ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

future version ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybershark
Spamming!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People still have those messages turned on? Surprised
Eagle-Eye
God like!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniper wrote:
"Sniper's wicked sick was ended by Welkin"

Don't flatter yourself!
twipley
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twipley wrote:
(1) add pillarboxing option for widescreen monitors, because nvidia custom resolution here is still not working, as black borders never appear. i would have hoped newest drivers to fix the issue, but it seems on my platform it will never happen. however, stretched widescreen is playable, and causes no significant problems;

(2) jump key auto-mapped to "space," and autorun enabled by default;

(3) the "midi" and "sound effects" parameters may have to be increased to as to reach classic doom values. i may be mistaken, but isn't on the other hand brightness higher than it should be? out-of-the-box normal settings could benefit some newbies, even though most people seem quite at ease navigating through the options. however, i can hear some saying "if they are too incompetent to increase sound volume by themselves, they are too incompetent to play zdaemon altogether."

shouldn't those be fixed in time for the v1.09 release?
cha0tix
Unstoppable!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twipley wrote:
twipley wrote:
(1) add pillarboxing option for widescreen monitors, because nvidia custom resolution here is still not working, as black borders never appear. i would have hoped newest drivers to fix the issue, but it seems on my platform it will never happen. however, stretched widescreen is playable, and causes no significant problems;

(3) the "midi" and "sound effects" parameters may have to be increased to as to reach classic doom values. i may be mistaken, but isn't on the other hand brightness higher than it should be? out-of-the-box normal settings could benefit some newbies, even though most people seem quite at ease navigating through the options. however, i can hear some saying "if they are too incompetent to increase sound volume by themselves, they are too incompetent to play zdaemon altogether."

Pillarboxing working for me on Linux. Something on your end?
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Twipley wrote:

As far as I know they are already set to out of the out-of-the-box defaults when you download the game. Either way, I think it would be better if people would just take the 15 or so seconds it takes to adjust ZDaemon to their needs, rather than asking the developers to do that for them. Besides, just about everyone customizes ZDaemon differently. Who gets to decide which customization becomes the default one? While you may want auto run enabled by default, other people might not.

P.S. The reason the default jump key is "/" instead of the space bar is because that was what Hexen chose.
twipley
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright for the two first ones, then. But hey, it appears to me that they aren't already "set to out of the out-of-the-box defaults." If I am not mistaken, the brightness really is too high, and the music really too soft.

I have written that months ago, and haven't really played Doom back since then, but if I'm right a lot of people are playing using wrong values, and the worse is that they might not even be aware of that fact.
Madgunner
Dominating!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

twipley wrote:
Alright for the two first ones, then. But hey, it appears to me that they aren't already "set to out of the out-of-the-box defaults." If I am not mistaken, the brightness really is too high, and the music really too soft.

Look, I hate to be a bitch about this, but I don't know how else to explain this...

The developers aren't going to spend time on this issue. Even if they were set to the out of the box defaults, (I'm pretty sure they are already.) it isn't going to look identical to doom2.exe. ZDoom uses a different renderer than doom2.exe and is modernized for a windows environment. It simply will not look like doom2.exe unless the developers chose to completely rewrite it. And I can personally assure you that they have absolutely no interest in doing so. You also have to take into account that depending on how the contrast and brightness is set on one's monitor, it could be at the default Doom brightness setting of 1.0 (which is supposed to be very dark) and still look bright. The same can be said about the sound and music settings.

To summarize all of this, if you really want out of the box settings, then just do it yourself. There's nothing that needs to be changed about how the default settings are right now.

Twipley wrote:

I have written that months ago, and haven't really played Doom back since then, but if I'm right a lot of people are playing using wrong values, and the worse is that they might not even be aware of that fact.

Maybe the reason people are playing with "wrong" values is because they dislike the default values? I for one have my brightness and sound volume jacked up because I find that it's detrimental to my skills if I can't see nor hear my opponent well. I also disable the music for the exact same reason. Even when doom2.exe was the only thing around, I'm sure people were using non-default volume and brightness levels. (I can personally vouch for this again.)

I'm sorry Twipley, but I highly doubt the developers are going to expend time on this inane request. However, if you have some better feature requests, then be sure to let them know.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

• Pillarboxing: it will be done even if you didn't request it; it's been in the to-do list for a while.
  • Default binding of jump to space: NO. That's the "use" key because God said so. I'll probably add another bind for the jump key.
  • Autorun on by default: should be already done in the last release.
  • Sound params and screen brightness: they're just fine the way they are. I'll turn your argument around saying "if they're so crazy about hi-fidelity but too incompetent to change them by themselves, they are too incompetent to play zdaemon altogether".
Having said that: it's time to retire this thread too. The place for feature requests is the new forum: go there and make the requests. Just please observe the forum rules and make a thread per request (and NOT a post with 4 unrelated requests) so they can be handled appropriately.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    ZDaemon Forum Index -> ZDaemon Development All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: