ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yo Yo
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[DA]DarthBane
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you phenix and staff for this up coming update.
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well time for me to enter the fray and give my two cents. Smile

Quote:
ZDaemon needs new maps. There are only a handful of maps that are overplayed by the community.

No, what ZDaemon needs is server admins who are willing to put up different maps. There are plenty of other good maps out there, but they never get playtime because no servers run them. Making new maps will have absolutely no effect if server admins refuse to host them.

Why not replace the Brit10 servers with UDMX servers instead? In fact why not do this to all the overplayed maps? Sure some of the community will groan about this and be like "WTF DID U DO TO MY Exec/Brit10/ZDCTF/D5m1/Judas! HOW DARE U! IMMA GONNA HUNT U DOWN BITCH! THIS IS A CRIME WORTHY OF DEATH!" but they'll eventually get over it and learn the new maps. If enough server hosts would do this, then the stale maps issue would be mitigated severely.
Quiksilver
Spamming!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm going to take a step outside my confines and possibly get Ladna or Nostar shitty at me, but I can throw anyones map on a totaltrash server for playtesting, as long as they approach me. I'm taking a leap of faith and thinking that ladna won't mind me using control of the servers he gave me to get someones wad playtested for a while. Server Admins I believe, don't really have issue with hooking someone up to help them get a wad played. In fact, in my experience, most of the popular server (TT, Funcrusher, Node, all of those) admins are LOOKING to bring freshness to their servers. Good wads get gameplay, and if they are epic, the will continually get gameplay.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a strange community: you get attacked and then people complain because you defended yourself. I'll talk only from my POV; other admins may see things in a different light. Here we go:
  • Ralphis: there was a time when ralphis was not banned. One day he got upset about something concerning deathzor (which was none of ralphis business mind you) and we suddenly saw this post where he complained to ID about zdaemon. His alexmax buddy did the same on Romero's forum and he kept badmouthing us on any other forum he could find. These people are pretty good at PR and organizing campaigns that further their goals: I give them that.

I'm not going to argue about all the fine points of copyright law. I'll only say 4 things:

• getwad is equally guilty of copyright infringement as google is, and as any ftp client or web browser is. You want to block piracy, go to the people hosting the pirated wads. This has been established ages ago.
    • The fact that ID didn't do anything about it, tells you something about my argument. Do you think they'd let it fly if it were illegal?
    • Even if getwad were illegal, what exactly is ralphis' stake in that? is he an ID shareholder? (you do need a direct financial involvement to attack someone for copyright). Is he a member of some copyright police? This community reeks of hypocricy: people download tons of tunes, movies, software from torrents, or you have whole businesses like rapidshare that are built on the raping of copyrights and yet, some people here tear their clothes for some 16 yr. old wad that would not sell for over $3 on the market today.
    • If someone hates our guts so much, why is he around? just to cause pain to us? do we owe him that?

To put things in perspective, these gentlemen tried to get us in legal trouble, which means real life trouble and without any provocation from our side. This went far beyond the "some silly game" realm. Our reaction was the minimum possible, i.e., show them the door so they can live their life and we can live ours. That is far less than what they did to us. And now you are talking about grudges... the only grudge here comes from ralphis who keeps organizing his PR campaigns thinking that he can generate enough pressure to let him back in.

Consequently, ralphis and alexmax are out for good. Get over it. I've been totally frank about it, and I really don't appreciate their PR campaigns being served on our forum. Enough said.

• Quiksilver and others asking for ralphis unbanning: you're free to forgive and forget when someone tries to get you in legal trouble. But given that he did it to us, then you don't get to decide.

• The IDL issue: this is related to the ralphis issue. When that gentleman got banned from here, he tried to come up with a zdaemon alternative so he could take our players away. That was an attempted resurrection of csdoom (renamed to odamex). He soon realized how much work it is to make and maintain a doom port, so this was abandoned. His next attempt was a league running on private servers so ralphis can play on it and also "stick it to zdaemon" (by taking zdaemon players out of public servers). That league was IDL. So.... what's the argument? support a league run by ralphis and whose purpose is to "stick it to zdaemon" ? are we crazy here? If you guys want zdaemon to support a league (any league), make sure it doesn't run on private servers; if it does, then you're not doing zdaemon any favor and zdaemon will reciprocate.

• Ladna and his IRC bot: even if we wanted to support the IDL (which we don't), there is no way we'd let random people run bots on our chat server: there was a reason we went to the trouble of making our own chat client and our own server, and that was to control what sort of software runs in there.

• Kitty: I'm glad you show us your feelings. Let's just say that they're mutual; don't let the door hit you on your way out.

• Supernova: you're lucky I know you and I realize you're not an asshole as your posts make you out to be. Now you're forcing me to type all this shit from some netbook with an impossible-to-type keyboard. What the heck is this? you demand an answer or else? that's not very polite. And I don't think I've ever treated you badly.

• Quiksilver again: The frigging changelog is well known: it is on the first page of the web site, we have added requests, bugs sections on the forum, there are many references to it if you bother to check. If you don't, then that's your problem. There won't be personal notifications for
    Roi Soleil. Sorry.
I could go on for quite more if I had a decent kbd. Let's call it quits for now.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: