a player disconnects, all his/her votes are cancelled)

Most of these linedefs should have effect in the server rather than in the player. Another better way and simpler i think is to have ACS functions for that. Then we only use a line to trigger the function, as its possible to have a function that runs ONLY in the server. That would allow more flexibility
(Example, if you vote shooting to some 'selector wall', this would choose MAP05 from Somefile.wad plus choosing nobfg.wad. Not having a certain wad just closes zdaemon and issues a 'connect' order to the launcher again. Maybe a 'register external wads' ACS function (another server side only function) would make this more consistent and adds those wads to the reported 'required wads' list).

All this would allow to have 'map selector' maps.

We could, for example, have a wad that allows to choose between small, medium and small maps on a megawad, so the players will be never forced to play into HUGE maps with few people, or just ask for inmediate revenge after a losed game Twisted Evil

EDITED:
Maybe a more flexible way yet is that, for example, we make a generic 8 map selector. Then the server would load some txt files specifing the server config or maplist. Named MAPCHOOSER01.zs, MAPCHOOSER01.zs, etc.. .At the end of the maplist the server would return to the map selector. Then we just need enough MAPCHOOSER files as to satisfy the ammount of Map choosers in the map selector.A text will be shown on, for example, a MAPCHOXX texture, so it shows the MOTD of the MAPCHOOSERXX.zs file.

Last edited by shinobi-cl on Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Kruczyslaw
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh..oh..ahh...

Quote:

Impassible through texture: Would allow easy fences that can still be shot through.

Dunno what you need it for but... thats looks like somethin that need to be added from scratch to to zdoom 1.X/Zdaemon code.. Dunno if somone gonna be interesed with impleting somethin like that by dangerous of unstability

Quote:

Player vote map: Its parameter is the map voted for.
Player unvote map: Cancel player's map vote.

[...]

Why bothering about somethin wich is alredy done, impleted and works fine humm?

About map selector:

Thats feature needs a buntch of netcode in both..clent ans server side also awsome synchro.. I dont think that Kilgore agrees to add that
shinobi-cl
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember seeing this "map selector" functionality in Q3 but just now i remembered where it was:

http://www.q3central.com/files/quake3/mods/threewave/manual/6.html

There is a good description of the idea i would like to see implemented by such "map selector" map. (With some limitations, of course)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah Shin... that's a lot of seperate requests you've dumped all in one thread.

shinobi-cl wrote:

ST have imported something like this from Zdoom and it allows you to make the usual kind of fake 3D bridges but without having to use the bridge things. The textures themselves become effectively solid and apparently items do not fall through such structures. Definitely sounds cool to me.

As Kruk says then we really do have all the map voting support we need already. Go check out one of those ZDDL3.1 servers and you'll see it's all pretty much done there.

Skill setting can be handled by RCON, and as for voting for WADs... well, I think you'll have to clarify what you mean there. Really players don't want to be having to screw around for five minutes with every setting under the sun before they can play a game though. Why would they want to waste so much time when it'd be quicker for them to set up their own server from scratch? Laughing
shinobi-cl
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, exactly like MAP00 from zddl3.1! But instead of casting a vote, for example, you just walk through the MAP image (or shoot at it), and that cast a vote for that map. And then you are teleported to another sector where you just wait, or cancel your vote just to be teleported to the 'map selection' area.
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shinobi-cl wrote:
Yes, exactly like MAP00 from zddl3.1! But instead of casting a vote, for example, you just walk through the MAP image (or shoot at it), and that cast a vote for that map. And then you are teleported to another sector where you just wait, or cancel your vote just to be teleported to the 'map selection' area.

While I could be wrong on this, I believe such a thing would not be possible until 1.10 as it would require support for Hexen hubs.
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madgunner wrote:
While I could be wrong on this, I believe such a thing would not be possible until 1.10 as it would require support for Hexen hubs.

http://zdoom.org/wiki/Teleport_NewMap
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what EQ said.
Teleport_NewMap works already. It's a mystery to me why it isn't used in the zddl wad unless you deliberately wanted to use voting.
You could use some method that would require both players to press a switch (coopbuild style).

As for the other requests. When we implement some form of on the fly wad switching we could probably take care of the case where
one would have the same map with different dmflags to pick from.

completely customized voting for server setting like in e.g. quakeworld is maybe a bit too sophisticated for the normal user that just wants to play a game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Rejected Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: