ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boom-style Teleport Linedefs Don't Always Preserve Angle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 10, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Boom-style Teleport Linedefs Don't Always Preserve Angle Reply with quote

First, some background: a linedef-to-linedef teleport is like any silent teleport, except a linedef is used as the destination spot. This means I can have a long teleport line, and depending on where I touch that linedef, I will pop out of the destination linedef at that exact same point relative to it, assuming both linedefs have an equal length. This makes teleporting to separate areas in the map a very seamless affair, and is also very useful in constructing "fake" 3D maps.

The angle you are moving in is always preserved but *relative* to the linedefs themselves. Meaning if I have a north-south teleport linedef and the destination linedef is west-east, moving through the teleport linedef moving east will make me pop out at the destination linedef moving north. The angle you are facing is also preserved in the same fashion.

So to make up a different scenario with the same linedef teleport setup, if I move through the teleport linedef moving east, but facing north, I should always end up popping out at the destination linedef moving north but facing west (90 degrees to the left of my emergence).

Now, the problem lies here. Sometimes, and I don't know the exact circumstances, a player will move through the linedef, but the angle they are facing isn't always preserved relative to the linedefs.

So the bugged situation might look like this: I move into the teleport linedef going east and facing east, but when I pop out, I am correctly moving northwards, but I am still facing east. This is wrong and depending on the setup can immensely fuck up the seamless teleporting effect.

Now I believe this may only occur when you have a linedef-to-linedef teleport after you have landed from a previous linedef-to-linedef teleport. I'm guessing the netcode doesn't "have enough time" to remember what angle you're supposed to be facing.

Despite all this, however, the effect works fine offline. This is something that occurs online only.

Example: http://doom.iri5.net/earthquake/diadromos1.wad

Hit the switch to reveal the teleport gateway. Walk through it, and you'll will cross a series of silent teleport linedefs grabbing the BFG along the way. The teleportation works fine, but if you move through the gateway fast enough, your angle is not always preserved, and you'll sometimes come out facing the direction of the exit door. You should walk through and come back out facing the opposite direction of that which you entered.

The problem lies with the sector that the player is originally teleported to. Once they arrive there, they are facing west. But soon after arrival they are teleported via another teleport linedef. When they emerge from the red teleport gate. The angle was not set relative to the second teleport linedef.
Krawa
There is a limit

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile fixed. Works the same way in ZDoom, ZDaemon Single Player and online.
http://85.214.149.120/demowads/teleport_line_demo.wad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Fixed Bugs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: