ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Server-side player memory.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Server-side player memory. Reply with quote

There was some talk about this in the past, but I'm not sure if it was seriously considered. Anyways, I've got an extended proposition that can apply to all game modes with the possible exception to Survival.

Anyways, when players disconnect, whether it be intentional, a timeout, or a client crash, the server can keep a short log of all recent players and their different properties depending on the game mode, so that when they reconnect they won't lose their progress.

The important statistics are those found in the scoreboards for the corresponding game modes, so recording all of these (kills, frags, deaths, CTF points) would be important for reconstructing the player's position on the scoreboard. In all cases, only two to three variables need to be tracked per player for any given game mode. For cooperative mode, I'd stress recording keys acquired during the duration of the game, but only if keep keys is enabled on the server.

When the map ends, the table gets wiped. An integer server variable could control this feature in it's entirety, where 0 means disabled, any positive value is the the time in minutes before a particular entry is removed automatically (perhaps a default of 5 minutes), and -1 means the entries only get removed at the end of the map.

If automatically removing entries as time passed puts too much load on the server, then I guess the control variable could just be a boolean value that remembers the player list until the end of the map. I'm not too sure on the requirements of the implementation, so there are other things I'm unsure of how to handle, like the maximum number of players recorded, et cetera.

Anyways, just an idea. Feel free to discuss here on how to improve the idea or if any of you have some solid ideas on how exactly to implement it. Thanks.
phenex2
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is definitely a planned feature.
I think there should be no game mode restrictions though.
This issue has already been discussed with Kilgore and we had the following idea:
Count a reconnect as a suicide, so it won't be abused in any gamemode.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The suicide is key to this. If it were not for it, everyone in any mode would simply hit alt-f4 when he's low on health and you're coming hard on him. And of course, this will work provided that (1) the round has not ended and (2) the player comes back within N seconds (N is to be determined yet: 30-45 seconds seems like a reasonable value to me).
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a 1vs1 I'd have thought 30-45 seconds is too much. Normally with a crash or something you can get back in the game after 20 seconds max, maybe that timelimit can be thought over some more. Just my suggestion
HumanBones
Boner!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm disconnected quite often, and it usually takes me about 45 seconds to reconnect because my computer is just terribly old and has way too many files and a good amount of spyware on it.

I'd go with 45 seconds just to be safe anyway, but I know I would fail if it was anything under 30!
EarthQuake
Wicked Sick!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best option would be a server-controlled amount. If someone has difficulties playing on their favorite server, they could request the value to be increased if it proved problematic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> Pending Requests All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: