ZDaemon Forum Index ZDaemon
Client/Server DOOM

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ZDaemon 1.06 Released!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario Dan(ABC)
Posting Spree!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better than I thought.
PitrDeVries
has entered the game!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:03 am    Post subject: Yes! Reply with quote

Alright, it out, its great the same greate taste, but a bold new look! Good Job you guys, keep it up!

And, for the record: Woo I suck. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CodeImp
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, thanks for changing the protocol and not to let me know about it. You just made your stuff the only things usable. Good move, especially at these times.

Heh, and no source to find anywhere either.
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knock off the demeaning attitude. If you'd maybe look, or ask, you'd be told that the only thing that changed is the number 105 for the version went to 106.
CodeImp
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IF that was told, I could have read it yes.
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, if it was asked for, it would have been told. Come to think of it, maybe I should retract my response which told you what was changed, and wait for you to ask (not that you would, since you have what you need now). You need to stop expecting people to volunteer information that is easily asked for, and even more easily found out by opening a packet sniffer.
CodeImp
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didnt break compatability so stop blaming me for anything, and im not gonna spend the rest of my day decyphering a binary protocol, who knows what might have changed.
Raider
Lazy Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to email you last night. The only address I had for you is no longer valid. I also tried the email address you *had* in the forum profile. That too was invalid.

Unknown user: code_imp@hotmail.com
Unknown user: gherkin@xodemultimedia.com

I also tried to contact Manc, because I figured he would have your email address. He was not available until you had already found out.

So, thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt.

Last edited by Raider on Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:00 am; edited 1 time in total
CodeImp
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes sorry, my email changed, a while back already. My current email address is shown here.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About source code availability: we always offer it as opposed to some other doom ports that come to mind; i don't think it's fair to complain about this when the new release is only 2 frigging hours old. As every new release, this one has problems too and we're in the middle of fixing them. Wouldn't you prefer to get the sources after those issues have been resolved?
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm already starting to hate how the anti-speedhack feature is implemented. I strafe run and get shot in the back...

You have been kicked from the server for the following reason:
Speedhack

Bleh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CodeImp wrote:
I didnt break compatability so stop blaming me for anything, and im not gonna spend the rest of my day decyphering a binary protocol, who knows what might have changed.

I'm not blaming you. I'm just telling you that you're going about things in a bad manner, deciding that, "these guys didn't post what changed in the protocol, they must not like anyone else," instead of, "what you'd guys change?" seemed to be a better potential response. Asssuming that past history would be a motive for an oversight due to a single number (which while related, is not always a clear relation in the soruce) being changed.

And deciphering a [partially] binary protocol isn't all that hard.. I like to believe I know, I've done enough of them.

Again, "who knows what might have changed" - you could have asked. But no, you just seemed to assume that it was done on purpose.

To generalize this a little more. It is often the case in most game development (even by the big companies) that their own tools come first, and as details are released (which in some cases are pointed out as details overlooked by the dev's and drawn to attention by the users/clients) the programs which are supportive to it are updated.. it's never an instantaneous process.
Raider
Lazy Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've always notified each of our associates (gherkin, bond and of course the major server owners). Before every release, we ask ourselves “who else needs to know about this�? I do it as a courtesy, as well as to maintain compatibility. This time communication broke down.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathz0r, I hate that implementation even more than you do, because now is everybody after me... the idea is good, but it needs some better tuning; unfortunately, when it bites, it bites hard. Sorry about it; it was the best I could do given the extremely limited amount of time I had and it was obviously not well tested. For this reason, I have included an "off" switch in the server to disable the check; right now, most servers are turning it off; the L@P servers will turn it off in a few hours because the Godfather is sleeping right now; he'll do it as soon as he wakes up. There will soon be a point release (for servers only) with a proper implementation of the speed check. Again I apologize for the problem; it's entirely my fault of not getting it tested enough before release.
deathz0r
Custom Title

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, it's fine. I've already asked Manc to disable it on the Unidoom servers. I am well aware of the time restraint that you had on implementing the feature, so I'm not strongly pissed off at you for that. I guess it's a good thing that there are no tourney matches (that I know of) that are going on within the next few days, else there'd be a lot a trouble if the corresponding tourney servers had speed checking enabled.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CodeImp
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I thought everybody knew about me new address by now.

About the source; I dont really need it, I would just have needed it to figure out the protocol, but thats fine now Smile I couldnt find it on the site, not the old version either, where did you put that? Or is it by request only?
Lyfe
Puts the 'Z' in ZDaemon

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raider used to have a link on the zdaemon.org page (I don't see the link now, after many ages of me last seeing it, and probably a few edits to the page) which had a bunch of downloads on it. Source versions would eventually show up on there, sometimes at the same time as a minor release, sometimes not for a few weeks. That all depended on remembering to upload it, and often probably depended on someone requesting it.
CodeImp
On a Rampage!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and can you add a value to the protocol of the Server -> Launcher data that tells if its a CTF game? It works without as well, but I think thats the only way I can show it in DC as game mode = CTF.
Kilgore
Air Cavalry

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CodeImp wrote:
... I would just have needed it to figure out the [protocol, but thats fine now I couldnt find it on the site, not the old version either, where did you put that? Or is it by request only?
No; not at all. It's just that I started updating it since xooz left and I have fallen behind due to all other activities Embarassed. I can promise you to finish it within the next 2-3 days though. BTW, I have already notified you some time ago about the (rather small) extensions to the launcher-related protocols. The only other changes since then is the version number that got bumped from 105 to 106 and the one you ask next:

CodeImp wrote:
Oh and can you add a value to the protocol of the Server -> Launcher data that tells if its a CTF game? It works without as well, but I think thats the only way I can show it in DC as game mode = CTF.

Done already; CTF servers report a value of 3 for the gametype.
fodders_DS
God like!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will turning off the speed check see a return of the speed cheaters?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ZDaemon Forum Index -> General Offtopic Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: