ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yo Yo (part 2 of part 3)
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Rexnor
Spamming!


Joined: 21 Aug 2006
Location: Monterrey, Mexicoshire Clan: [R]

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in the day we tried to open a CTF tournament, but we know clans or even teams are kinda hard to follow, since people are on at different times, and rite now, we'd like to put the 1v1 tourneys up to date ASAP, I'll talk to bones and mike if we could organize a CTF tourney, a fast one, just to see the response, it's a good idea, indeed, but it has been brought to light before, without success, though Sad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Iceykiller
has entered the game!


Joined: 29 Jul 2010

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the past I have learned that desperate times bring out the best in people. And as it is, ZDaemon is heading for a ledge. Perhaps the desperate need for some improvement will have a hand in making the idea work better this time Wink
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Cybershark
Spamming!


Joined: 05 Jan 2005
Location: off the grid, but still fighting for the users!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I saw mentioned in one of these threads was about the loss of the TT 8on8 ZDCTF server, and then it being replaced by DUI.

I'm amazed that anyone thought it was a good idea to bring back. Isn't 8on8 on 90% of those maps just so 2004? Personally I'd rather have my brains bashed out in a friendly-fire dbzone server than play that crapshoot.

I get that there's good and great maps in there, and that it's nice to have servers active and busy. But really, couldn't this be locked down at 5on5 or 6on6? Then you got 4-6 players that are free to go start up another game someplace. Or maybe when the client limit gets upped then we can have some 16v16 servers for this too? Rolling Eyes


Oh and why do all the IDL servers have to be passworded? I'm not talking about the actual league servers, which are unadvertised. But couldn't someone run just one public server for that pack?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
_Beast_
Spamming!


Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Location: Clan [R]enegad3s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cybershark wrote:
One thing I saw mentioned in one of these threads was about the loss of the TT 8on8 ZDCTF server, and then it being replaced by DUI.

I'm amazed that anyone thought it was a good idea to bring back. Isn't 8on8 on 90% of those maps just so 2004? Personally I'd rather have my brains bashed out in a friendly-fire dbzone server than play that crapshoot.

I get that there's good and great maps in there, and that it's nice to have servers active and busy. But really, couldn't this be locked down at 5on5 or 6on6? Then you got 4-6 players that are free to go start up another game someplace. Or maybe when the client limit gets upped then we can have some 16v16 servers for this too? Rolling Eyes


Oh and why do all the IDL servers have to be passworded? I'm not talking about the actual league servers, which are unadvertised. But couldn't someone run just one public server for that pack?


The map list on the DUI server isn't edited for high octane play, but I have to say the flags are 'ok'. IMHO I keep 8 on 8 servers because 'new ppl' ultimately will fit in and feel more comfortable in this setting. In an unbalanced 8 on 8 noobs are actually given the chance by numbers if teams are uneven vs a 4 on 4 where 1 or 2 experienced players would easily dominate. Before Rampage went down it offered such things but they were seldom played do to such reasons. Plus no one wants to wait to play. If you prefer well organized ctf and new maps play privileged privatized ctf that not everyone is privy too. In this, we seldom go past 5 on 5. Most games are 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 with teams picked by random captains. The most strategic captain wins, this requires you to know the skill sets of the players involved in the game. We often get captains that come in and pick friends and are unaware of how to build a team, and in some cases this is frowned upon because the whole point is to have a highly competitive game not a 1 to 2 minute total debacle of hard and fast pwnage. Thats what stacked public games are for. Making multiple 4 on 4 public servers would create games but I doubt they would last long, in a truly healthy community which I have seen, their were multiple 8 on 8 servers full, and I have to admit when I am not in serious mode Iike to raid with my allies, its my version of endurance.

I ASSume they (passworded servers) are passworded so that people can have some organized type of game on them without idiots doing idiotic things. Voting to play the same map over and over again because they can't function/spam on another map, switch teams constantly, just plain old being in the way etc....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
AF-Domains.net
Dark Messenger of IRC


Joined: 01 Jun 2002
Location: United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

_Beast_ wrote:
Cybershark wrote:
One thing I saw mentioned in one of these threads was about the loss of the TT 8on8 ZDCTF server, and then it being replaced by DUI.

I'm amazed that anyone thought it was a good idea to bring back. Isn't 8on8 on 90% of those maps just so 2004? Personally I'd rather have my brains bashed out in a friendly-fire dbzone server than play that crapshoot.

I get that there's good and great maps in there, and that it's nice to have servers active and busy. But really, couldn't this be locked down at 5on5 or 6on6? Then you got 4-6 players that are free to go start up another game someplace. Or maybe when the client limit gets upped then we can have some 16v16 servers for this too? Rolling Eyes


Oh and why do all the IDL servers have to be passworded? I'm not talking about the actual league servers, which are unadvertised. But couldn't someone run just one public server for that pack?


The map list on the DUI server isn't edited for high octane play, but I have to say the flags are 'ok'. IMHO I keep 8 on 8 servers because 'new ppl' ultimately will fit in and feel more comfortable in this setting. In an unbalanced 8 on 8 noobs are actually given the chance by numbers if teams are uneven vs a 4 on 4 where 1 or 2 experienced players would easily dominate. Before Rampage went down it offered such things but they were seldom played do to such reasons. Plus no one wants to wait to play. If you prefer well organized ctf and new maps play privileged privatized ctf that not everyone is privy too. In this, we seldom go past 5 on 5. Most games are 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 with teams picked by random captains. The most strategic captain wins, this requires you to know the skill sets of the players involved in the game. We often get captains that come in and pick friends and are unaware of how to build a team, and in some cases this is frowned upon because the whole point is to have a highly competitive game not a 1 to 2 minute total debacle of hard and fast pwnage. Thats what stacked public games are for. Making multiple 4 on 4 public servers would create games but I doubt they would last long, in a truly healthy community which I have seen, their were multiple 8 on 8 servers full, and I have to admit when I am not in serious mode Iike to raid with my allies, its my version of endurance.

I ASSume they (passworded servers) are passworded so that people can have some organized type of game on them without idiots doing idiotic things. Voting to play the same map over and over again because they can't function/spam on another map, switch teams constantly, just plain old being in the way etc....


There is more than one DUI ZDCTF (1/2 and 1/2/3) server instance.

2 5v5 type, 2 8v8 types.

If there are any suggestions, let me know.

I can't look into any of this if I'm not told.

I prefer not to find out after apparant complaints have gone out either.

I won't bite too much.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Ronald
Rontard


Joined: 17 Aug 2005
Location: Netherlands Clan: [QnB]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: I kid you not Reply with quote

I had an interesting experience today on #skulltag. It reminded me of complaints about administrators on here. It made me realise that our administrators ban for valid reasons. When you see the reason why I was banned from #skulltag, you will realise that it could have been a lot worse on here, if we had similar administrators who just ban because they can. A lot worse!

So, what has happened? Well, I was just chilling, just played a little CTF on Zdaemon and was about to play some coop on Skulltag. But I don't do these kind of things without some socializing with my great pals on here. So here I was, socializing in #skulltag, when I suddenly got banned for saying this.

......

Yeah, so, I was like: WHAT THE DEUCE? But apparantly this kid was serious about the ban as we can see here. I kid you not. I thought he was kidding me, but he was not. What a pity.

So remember kiddies! The situation could've been a lot worse.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Doom2pro
Spamming!


Joined: 03 Oct 2002
Location: Glens Falls, NY. USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I kid you not Reply with quote

Ronald wrote:
I had an interesting experience today on #skulltag. It reminded me of complaints about administrators on here. It made me realise that our administrators ban for valid reasons. When you see the reason why I was banned from #skulltag, you will realise that it could have been a lot worse on here, if we had similar administrators who just ban because they can. A lot worse!

So, what has happened? Well, I was just chilling, just played a little CTF on Zdaemon and was about to play some coop on Skulltag. But I don't do these kind of things without some socializing with my great pals on here. So here I was, socializing in #skulltag, when I suddenly got banned for saying this.

......

Yeah, so, I was like: WHAT THE DEUCE? But apparantly this kid was serious about the ban as we can see here. I kid you not. I thought he was kidding me, but he was not. What a pity.

So remember kiddies! The situation could've been a lot worse.


Like being banned from #skulltag is the worst thing in the world... I think you will live. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jagi
has entered the game!


Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Location: Clearwater,FL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: agreed Reply with quote

Yeah that port is pretty bad. Did u see the wads they got? ghouls vs humans and all out war. total doom killer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
TheCupboard
Generic Title


Joined: 25 Feb 2007
Location: USA

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Doom source port is not equivalent to what mods people make for it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Jagi
has entered the game!


Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Location: Clearwater,FL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah thats true my bad bro. heres a redo of that last one Razz Gvh and aow are horrible wad/mods and st has crappy damage,shitty ssg, bad autoaim support for os, plethora of power trippers and is downright newb.
But i gotta say coop over there is somewhat enjoyable
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
_Beast_
Spamming!


Joined: 11 Nov 2006
Location: Clan [R]enegad3s

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mr. Af-Domains, I'm not complaining or anything, I actually told niv about the flags on the dui ctf servers a while back and they have been adjusted since then. I actually think the dui servers have a pretty good connection for me at least. My main complaint was the flags and I think they are cool now.

Ok wait I did say the map lineup, part of what I do with my public servers is I adjust the map line up in order to keep the interest going. For instance instead of playing:

map 1,2,3,4,5,6
I would change it to

map 1,3,4,8,18 etc

As mentioned I even changed the number of players to like 5 on 5 for those maps then I made another server instance where I had

map 19, 11, 28 can't remember all the numbers but I'll say the larger maps and I increased the players to 8 on 8

and lastly

map 6,2,7,22 ..again not sure if those are the right numbers but the maps where it requires some hardcore action to score I also grouped together

With the introduction of new map packs the customization and merging of wads has taken place, ChaosCore will be releasing a map pack similar to the IDL map pack but it will reorder the maps for 'high octane' play.

So all I would say is adjust the map list, other than that its cool
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shane
Posting Spree!


Joined: 10 May 2010
Location: This Place

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm if only it was possible to set certain Player Limits on designated maps. Such as one map being a 6 vs. 6 then the next one would be 3 vs. 3

EDIT: (Hint Hint)
Since people were complaining about how many players were in it, I just stated the solution


Last edited by Shane on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Madgunner
God like!


Joined: 23 Nov 2003
Location: Atlanta,GA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[O]Emzee[O] wrote:
Hmm if only it was possible to set certain Player Limits on designated maps. Such as one map being a 6 vs. 6 then the next one would be 3 vs. 3


Cvar overrides?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Doom2pro
Spamming!


Joined: 03 Oct 2002
Location: Glens Falls, NY. USA

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Madgunner wrote:
[O]Emzee[O] wrote:
Hmm if only it was possible to set certain Player Limits on designated maps. Such as one map being a 6 vs. 6 then the next one would be 3 vs. 3


Cvar overrides?


That can be found in the "Map List" editor in ZSL, create a map list and select a map number then click the "cvar overrides" button and add a cvar.

If you do not wish to use a maplist and just want cvar overrides, check the "Don't treat as maplist" checkbox in the Map List editor.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group